Camparison of 2nd string QBs re 3 Canadian QBs

I do believe the quarterback position is excluded from the ratio.

Wow. Not only was that incredibly difficult to read, it's wrong. There are no "import/nonimport" designations at the QB spot.....for the very reason you alluded to. If there were such things as import or non-import QB's then if a Canadian player at the QB spot was injured or pulled and replaced with an import, that would be a ratio-changing move, possibly requiring an import at another position be taken out.

Right now, QB's are just QB's, regardless of nationality, so if a Canadian QB goes starts, then goes out and is replaced with an import, all of that can happen without impacting the ratio.

It does impact the ratio because an import would have to be dropped off of the roster to accomadate the Canadian taking the QB position. Its hard to read because its a complicated issue! I said the Offencive Backfield which includes QB,s :cowboy: :thup:

No. Maybe I didn't explain myself clearly.

There are no such things as "import" or "non-import" QB's, and as such, no import would have to be dropped. All CFL teams are allowed to dress 42 players, comprised of 19 imports, 20 Canadians and 3 Quarterbacks. Quarterbacks can be Canadian, American, Martian, it doesn't matter. They do not count among the 19 imports a team can have.

You are correct if you extended your revised rule to all "backfield" positions, there would be a relaxation of the ratio in regards to running backs. However, I think the effect you anticipate would be minimal. There are a number of Canadian RB's now, and the FB position is almost exclusively a Canadian one. If you relaxed the rule as you suggest, I think all you'd see is a lot of Canadian starting RB's with incredibly weak hamstrings, and the net result would be one fewer Canadian starter, yielding the opposite result you are seeking.

In short, any time you make it possible for a team to replace a Canadian starter with an American one without affecting the ratio, teams will find a way to do just that.

Oh, and your post was hard to read because you don't use any punctuation or separate paragraphs and was generally horribly-written.

I did not make that post to pass your grammar test besides you get my point, as usual you insult the messenger without listening to the message. Art I don’t give a ^%$#& what you think about Canadian running back,s If the rule allowed for imports to sub for injured Canadian starters we would see more of them! your bias is clear Your here to promote Imports players by attacking my grammar LMAO As for the qb,s not counting against the ratio , _ 30 years of discrimination has proven that rule one that can be exploited and you know it!

regardless of what Art and other Canadian Bashers promote, This move by the CFL to accommodate the CIS class of 2009 QB,s is a step in the right P.R direction :thup:

Your replies were very interesting. It would appear that we all have seen a QB or two [ not including 1st stringers ] who were sub par and might have lost their jobs to Canadians- had they been available. E Camp will have an thoughtful agenda and this will be interesting. My thought is that should a team let a Canadian near the QB slot as second or third spot this would allow our QBs to have a couple of years to further develop their skills.

If you think that teams could start a Canadian RB, and then replace him with an American backup without affecting the ratio wouldn’t ALL have their American backups playing the bulk of the time, you’re crazy.

And, I could care less about your grammar if you could communicate your message clearly. Do it in hyroglyphics if you want, just do it clearly. But when you are trying to make an intricate point, and want someone to take that point seriously, it does you no good to present your argument as nearly-unintelligible gibberish.

So Art you succeeded in disrupting a positive thread are you proud of yourself, _there was nothing wrong with my post, AND you are purposely misquoting me, i didn’t say all Imports should be back up,s !! If you think ALL Canadian,s are inferior to Imports then YOUR CRAZY!

I am afraid I must agree with Artie. Both on how well you articulated your point–which is not well. And in the fact that as it stands, there is nothing in the rules preventing a Canadian from playing QB. There are 3 QBs allowed on the roster, but no implications regarding whether they are import, non-import, or as Artie suggested, Martians. All 3 could be Canadians and it would have zero impact on any other position. Or if your starter were a Canadian, and the two back-ups were American, then taking the starter out and putting in a back-up does not impact any other aspect of the team. The roster consists of, a minimum number of Canadians, and a maximum number of imports, which includes a maximum number of starting imports AND 3 QBs. You can have as many as 42 NIs on the roster, but no more than 19 imports. Not counting QBs who can be either.
From your post, you either do not understand the rule as it is written or, we don’t understand what you are trying to say—which is why grammar and punctuation, and spelling and such are kinda handy things…
For example, I actually have no idea what you are trying to do regarding the “offensive backfield”. Artie took a stab at it, but you shot him down. So I give up…

