calgary herald says we're harming the cfl ...

here's an article that goes further than the recently posted one by perry lefko. this one, by bruce dowbiggin, says we're lovable losers, and that we're a drag on the league, and casts about much conjecture...

http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/story.html?id=9f7321ba-8f13-4381-a1aa-cce4b23ea0de&k=59158

For the most part I agree with him.

I think he's a bit of a jerk for his comments about Hamilton smelling though.

Sorry but have to agree with it …
This club has been run badly Since bob has took over
He admits he not football Man
He has right people in place but I think it maybe almost too late to save the team
We are doormats of the CFL.
I do see that Changing next year or the year After.
it’s going to take 3 more years to fix this mess

Bob could be gone by then or Stadium maybe Done if not fixed by the City

Ho hum...just more pond scum in the stagnant pool of stereotypes
about our team and the city of Hamilton from a transplanted Torontonian

Their stadium flirts with being condemned by the fire marshal,
a big stretch
and still they cling to memories of Angelo Mosca and Bernie Faloney.
an even bigger stretch

What about our memories of the 1999 Grey Cup with Joe Montford and Danny Mc Manus

a city where the sulphur stench of the steel mills creeps into every nostril.
Brucey doesn't know what that odour he smelled in Toronto was.

He isn't smart enough to realize that the prevailing westerly winds
blow the smoke from our smokestacks across the lake to Toronto.

As for his views about the performance of our team recently.
he probably used Ken Peter's columns to do his research.

I will give him a pass.

Good job, Ken, your influence is spreading.

I remember trying to watch Dowbiggin on the CBC years ago. He was an arrogant, pompous jerk then too. Glad he's in Calgary. He's showed his ignorance once again with typical quotes I expect from him. Brucey, do some research on Calgary's record here the last 5 years or the fact that Calgary has only won 5 Grey Cups to Hamilton's 21 in the same amount of time. ...or the fact that IWS north stands were build in the 1970's....not quite as old as the majority of McMahon Stadium's 1960 structure. Hamilton has a great blue collar section of the population that probably produced the steel for that plate in his brain. But, the the major employer in Hamilton is in the medical profession. As far as dissing Bob, he never had fraud and theft charges raised against him like Stampeder's Larry Ryckman. The last 5 years have been a bump in the history of this storied team with good things soon to come. Brucey, did it again, he got extra press with his ignorant, fatalist comments. Again, I'm glad Bruce is in Calgary where he belongs.

Unfortunately since Bob Young took over. The Ticats have been murder on more carreer and reputations then probably any other team in CFL history. Utter disaster for free agents signed, coaches and Operations people. Now you have a President that has more jobs on his resume then most retired executives, a 70 year old rookie GM and a bunch of coach that no other team would touch with their worst enemies sex organs.

Realisticaly they will be down to around 13 000 to 15 000 customers next year at best and most of those will get a reduction of 25 percent. They have another year before this collapses, if they are lucky.

Maybe its Karma ?

Some of you guys are in denial.
Unfortunately Dowbiggin, jerk or not, is close to the mark as far as his analysis of this team goes since Bob Young took over.
Instead of attempts to shoot the messenger, perhaps we should be throwing more support behind Obie because it looks like its all up to him. He has a mandate to clean this team up so lets cut him some slack and give him credit for for what he has done in the short time he has been here. Thankfully, this is a vastly different team since the beginning of the season.
I think big changes and improvements will continue before next season. If not Dowbiggin's pessimistic view may come true.
If its any consolation I think right now we are better than the Blue team and are further ahead in rebuilding than they are. If we could add Stubler and Dorsey.....watch out next season. But I'll settle for Stubler.

Let's get the facts straight from a home town fan. Not from some mealy mouth rump rider from out west. And this this messafe id for anyone else who was not born and raised in the Hammer. First and foremeost, give me a fricking break the only reason Brucy is allowed spew his skitology is becuase there are always people who feed on other peoples problems. Yes, without doubt there are problems in Tigertown. Bob has attempted to restore the roar and it will take a couple of more years to get it right.
I beleive Bob has a tremendous amount of football knowledge and will with out any doubt restore the roar.

So as far a Brucey ( got to love that ggirls name ) shut up ........... I am sure someone from our city could draw attention to some of the seedy areas of their city. However, this entire situation is brought to light by a guy(girl) who is trying to validate is own misserable pathetic existance. And that existance prime function is poking fun at other people and other fans in other cities. So Brucey Boy - heres a message for you ........ and any other gas bag from out east. So drop by some time and tell the fans a IWS exactly what you think of them, the team and the city. I am absolutley sure we would embrace you and your twisted theoughts.

