Camp

Ran into Cory a couple weeks ago....oi
he still thinks he did no wrong.
Says the vision just needed time

Well it isn't so much that "he didn't do anything wrong " it was more it didn't do anything right. Tad harsh but Cory became Cory's down fall. He was fine when he trusted others to do their job but for some reason he abandoned that and felt he was the best thing since sliced bread and he was the best man for every job. Big mistake.

In all honesty this is what I fear about Jones too. Yes he has delegated responsibilities but I think he is wearing too many hats just the same. I hope that isn't the case but after last year one can't help being a bit cautious about the situation.

Just gotta jump in here for a second/
Of course Chamblin would say that, however the fact remains a “3 win season” speaks for itself!
I question any vision that can’t produce more then 3 wins and fails to win the “close ones”
And as far as “just needed time”, for petes sake that horse aint gonna make it to the race! :cowboy:

Haha…no doubt.

Problem is he trully thinks people believe him when he says it. He gets some crazy eyes.
He forgets the behind the scenes crap that made the entire office hate him and hate coming into work, and that he the coach was the locker room cancer, and that his “innovation” of using DBs as LBs sucked…on the edge, sure, maybe…fact is he wanted DBs because he was a DB and knew how to talk to them better…it is a long list that goes beyond the game itself.

Day 2:

so much to take in running 2 sets at one time and no pause between them.....coaches must have to spend 8+ hours at night watching video. The pace seemed even faster today.

DD continued to look better than any previous camp...and that was with pads today, so that is a very good sign.

Coleman was soso. Nobody stood far apart as a 2nd guy. Part of the problem when looking at them right now is the consistency of DD makes them look worse.

Roosevelt was standout once again...nice to see that he wasn't just looking good on a struggling team when he came in last year. He has looked good both days, perhaps the best...but I guess that is the benefit of training with DD in the off-season...they have chemistry already

Bagg is starting to look pretty comfortable in the slot...sounds like it is a plan to move him inside, it is not just a shuffling for camp. Interesting move for a vet, but he looks like a kid in a candy store with it, so great

They seem to be giving Demski a lot of different looks...which is great. He is very versatile, young and of the right passport.

The WRs...there are going to be some really tough calls. Basically everyone is looking solid. These NIs they dug up are looking very sharp...fast...solid hands...torching the D at times, but the D still needs a day or 2 for the secondary to come together. Roosevelt is the highlight for Imports thus far IMO, but Chiles has looked fricken great as well.

Steele was the best looking of the RBs from what I saw yesterday, though I didn't watch them a lot...Walter looked pretty good as well. I had high hopes on Cobb, but he is definitely on the outside looking in at this point. Cyrus was released and someone new brought in. Definitely lacking the size that the Riders have had the past couple seasons at RB, but I guess that can translate into more big play potential as well. I am hoping that they still bring in a big back or are willing to utilize a FB to run some...I am a fan of having a bruiser there and they seem to lack that guy that will punish the D and wear them out...not really the type of O Jones uses, but it is just something I like as an option...especially in the 4th quarter.

LBs group Knox/Jones/Foster...I watched a fair bit. Foster was the standout yesterday, Knox today...he was easily the most aggressive of the 3, which is a big statement. I think it is a very solid group, now the key is finding a backup or 2. They seem light there to me, but I know they will look at a DLman likely to be a backup for MLB, and perhaps transition a DB for another spot. Depth there may be a point of concern, but not massive. Knox had a solid 1st season...what will he do with 2 much improved level LBs beside him?

Kwame Adjei was released today... a bit of a surprise there, but they are looking at a pile of NIs in the secondary, so moving someone out had to happen.

How I am rating things after only 2 days:
QB - B. DD looks great, but we need to see him in action. Lots of questions around the backups at this point
RB - D. Not blown away with anyone. Walter might end up getting a lot of action if nobody separates themselves. I thought it would look better there, but it is early...we'll see. I was less impressed today.
WR - A+. Hard decisions...great WRs last year in camp (some bad decisions made surrounding them), even better this year so far. While the Imports have been great, the reason they get the + here is how some of these NI finds are looking
OL - C....I just don't know yet....haven't watched close enough to say...they are likely better than a C. Not entirely sold on Coleman but he is looking alright. King has looked solid. I think it will be a very solid OL