I have no doubt there are some (hopefully not many) that believe that. They tend to be rather less vocal about it than they were in the past. Certainly Bell was touted as a sure starter coming out of TC by some, with more than a few projecting him as the starter by Labour Day. Harrell was a sure bet to be placed on the roster last year, the 2nd after he came after the 9 game, with some suggesting he be immediately moved to number two, and some actually hinting he get some time as the starter. This was with the Riders sitting in first place…
As far as I am concerned, if Dalton Bell or Graham Harrell never take a snap in regular season play, I’ll be perfectly happy.

Re_ Arius Your correct, I was quick to type in a hurry, as for your criticism _ oh well who cares . So You know_ An offencive backfield is the group of players that line up behind the offencive line. It consists of a QB, Rb, FB,TB . When Hamilton lost Jesse lumsden to injury (when he was a TICAT) they did not have a Canadian backup and had to make roster changes to accommodate (look it up) replacing Lumsden with a import. The reason there are no CIS QB,s being placed in the 3rd qb post .Is because G.M,s use the position for Imports. There is no incentive for them not to,only the NCAA connections they need to maintain.IMHO.

I don't suppose it would matter if it was explained for the umpteenth time that QBs are not included in the ratio count would it? :roll:

what part of_ Re_ Arius Your correct, I was quick to type in a hurry, dont you understand? how about_ The system is broken! understand that?

Thanks. I know what the “offensive backfield” is. The question is, how is that relevant? I could be wrong, but the only thing you seem to be saying is, establish the exact same system for RBs as you are claiming prevents teams from using Canadian QBs. But as that would seem to defeat your purpose, I am giving you an opportunity to explain what you mean. Because you cannot possibly mean what you are saying…?
The issue of replacing NI starters is as you say—if you do not have a solid NI back-up, you often need to make a second change in order to replace that player. That is the case for every position on the field with the exception of one. Want to guess which position it is? Hint: it is the thread topic…

No im saying-give offencive back fielder,s a separate standing from other position,s allowing different nationals to sub for each other. that would apply to Q.B,s R.B,s F.B,s and T.b,s ! In that way a team is not disrupted if a player like Jesse Lumsden gets injured , any national can sub for him, rather than having Coaches adjust the ratio somewhere else on the roster.does that make sense, I'm probably not saying clearly, This would make it easier for Top QB,s from Canadian programs to have CFL careers.IMHO_ this may be- part of the discussion between the league and the players.

Ok. And I think that was what Artie said. Right before you shot him down. And as that plan is exactly the plan that is now in place for QBs----and you maintain it hasn’t worked, how will it work for RBs?
And unless you adjust the ratio for other positions, it creates other problems. You could do the same thing for every position, because the problem you are addressing isn’t any different for DL than it is for RB. But unless you cap the number of imports, ultimately, you will reduce the number of NI starters. As it stands today, implementing your plan for RBs can only work if you negatively impact other positions. So more NI RBs but fewer NI OL, or LBs. You can’t force a team to start a NI at a particular position, or you face the possibility of having a very poor player at a given position, while possibly a stronger player doesn’t start elsewhere.

Actually, no i don’t understand that because “the system” is just fine the way it is.

Assuming we are all talking in the spirit of the thread, if the system was fine there would have been Canadian,s playing their natural QB position .In CFL instead of all those Import BUMS !! that have been listed.Another is Tom Porus(SP)

that's because when you look at the #'s.. there are 100 American QB's to every 1 Canadian QB.

so you can easily go and find one and if he doesn't work? go get another!

there aren't even enough Canadian QB's to fill your hand!

why would the CFL GM's and Coaches wanna waste their time and effort, and salary cap space on a Canadian QB who is likely to never see te field!