Cam cole calls cfl nothing more than an NFL minor league aff

Cam cole article called "Might NFL steps in to make CFL refs great again. Or something"

Goes on to call the CFL NFL player agreement nothing more than CFL as an NFL minor league affiliate.

Man this guy never gives up trashing CFL

Why post this kind of Emu bull crap. Seriously!

I read that article when it came out a couple of days ago and just shook my head.

Ummm, aren't minor league teams subjected to 'call ups' at any given moment? And, correct me if I'm wrong, but last time I checked NFL teams can't raid any of the CFL teams while those players are under contract. :roll:

Don't think they've 'sent any players down' either. As a matter of fact, a lot players who have played down there have struggled to find roster spots up here. Or at the very least, many have had trouble distinguishing themselves.

Different game. But I wouldn't want to ruin a good column. :roll:

Let me guess. He is a Toronto reporter?

not hard to make things look worse when you take stuff out of context.

"The NFL-CFL agreement on player movement between leagues is so lopsidedly in the NFL’s favour — we pick up their training camp castoffs, coach them up, and then the NFL takes the very best finished products back — it’s hard to call the CFL’s role anything but that of a minor league affiliate"

IF you read his whole column, you would realize that this is just an incidental comment and not a put down of the CFL.

[url=http://news.nationalpost.com/sports/cfl/mighty-nfl-steps-in-to-help-make-cfl-referees-great-again-or-something]http://news.nationalpost.com/sports/cfl ... -something[/url]

and no, I never heard of this guy before and I have no bias favoring him.

Yes, some people don't read the whole article they wait for other people to cut and paste one part of a sentence!
and then agree with them................. :oops: :oops:

"The NFL-CFL agreement on player movement between leagues is so lopsidedly in the NFL’s favour — we pick up their training camp castoffs, coach them up, and then the NFL takes the very best finished products back — it’s hard to call the CFL’s role anything but that of a minor league affiliate"
Cole makes a great point that the CFL picks up the NFL castoffs then the NFL takes them back after their experience here and that's minor league affiliate role. I think most would agree with that.

Looks like another writer who fails to see what the CFL is all about really - who will win the national championship of Canadian football and hoist the Grey Cup. Everything else is more or less 'minor', to use a popular phrase :wink: when talking about the Canadian Football League.

The CFL isn't about getting the best perceived players or refs in relation to the NFL, the NFL will get these in most cases because of the money they can pay, and the CFL has a 'minor' league rule to ensure Canadians are a vital part of any team. Why some Canadian sports writers can't seem to get that, is beyond me. Perhaps they just aren't well versed on what is going on in their own country.

Now, who exactly is Cam Cole? Does he have excellent credentials writing and researching about the CFL? I think I may have heard of him but certainly not very much with respect to Canadian football. Maybe I'm thinking about Bob Cole, the hockey sportscaster come to think of it.

Yes, he has superb credentials. He has been writing about the CFL for more than 35 years, first as a beat reporter covering the Eskimos, then sports columnist for the Edm Journal, Natl Post and now Vcr Sun. He has earned the right to express opinions about the CFL, and this one seems particularly valid.

I guess he does not watch the NFL ,their refs are just as brutal.

Only to a degree. It's not like an NFL club "sends" a player a player to the CFL. They just cut them. CFL clubs only take those released players if they want to. For that matter, CFL clubs have some ability to retain a player that might have an NFL shot, too.

There are similarities but it isn't a minor league role per se.

Many of the best players in the CFL never get an NFL shot. Some of the one's that do are players that I wasn't necessarily aware of and are sometimes unheralded during their CFL career. It's a matter of being the right fit for a certain team. It's not just a matter of the CFL's MOP automatically getting an NFL call.
We play a different brand of football up here and that makes it a little trickier to just see the CFL as a minor league affiliate of the NFL.

Folks are completely missing his point -- it's a one-sided relationship. They get some of our best players (and our best NAT prospects these days), we get guys they don't want. We give their officials extra training experience, then they go back to the NFL and now possibly take some of our best officials with them.

Of course it is. when they pay 10X what the CFL does, it's where players want to be. The NFL has the demand from players. It's not like the CFL has a great deal of leverage to turn things around.

Who is Cam Cole?

I was about to ask the same thing. Never even heard of this jackass, so his opinion is irrelevant to me.

The CFL did have an option on this. They could have said no. Both league's must think it's mutually beneficial.

With CFL and NFL careers so short and the high risk of injury the assertion that the CFL is a feeder league is actually only a player leaving with free agency getting that better contract (more money) in the NFL and not a circus of players leaving mid season like a minor league .

I am good with it as it elevates the CFL status when people like Flutie , Moon and Wake are mentioned in telecasts with a CFL past .

I thought Cam Cole was strictly a hockey writer?

In any event, he works for Postmedia, headed by biggest CFL hater and all around jerk Paul Godfrey. Who really cares what he has to say.

C'mon, AV. Should he quit his job because his boss has dumb ideas? Should we ignore everything written about the CFL in the 30 or 40 papers Postmedia owns?

Cole has been working for what is now Postmedia for more than 35 years. He'll no doubt still be there after Godfrey has moved on.

And for the record (again), he is one of the greatest sportswriters this country has ever produced, and has covered the CFL closely throughout his career. He was never a "hockey writer." He was a football beat reporter (Eskimos/CFL) and then became a sports columnist -- even then he wrote extensively about the CFL. I imagine he has been to every Grey Cup since 1980, and probably most if not all Western finals in that span.

That has been answered already Kevin by PW13

Yes, he has superb credentials. He has been writing about the CFL for more than 35 years, first as a beat reporter covering the Eskimos, then sports columnist for the Edm Journal, Natl Post and now Vcr Sun. He has earned the right to express opinions about the CFL, and this one seems particularly valid.