DL - A+...man they have some good prospects in there....then having Norwood waiting and bringing in Newsome...the depth there is pretty apazing
LB - C. The starting 3 seem pretty obvious. Depth is a concern.
DBs - B-. A lot of people seem concerned around the secondary...I am not at this point. still lots to settle there with basically what...Hollins returning...but I think it looks fine. Brooks is a gimme, Hollins looks like he is going to be around. Cox has been looking pretty good back there as well...will be a guy to watch I think. Still pretty early to judge the secondary.

really. the coach gets a whopping raise and the players are saying , go fly a kite , I give this new regime one season and they will be runn out of town , and as far as a 3 and 15 season everyone seems to forget Durant was injured . and I don't care if glenn was in , he was never going to get the job done, people here get attached to players who actually like to be here , its not all about winning. dressler and chick made this their home and still sound pissed off at how they were treated, and no it won't go away. Durant will be the only one who will save jones from going down , personally I don't know how Edmonton ever won with reilly . that must have been the defence that won that season. I don't think this new regime really knows how the people here really think. but i'm sure their going to find out.

The position I'm concerned about is RB. I don't think anyone they have now is going to be a Cornish or a Sheets or even a Messam. I thought if they were not going to go after Mesam hard they would have saw something in one of the camps down south that they would have impressed. that doesn't ound like the case though. Yes I don't think Jones is a big run game fan but as you said a big bruising back can certainly help with ball control and slowing down the pass rush which is never a bad thig.

Raise? Really? Because they are paying less for the positions Jones holds now than they did last year. They are just giving it to one guy…but saving money in doing so…but ok…I guess you feel that one man doing all those jobs should still just be paid a HC base salary alone? WOW…that is horrible…why would anyone work for you under that attitude? You wear more hats, you get paid more. As far as getting run out of town…fat chance. Only way that happens is if they regress…they won’t regress. Even a 6 win season in a total rebuild would be seen as a win after one season, but I thinnk this team will be in the playoff hunt.

DD injured and they had the #1 O in the league under Glenn. A lot of people felt the O being run by JC might run better under Glenn before camp even started. So sorry…DD being down was unfortunate but nominal…the stats through week 6 support that entirely…so saying Glenn wasn’t getting it done is simply not true, other than he threw a couple very costly picks. The D wasn’t gettign it done…at all

Chick was offered what he is getting now…he passed
Dressler was offered about 15% less than he gets now, and never even countered

No huge overpriced contracts = depth. Depth > a couple standout players

how the people here think or how YOU think? Because if you look at social media there is very strong support for the overall direction. You state it like it speaks for the majority, while general social media would seem to disagree with you.

Agreed. I was having higher hopes on Cobb. Steele has looked good so far, and he is respectable, but he is not a top end back IMO. Jones has talked about blocking from the RBs being a key for that position and that it would be priority, so perhaps he is a solid blocker…the Riders had issues with RB blocking a fair bit last season, but it got better as the season progressed…part of that could be on coaching. I do know that Jones likes the short pass to RBs like screens…get it in the hands of guys with ttalent and let them do their thing in space…that is where a guy like Demski, Lawrence, Roseway, Kawamato are very valuable…and Steele does fall into that category as well, and I think that is why they were interested in him…he doesn’t fit what has been seen with the the past couple years, but might fit their new system well. Jones is not a huge grind it up the middle type of guy. I personally like that style of ball late in a close game, but it can also put you in a pile of 2nd and long situations.

So does the Xman look in as good of shape as they are saying? I heard he was as fast as his first year times which would be quite the acheivement if true considering the age difference and him being banged up a couple of times.

Yeah…he is in stellar shape…had several NFL workouts so is looking prime. He himself also admits that his off season regiment has been poor and his play and durability was effected a lot by it and that he is putting more into that now and feels he will be more like 2013 form.

Good example…he got rolled up on and screamed like it was bad…one of the few times the place slowed down in camp so far. Looked bad. He walked it off and never missed a beat. Last couple years that likely shows for an extended time.

