Cal Murphy hospitalized

From the Winnipeg Free Press:

Legendary Blue Bombers coach and GM Cal Murphy has been hospitalized in Regina.

Murphy, who won a Grey Cup in as Bombers coach in 1984 and two more as GM in 1988 and 1990, has spent the last years working as a scout for the Indianapolis Colts.

Details of Murphy's illness are undisclosed.

Murphy suffered a number of heart attacks before undergoing successful heart transplant surgery in 1992. He is 78 years old.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bombers/Cal-Murphy-hospitalized-84498652.html

My thoughts are with him and his family. I hope he will be okay.

Wow, hope he get's better, that's brutal.Thought's and prayer's to him and his family.

We're all rooting for you Cal!

Wow... guy's had a rough go of it. Hope he gets better!

I've been told that CJOB in Winnipeg reported that Cal is on life support. I hope he recovers.

....Sad, sad news....Cal is a fighter....and you know he's got a lot of people in his cornor...Get well Murph....

A bit of an update in the Winnipeg Sun:

Canadian Football Hall of Famer Cal Murphy is in a Regina hospital with an undisclosed illness.

Murphy’s friend and former colleague, Paul Robson, told The Sun that, from what he understood, the legendary former Bomber head coach and GM was “making good progress.?

A second CFL source, who did not want to be identified, also reported that Murphy was “doing better.?

Murphy, who is currently a scout for the NFL’s Indianapolis Colts, had a heart transplant in 1992 when he was coach of the Bombers.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/sports/football/2010/02/16/12902976.html

From the Regina Leader-Post:

REGINA — The condition of Cal Murphy, a Canadian Football Hall of Famer, was improving at a Regina hospital Tuesday.

A spokesperson close to the family said Tuesday that Murphy, who lives in Regina, had been removed from life support. The spokesperson added that Murphy was conscious and talking but remains in intensive care.

Murphy, 78, has a history of heart trouble. In 1992, he underwent emergency bypass surgery followed by a heart transplant.

Murphy was on the Saskatchewan Roughriders' coaching staff from 1997 to 1999. He was the head coach in 1999.

Murphy is most renowned for his 14-year affiliation with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. He joined the team in 1983 and stayed until 1996. Murphy guided the Blue Bombers to three Grey Cup wins and five appearances.

A two-time winner of the CFL's coach-of-the-year, Murphy has nine Grey Cup rings, earned during a career that took him through half the clubs in the league.

In addition to coaching the Blue Bombers, he also served with the Montreal Alouettes, Edmonton Eskimos and British Columbia Lions before wrapping up his CFL career in 1999 with the Roughriders.

Murphy, who was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2004, has been a scout with the Indianapolis Colts since 2000.

Murphy and his wife, Joyce, have been residents of Regina since 1997.

http://www.leaderpost.com/sports/Hall+Famer+Murphy+Regina+hospital/2573033/story.html

Check out the photo with the story. Now that's proof of success.

All the best to Cal, man I miss seeing him on the sidelines. :frowning:

Get better soon Cal! My prayers go out to you, Joyce, and the rest of your family.
LTF