Can Rourke Still Win MOP

With 5 Performer of tbe week awards, is it not reasonable that he still wins tbe MOP in only half a season of work?
He very well might get a 6th performer of the week award. He would still have won it in 1/3 of all weeks in which his team played a game despite him only playing in half of the games.

1 Like

I sincerely doubt the CFL would stick their neck out to do anything nearly so controversial. Not sure if they have the b... umm ... nerve to do it.

1 Like

I could see him also get another performer of the month.

1 Like

Well... I think he's a shoe in for 'honorable mention'.

What's happening in BC is an anomally. We've rarely had a starting Canadian QB in this league who could stay in that role for long, let alone TWO OF THEM on one team. No sooner does one go down after EXACTLY half a season's service, the other pops up. Micheal O'Connor is now the starting QB for the second half of the season and wouldn't it be ridiculous if BC didn't miss a beat.

Look how he did during his brief appearance in the Saskatchewan game. He was five for five for Pete's sake. The guy was perfect. Keep in mind he's surrounded by weapons. If he goes on a passing tear against the weakened Riders on Friday he might walk away with his first performer of the week award. He's got the talent and believe it or not, he's got EXACTLY the same amount of games left in the season to mirror Rourke's accomplishments. Wouldn't it be jaw dropping to see the whole 'Super Canuck QB' scenario play out AGAIN in the same season on the SAME team?!!

2 Likes

Too much like a wet dream, I'll be happy if he can scrape us some wins in whatever fashion he can manage. Damn this realism I'm cursed with.

1 Like

Well, we don't know about O'Conner yet. Small sample size and likely very few first team reps.
Lets see how he handles this. Ya never know......could put up his own MOP performance......

3 Likes

Reality is something that the BC Lions left behind the moment they thought they could get away with starting two inexperienced Canadian Quarterbacks. Now that they're an amazing 8-1 with inexperience Canadian QB #2 at the helm and still likely to win... I think they've entered the 'Twilight Zone'.

2 Likes

I like the fact he'll have a week before his first start but better yet 3 weeks before his second due to the bye. This is his time to show us his stuff, he'll probably never have a receiving core at his disposal like this crew again. On a side note, has anyone ever seen him smile? I haven't. He seems like a very serious young man.

2 Likes

Can’t see how he can win MOP in half a season. It doesn’t work that way in sports. There have been many great performances for part of the year in many sports that haven’t won MOP’s due to injury. Mario Lemieux had the best single season in NHL history cut short because of injury and the record books didn’t give it to him. It’s unfortunate but that is how it has to be.

There is a chance he will return for the playoffs. One benefit for the Lions and their fans is that it is a lot less likely that he will depart for the NFL next year.

3 Likes

Ack. Who needs an MOP award for one player when your whole team is bursting at the seams with all this potential... especially since a good chunk of it is already realized. I keep seeing positive signs all over the place in BC for this season and the next. The only thing they're missing right now are the fans but wouldn't it be great if this kind of success brought them back?

He still has a good chance to win the top performer title, for whatever that is worth

That would be great, but we’re still waiting. It would be nice if they came out this week to honour Rourke and what he has accomplished so far. If they don’t then maybe next game they can tell the public he used to be in a boy band. Sorry, I’m tired and cranky and now going to sleep.

1 Like

Anything's possible. For purely selfish reasons I'm hoping that the second half of this season sees some other QB's play outstanding football for a change. So far only three or four QB's have impressed. I'd like to see Harris, Cornelius, Evans (there's two of them in a rut), MacBeth... even BLM take it up a notch.

O’conners no slouch either, I remember him in the sport game a few years back, he was impressive, wether he can translate that to the cfl will be what to watch for I guess. Nice to see Canadian q.b.’s in action though.

2 Likes

Chris Jones played another Canadian QB. That makes 4 this year

He didn't play at all. The guy has literally zero stats.

Nope! Can't win the MOP from the IR

I think you probably could but not with only half a season completed. If he had at least 12/13 games in the books it could have happened I think

He sadly will probably be denied the MOP which is sad and totally sucks but on the other hand he should be a shoe in for the MOC award . Half season or not , name another Canadian player who has played better than him this season ?

3 Likes

If Rourke wins the MOP, it will create a controversy. Collaros is now the front runner

1 Like