King is also looking ripped and ready

well, sorry but I don't believe that 15% amount for dressler at all, that sounds fabricated . i'm sure it must have been much less than that or he would have responded to that , if that's the case then he didn't want to be here that bad , but eventually we will find out . there's no secrets in riderville

You don’t have to believe it if you don’t want to, because I am not going to drop the source out there. It may have been closer to 20, but I havent broken out a calculator on it. I have posted before that it was 15-20%. I trust my source on this one, you can believe that number or not…your call. He got pissed about the massive reduction and I don’t blame him, just like I don’t blame brass for refusing to keep handicapping contracts…no side trully came out a winner on those instances.

edit: correction…20% is a much more accurate figure.

so how can we honestly go to the store and buy dressler chips now, and watch the game, it just stinks, I guess we'll have to wait till the labour day game . eh

Saw a lot more shifting of the personnel today...lots of guys getting different looks

They played some of the safeties at LB a little bit, and rolled them to Corner as well

Starting to see some of the newer LBs get in there and make some plays, which is pretty big, because at least one should be kept into the season. Not enough to speculate on who that might be at this point, but good progress

First time I would say the OL straight up beat the DL...and they pretty much dominated...Lemon aside...he pretty much did as he pleased. the couple of the returning NI DLmen looked pretty bad....like it was not a good day for them at all. Starting to see some separation in who may or may not stick...the really bad news is that a couple of the NIs were well into the not some much category...but it is only day 3, so we will see....this could be a concern and will be a key thing to watch. Hazime was the bright spot on the DL today (didn't notice Capi out there...not sure)....he did pretty well. He also flipped over to OG for a few reps and actually played exceedingly well there for limited exposure....that versatility all but makes him a lock.

There was also some separation at receiver today IMO...or rather some that were not keeping pace with others. Starting to get a clear picture...in my mind anyways...of who I would keep and not for Imports in that area anyways.

Gylswyk took some FG shots today and looked good. Bartel is out punting him a little bit, but Gylswyk seems to have miles better accuracy. Bartel is looking way better than last time he was a Rider. Enough to edge out a Canadian...unlikely.

DD still owning it...Smith had what is probably his best day. Seems to be a bit better each day. I get the feeling that JJ and him click well...good sign.

Doesn’t matter either way. Both are considered NI.

ah right…he was listed as an import earlier…none the less, he is getting slightly more on punts, but placement he is being dominated…and the new guy has been doing FGs well for the few attempts i noticed

Has anyone had an opportunity to check out camp these past few days? Wasn't today the scrimmage?

Haven’t missed, and yes…it was Saturday.

In what was a Walter/Steele race at RB…Herbert came up huge in the scrimmage and will probably be in the discussion now. It was a good day for him after being soso in camp. That may be bad for Lawrence. The extra competition at RB was nice to see…actually, all the RBs did ok, but it is still likely a 2 horse race.

DD…he threw an INT…2 I think actually…but in fairness they were pretty fricken nice picks. He and Roosevelt might be something special this year. The size and speed in the secondary is impressive. Lots of interesting rotations with some NIs in there. DD continues to struggle with the shallow flats…short hoppers…always has…but everything else he is doing looks sharper than ever. The shallow flats is a concern though because I believe this O will ideally want to use them. He took off on a few runs…a lot of sighs of relief from the crowd for sure…and likely himself. Most practices I would have said DD, Huesman, Coleman, Smith…Huesman may have dropped to 4th

Roosevelt is by far the standout at WR…working out with DD in the offseason has paid off huge. He catches everything his way and is continually getting big plays. Childs is going to be a big impact player I think…sure handed over the middle…not easy to find that in a WR, and something the Riders havent done in a long time. Ive always felt that the time DD passed to Dressler over the middle years ago and Dressler got hurt has shied him away from making that pass, but he seems to be doing it now.

DL looks great…so much heat from there…constant pressure.
I think there is a chance there will be heavier rotation of a NI in the secondary beyond a safety.
Knox has been out, but should be back Tuesday
Crapinga was money kicking…his punts were better than i would have thought he was capable.

lots of sloppiness in the scrimmage. Lots of penalties. Camp has been more focused on intensity and volume of plays with lots of different looks from different players. This week will start getting into more game prep obviously…so that will clean up. I am sure the team will make a lot of stupid sloppy mistakes to start the season with so many new players.

O was sloppy…to be expected. D won for the most part and is very aggressive…not sure when the last time anything like that was seen by a Rider team

Thank you Depop.

I watched Chris Jones' interview from today and he wasn't impressed with all the mistakes. He is a pretty intense guy and I like his edge. They should be able to clean up the penalties.