Cahoon a Canadian? You decide!

Both his parents were born and raised in Alberta, Canada. Three of his four siblings were born in Alberta, Canada. He was born in Utah while his parents were going to school. However, he spent the first 6 years of his life living in Montreal (while his father taught at Concordia University) and Alberta (while his father coached basketball at Red Deer College). His immediate family is definitely Canadian (and proudly carry the title). I personally believe Ben has every right to consider himself Canadian - as his family does.

Umm, if you don't mind me asking, what's the point of this? Of course Cahoon is Canadian . . . I doubt anyone here believes any differently!

If you look through many of the posts about Cahoon, there are many who question whether he's Canadian because he was born in Utah. I just wanted to give all the facts.

Quick question? Does he own a Canadian citizenship?

On the Alouettes website, he is listed on the roster as a non-import, so that should end the discussion. Another team could challenge his status, but I dont think they would get very far.

He has dual citizenship which is not uncommon in Alberta.

Canadian and Albertian?????? :lol: :lol:

I Dont believe that is true!

"Generally, nationality is established at birth by a child's place of birth and/or bloodline."

place of birth is the USA

bloodline is Canada

Canadian as far as I'm concerned.....Can he pronounce "eh" correctly, or is he a "you-all" kind of person? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I also read a recent article how he is living full time in Montreal and will continue after his career.

Non-import does not mean Canadian!
It only means that he, at minimum went to school in Canada!

When you think of it, why don't they list players as import and Canadian?

I bet he says y'all eh!

The only reason some Canadians say "eh" is because they haven't learned to say "huh" yet.

Doesn't being an import or nonimport have to do with where you received your football training in school ? I don't think it really matters where you were born, does it ?

From the rulebook.....

IMPORT
A player who has received training in football outside of Canada by having participated as a player in a football game outside of Canada prior to attaining the age of seventeen years.

A player who has received training in football outside of Canada by having participated as a player in a football game outside of Canada after attaining the age of seventeen years, but who received no football training in Canada prior to attaining the age of seventeen years.

NON-IMPORT
A player who has never received football training outside of Canada, or who was physically resident in Canada for an aggregate period of five years prior to attaining the age of fifteen years.

Hey jm, I thought I had seen every episode of Cartoon Party, but I don't remember Yogi Bear saying that (sig line). :stuck_out_tongue:

How else do you figure he learned the fastest way to get a pic-a-nic basket?

You know... there's a lot of talk about import and non-import, but does that answer the question of whether or not Cahoon is Canadian? Does going to school here or living here for 5 years make you a Canadian?

Being born here automatically makes you a citizen; otherwise, you must be granted your citizenship, which you can receive if you are a permanent resident who has lived in Canada for three of four years prior to applying for citizenship.