Calgary Game A Black Mark on the CFL

Pros and cons of Burris sitting
M Petrie Calgary Herald

Henry Burris just led the Stamps onto the field at Canad Inns Stadium, but he's expected to be the third-stringer when the game starts 30 minutes from now.

Calgary's main reason for sitting Burris is that he definitely won't get hurt. The goal is to have the best team on the field when the Stamps head to Regina for the West semifinal on Nov. 11, and a healthy Burris is key. Another pro is that they can take a good look at Ben Sankey to see whether he has long-term value.

The list of cons reads much longer:
–The team was on a remarkable high after blowing out Winnipeg last week. They might not be able to keep that rolling with Sankey making his first CFL start in five years.
–By sitting Burris, you'd be telling players this isn't an important game. Mind you, you're also telling them the long-term goal — a Grey Cup — is bigger than this game. And protecting Burris is showing commitment to the ultimate goal.
– A missed game for Burris allows Saskatchewan QB Kerry Joseph to gain distance in the running for West Division most outstanding player.
– As much as the game doesn't mean anything for playoff positioning, a loss hangs solely around the neck of head coach Tom Higgins. With a road game in Vancouver to the end the regular season, this result could be pivotal in determining whether Calgary (Higgins) finishes with a winning record. A first losing record in three years doesn't help his job security when the organization reviews its year.
– The Stamps haven't won a game outside of Alberta this season. To win a Grey Cup, they'll need to win three in a row, so a victory in Winnipeg would help them gain some road confidence.

We'll see what happens ... some agree with the rationale and some don't but the team's grand goal is to make the Grey Cup. If that's the only thing taken into account, you can see the merit.

MP

Do you agree or disagree red05?

It wasn’t pigseye that said that , I did, back on page one of this thread. I only said that out of frustration with the author’s accusation that Calgary threw this game. Its a very serious allegation to put out there, especially when Burris wasn’t 100% , a smart move to sit him and let him heal-- you might see that again next week if the game is meaningless for the Stamps and Burris is not 100% healthy.

Burris is probably still tender from his injury. The game means nothing to Calgary. It will be nice to see a healthy Burris in the semi final. It will be even more nicer when he kicks the Riders butts.

Like i said, kicking @ss in that hostile environment is going to be easier said then done.

A healthy Burris is dangerous. And I believe he can outscore the Riders.

Thats for sure. And i sure hope he does.

What i really like is all the pressures on Saskatchewan this year. Should be fun.

The one thing you are forgetting is that Burris is a streaky player. It will depend on if he is on a hot streak or a cold streak.

How longs he been hot for now?

Bristol: clearly in a later post in this thread (vs your starting post) your motives were exposed for your comments. It has been reported this past week that Burris's shoulder has tighten up and was painful.Why would the Stamps coaching staff risk further injury to their #1 QB? just so your Argos get first place. It was a judgement call on their part, one of which I agree with. Was it a risk? Sure! Edmonton still has 3 games left, and trail the Stamps by 4 pts. Mind you they have to be head of the Stamps by 1 at the end of the regular season in order to finish 3rd in the West. However there still is the possibilty of a crossover, as the Als only have 2 games left with Bombers and Stamps.

IMHO: I think Sankey played fairly well for his first start. It was still anyones game at half time. He made some mistakes, which is understandable for his inexperience. However, with the exception of Charles Roberts, I feel the Bombers didn't play well, and had better get their act in gear.

Gee Eskylo: I have lost count. :wink:

Personally if Burris could have gone I would have sent him out there. The stamps were on a roll with him in there. Yes, it would be taking a chance but then again he could be hurt in the first few plays of the semi final. Then would it make a difference. The Stamps need to get on a roll and keep going even if you have to take a chance. I knew he wasn’t going to play on Monday I will not give you my source.

What an absolutely ridiculous statement. Bristol, I will forever taint you as having nothing legitmate to say.

I know your source red05, and its safe with me.

Including his Hamilton loss? One game.

Yeat I'd like to thank the Stampeders for giving us our First home game in 19 years :slight_smile:

we'll make sure to kick your ass in the Semi!

This time it was not him but another.

Well according to some it was a present from Burris.

Hummmm… Shouldn’t you get it done first. Just a thought.

Quit publicly bragging about sources. That is why there are PMs on this forum.