calling the coin toss

If I'm not mistaken, did we fail to take the wind for the 4th quarter on the coin toss?

CGY won the coin toss

Calgary won and deffered. Hamilton then chose to recieve rather than chose the end.

We have to get a weighted coin to switch with the coin the Ref gives us.
I guess we need two coins then ,one weighted eads and one tail :wink: .
I’m sure Montreal does this (looking for a Franchise to pick on ) gets get creative here! :twisted: :lol:

We have to get a weighted coin to switch with the coin the Ref gives us.
I guess we need two coins then ,one weighted eads and one tail :wink: .
I'm sure Montreal does this (looking for a Franchise to pick on ) gets get creative here! :twisted: :lol:

Tossing a coin is ridiculous. Home team should get to choose. This would make it equal over the regular season. Coins should only be used in overtime.. Been too many games where cats are against the wind in 4th quarter.

It's one of those little things called TRADITION.

Besides, in non-dome Grey Cups, winning a coin-toss can be vital...

Hold on a minute....

So Calgary deferred on the coin toss...

And with 65 kilometre per hour winds coming from the north, we decided to receive, instead of having the wind at our backs in the 2nd & 4th quarters?

One of the many reasons the people blaming #15 are Clueless

We never had the choice to have the wind in the second AND fourth quarters. Calgary won the coin toss and deferred their decision to the start of the second half. So then we decided to receive the ball and Calgary decided to give us the wind in the first quarter and have it at their backs in the second. It worked out as one might predict; we did well with the ball and the wind in the first quarter, then they caught up in the second. If we had chosen to have the wind in the second quarter, maybe it would have worked the other way around.

At the start of the second half, Calgary took the decision they had deferred at the start of the game, and chose the wind at their backs in the fourth quarter. Seems they made the right decision.

After Calgary deferred their choice to the second half, Hamilton could have either chosen what end to defend in the first quarter or to receive the ball. If Hamilton opts to have the wind in the second quarter then Calgary chooses between receiving or kicking off. The winner of the coin toss always gets two options if they defer. Hamilton had the same option in the first half as Calgary did in the second half picking which quarter they wanted the wind. Not sure why Austin wanted the wind other than maybe he wanted Mathews to start with the wind rather than against.

Austin chose to receive the ball.I heard the Ref say so after Calgary won the toss and deferred to the 2nd half.
This is how it sounded in the stands,then you heard the Ref say ,you want this end?I assume that Calgary then decided which end they wanted in the first quarter.
Interesting discussion .

From "The Official Playing Rules For The Canadian Football League (2015)"...

Section 7, Article 1:
"At the start of the game, the captains of both teams shall meet the Referee at
centre field. The Referee shall toss a coin with the visiting team captain making
the call. The captain of the team winning the coin toss shall declare whether to
have first choice at the start of the first or second half.

The captain of the team having first choice at the start of the first half shall
choose between:
(a) kicking off or receiving the kickoff or,
(b) which end of the field to defend.

The captain of the other team shall have first choice at the start of the second
half, when both captains shall again meet the Referee at centre field to make
their choices."

Thanks. Can't get much clearer than that or from a better source than the rule book.

Is that Seymour as in Seymour Wilson the former CFL official ?
Thanks for clearing this up ,the coin toss rule obviously had some confusion,I wasn't sure about he part "b" options .
Learned something ,thanks!

I have spent decades listening to Ticat coin tosses. What do I know now from that experience?

Well I know the visiting team calls heads or tails, and then the referee (or a dignitary ?) tosses the coin. The call always precedes the toss and it is not called in the air during the toss. This process is on the speakers before every game.

What I don't know, in light of deflategate, is who supplies the coin. The referee announces which side of the CFL coin will be considered heads, so it certainly is no ordinary coin. Is it kept by the ball boy? Can the visitors supply the coin...

Musings in the world of conspiracy theories might abound.

Oskee wee wee (Tongue in cheek)