Calgary Stadium issue, not looking like Olympic bid will help much

What about the rebuild stadiums in BC, Toronto, Montreal { included} and Hamilton’s mess. Billions??
Edmonton rebuilt slowly as money came in. Old concrete is just as good as new. Slow good developments works well too, building as needed.
Or new concrete works for a very few. Of coarse Flame bloggers want more at tax payers expense.
McMahon is well located and a good venue. More concrete is nice but affordability is much better.
Keep costs down for 10 games a year and very affordable to all. 100 million reno’s is okay!

Yes, I thought that as well. Would still prefer a rebuild though… Comes down to what location.

Current site (play elsewhere for two seasons) or old Bus depot.

This location is HIGHLY contaminated and (some may not know this) owned by a city councilor. No one wants to deal with problem one and as a tax payer, I am not impressed with the potential “conflict of interest” in problem number two.

Anyone who has ever done any excavation in that area or anywhere “downstream” (underground stream in area) from that site, has “uncovered” contaminants from that land. It is a major problem.

I would prefer to see another location selected OR the councilor has to pay for the environmental clean up of the area and then he can get “fair market value” for the land (it’s probably going to cost him more to clean up the area than the value of the property).

Just my opinion.

The stadium Renovation doesn’t look that bad .

Just wondering can they not do that without the Olympics .

It’s not a real huge sum for a stadium that is historical and the city never really invested anything in it in the first place .

…why would the city invest in it? They don’t own it…

…would you do renovations for free to your neighbours house?

Would love to see Canada say the heck to the Olympics and shut them out of here forever. The Olympic committee needs Canada a lot more than the other way around I’d say. And this has basically nothing to do with the CFL.

…maybe not the CFL in total, but without the olympics nothing happens to McMahon, period, so there’s that…

The Mcmahon brothers did that’s my point .

They received a great benefit over the years without much civic contributions .

A city that size should have a proper outdoor stadium and it’s time to pay the piper .

Most cities want to contribute they just don’t want the on going costs going forward so in this case they do want to contribute to the neighbours pool so they can have access to it but don’t have to maintain it . The best of both worlds .

Cities would rather not own the stadiums . They usually are a depreciating asset .
It’s the land that has value .

…there’s a lot to unpack there…

…there are no philanthropists like the McMahon brothers any more, that’s a lost breed…

…the city doesn’t own the land the stadium sits on, so again why would the city (taxpayers) improve a private entity’s property…your pool analogy doesn’t work.,.

…there is no appetite, none whatsoever, in a depressed economy to put municipal tax dollars into this, the citizens have made that very clear…

…it’s funny actually, the only ppl on this forum that complain about McMahon are the ones who don’t live here…make some improvements to the washrooms and concessions and it’s fine…thanks for your concern tho…

Do Calgarians/the people of Alberta want the Olympics?

…good question Kevin, we’ll find out on Nov.13, that’s the day calgarians vote to decide…just calgarians, not albertans…

Not complaining at all and I have been to McMahon . My sister’s place was in walking distance and I watched not only games I watched them practice from the hill.

The renovations stated were modest so I don’t see your worries .

I see a small amount compared to the years of use and see a city that can invest in something that is reasonable in renovations instead of a new build .

If the city gets use then my analogy works just fine you don’t need to control it or own it ( just get number of hours of civic use in the working arrangement ) .It’s actually what most city’s want . They don’t want the burden of future management when they can leave it to someone else .

Why lease a car ? You don’t own it ;you lease it . It depreciates in value and so do stadiums .

I think many cities would love this arrangement it actually fits the bill and proportionate to the usage by the legacy sports team and community use .

…the city doesn’t use it though, that’s the problem with your argument, it doesn’t belong to the city, the facility, the land, nothing…

The city doesn’t use it for anything ? what …

Why would the city have two members appointed by the city for planning and community services and parks and recreation to the McMahon stadium society .

Kyle Ripley and Kurt Hanson are appointed by the city up until 2018 .

The city are involved with the stadium why wouldn’t they be involved .

The city leases the stadium .

Your red and white tag will be revoked . :wink:

…it’s a major facility, therefore they have interest in it…but the city doesnt own it, and have no interest in spending the millions of dollars you’re suggesting in renovating a facility owned by the university…not sure why that’s so very hard to understand…

oh No you don’t get away with that . You said they don’t use it .

They lease it and it’s quite normal in business and government to renovate places they lease and don’t own .

There lease is just over 4 years .

Not sure you understand renovating places you don’t own but lease .

My friends own businesses they lease but renovate at their expense .

I have worked at government facilities they lease both long term and short term for the benefit of the community and they renovated at the publics expense .

The city does not have to own something in order to renovate it .

One was actually torn down after a short time frame .

I said it before it’s actually is better they lease it as they are not tied down they wish to do something else in the future .

The renovations they have outlined are reasonable for the years future use by city teams especially the Stamps .

I don’t see this as a large expenditure for the amount and the future use the city gets with concerts , Grey Cups etc … . It will be money returned .

As I have said before, Hank, you sure LOVE to argue. :slight_smile:

Funny thinking the same thing ; I was going to tell you ; your not alone I will keep going especially on a counter point of contention . Then reference the other thread with R and W to let you know it’s not personal .

So don’t take it personal I like to keep going and make sure I get that point across until my fingers cramp up or I absolutely lose interest .

Or everyone else here loses interest. :-\

You and Kevin should have your own forum on this site. ???

It’s a forum chat site and some people are more chatty or passionate over an issue
or a subject .

We usually agree on issues and the discourse was civil .

Nobody is forcing anyone to read our posts just put them on ignore . >:(