So Brucey - you need to work on that self asteem thing - you make youreslf look good at another persons expense. How creative and pathetic.

Let's get the facts straight from a home town fan. Not from some mealy mouth rump rider from out west. And this this messafe id for anyone else who was not born and raised in the Hammer. First and foremeost, give me a fricking break the only reason Brucy is allowed spew his skitology is becuase there are always people who feed on other peoples problems. Yes, without doubt there are problems in Tigertown. Bob has attempted to restore the roar and it will take a couple of more years to get it right.
I beleive Bob has a tremendous amount of football knowledge and will with out any doubt restore the roar.

So as far a Brucey ( got to love that ggirls name ) shut up ........... I am sure someone from our city could draw attention to some of the seedy areas of their city. However, this entire situation is brought to light by a guy(girl) who is trying to validate is own misserable pathetic existance. And that existance prime function is poking fun at other people and other fans in other cities. So Brucey Boy - heres a message for you ........ and any other gas bag from out east. So drop by some time and tell the fans a IWS exactly what you think of them, the team and the city. I am absolutley sure we would embrace you and your twisted theoughts.

So Brucey - you need to work on that self asteem thing - you make youreslf look good at another persons expense. How creative and pathetic.

This team is bad from the top down and an embarressment to the league outside of keeping a team in hamilton Bob Young has done nothing. We have the worst managed team in sports worst ownership etc. Year after year we hear the same i know my mistakes but this is fun isnt it great dont worry be happy speeches. Yet nothing has been done to prove any mistakes are being corrected.

Since Bob took over? With a 445&486 all time record, we're not talking about the Montreal Canadiens here. Since the nineties there has been a few good seasons after DMac and the Little General came to town, other than that the following are good examples of TiCats fortunes of late:

"In 1991,... The Cats completed the season with a 3-15 record and missed the playoffs for the second consecutive season."

"In April, 1995...The average attendance at home games was 21,568, for the highest total since the 1981."

"In 2003, the Hamilton Tiger-Cats suffered through 1-17 season and team went into receivership."

Bob saved the franchise, made a couple personel mistakes, admitted it, brought in established CFL people and is still commited to this team and its fans. I'm frustrated too, but bad football is still better than no football. Saskatchewan has been the historical doormat of the league, Ottawa a close second.

Bingo.......... There are numerous other teams that have had similar records. I am committed to my season(s) tickets. Yes Bob and the team have made several mistakes down the road. Keep the faith - this team will turn around. If this team left the league - the silence at IWS would be defening.

This article is nothing but a piece of … schadenfreude !

Screw Harold, the CFL needs us to survive. :x

haha, very good!

We are definitely going through a difficult time but I have faith better days are ahead. The next championship will be all that much sweeter having endured these past seasons. It's easy to support a winning team; loyalty is revealed in support of consecutive losing seasons.

The Calgary Herald is harming the excellent reputation of responsible, objective reporting - Hamilton Spectator, Globe & Mail, National Post, The Dogsnest Daily, The Puslinch Pus-Slinger, etc.

When these yellow rags get back to reporting just the facts- ALL the statistics and accounts of the game, and stop the obvious home-town biased commentary, trying to pass it off as facts, then I'll believe.

Newspapers are dying anyway. I haven't had a subscription in six years. The six o'clock news on the idiot box is slipping away too.

If Juicy Brucey ever bothered to check his pants, he'd know where the sulphur stench was coming from. Once again, the ex-CBC idiot jumps in his hackney and trots off to Tritesville. What a writer! I think his next column should begin with "It was a dark and stormy night...".

I don't even have to read the article to know that it is yet another example of Albertans looking down their nose at Ontario in Steven Harper and Jim Flahrety-esque type fashion. We get it Calgary, you have oil money, uncontrolled urban sprawl, no provincial deficit/debt, and your team finally clinched first place in the West.

I don't see how blasting the team on a regional newspaper really helps when the team seems to finally have it's football operations side of the business finally in order.

But oh well, until the Ticats can convert a few close calls in to wins and makes a good run, I guess they are going to have to deal with some criticism. If you ask me he should have used his oil money on a time machine and published this article right around the Rob Katz era and the Greg Marshall firing.

• paul