Calvillo All-Time Passing Record

Congratulations to Anthony Calvillo on breaking the all-time passing record from this Ticat fan...but glad our guys won't have to deal with it next week!!!

Agreed!!! AC is the best CFL QB I've had the pleasure to have watched and I've seen some great ones. He doesn't have the cannon arm or the great legs but he's the total package. He's also benefitted from playind on some very strong teams.

An Argo-Cat fan

Congratulations to AC.

What a milestone!

He's a fine athlete and leader, and a consummate professional.

As far as accuracy, timing and consistency go, there is no better.

And to be the highest rated passer in the entire league this season, at 39 years of age defies all Laws of Physiology.

It could also be that some mediocre teams benefitted by having Anthony Calvillo and thus became very strong teams. Imagine how good the ti-cats would be right know if Calvillo was our QB with all of our offensive weapons at his disposal.

If he were with us for the intervening decade he would had to retire from injuries because of our horrendous O-Lines over that period of time...

It could also be that some mediocre teams benefitted by having Anthony Calvillo and thus became very strong teams. Imagine how good the ti-cats would be right know if Calvillo was our QB with all of our offensive weapons at his disposal.
Well, if the Cats kept Calvillo, we might have had over a decade of dominance and 3 or 4 Grey Cups by now instead of Montreal.

Trading Anthony (or did we release him?) was a colossal blunder.

Calvillo signed as a free agent with Montreal to be a backup to Tracy Hamm in 1998

Grover wrote: Calvillo signed as a free agent with Montreal to be a backup to Tracy Hamm in 1998
Did Hamilton try to resign Calvillo yet were outbid by Montreal? Or did they not place an offer?

Anthony was booed off the field a number of times in Hamilton, I would assume he wanted to leave!

We just don't know a good thing until it's gone and winning Grey Cups and breaking all time records.... :frowning:

Actually he was released by Ron Lancaster who consulted with Russ Jackson about Calvillo's abilities. These two legendary players thought that Calvillo had no future in Hamilton and was subsequently released. Even the greatest of minds can make blunders. Admittedly though while in Hamilton, Calvillo was a diamond in the rough. With the emphasis on rough.

A.C. needed a change of scenery. If he hadn't eased back into the game with Tracy Ham as a mentor and Mike Pringle to hand the ball to for several years, he wouldn't have become the quarterback he is today.

The following was posted in the CFL article comments section:

Mark Anthony DiBello wrote:
"God bless, Anthony Calvillo. I have met Anthony, and know he is faithful Christian."

so?
and what if he isn't a Christian?
Does it take away from all his accomplishments? Make him less of a person? Not worthy of our respect or reverence?

Of course not.

Why people feel it necessary to bring up religious beliefs in order to validate the person is beyond me.

Buried on the sports page of The Spec, sad. :thdn:

http://www.thespec.com/sports

I felt the best part of the ceremony was the comments from Marino and Favre. It's good that these guys recognize talent outside their own league. Although I'm not quite sure what to make of Marino's comment, "If anyone knows about what it takes to pass for this many yards, it's me." (Something to that effect anyway.) Backhanded compliment?

Favre did not give a tribute to Calvillo.
Dan Marino, Chris Berman Warren Moon did.
You would think that Favre would have some class and pay tribute to someone who broke his all time pro records but.... :thdn:

And Marino doesn't know what it takes to pass for that many yards...

Dan only has 61,361 career passing yards while Calvillo has 72,429 and counting.. :thup:

It is still a nice sentiment for Marino, Berman and Moon to praise Calvillo.
He deserves all the accolades relayed to him.

If Favre wouldn't even give proper recognition to Aaron Rodgers for his superbowl win, do you honestly think he would do more for another quarterback in another league. His ego simply wouldn't allow it.

He might have been a great quarterback, but Favre is nothing more now than a washed up joke who thinks he's worth a lot more than he is.

I'm not at all surprised he offered nothing, he's been doing that for years in the NFL.

D'oh! Now that I think back, you're right that Favre didn't provide a comment. Not sure what I was thinking. Either he doesn't recognize the CFL as a pro league, or he feels that including it would diminish his own accomplishments. Or maybe he's just a jerk. :expressionless:

No surprise that Moon paid tribute, as a lot of his passing yards came up here. And after being on hand when Allen passed his mark, it would have been insulting not to recognize the next guy to break the record.

On the bright side, Favre didn't send Calvillo a picture of his wiener. Yet. As far as we know.