Cactus Jack wells-ism

The happy honker goes to

Brady Oliveira with 22 carries for 126 yards

"And it turned out nice again"

3 Likes

Runner up Collaros with his great throwing and scrambling abilities - the second coming of Doug Flutie?

2 Likes

there will never be a second coming of DF.

2 Likes

I wonder if Brady Oliveira will now continue to start or whether Coach O'Shea will at some point insert Johnny Augustine into the starting lineup to see whether he can pick right up again from his very promising play in 2019.

:question:

Yaaa, what a great problem to have.

(Pat Lynch the old guy)

1 Like

And the happy honker award goes to Kenny Lawler
With 12 of 14 catches for 205 yards and 1 touchdown

.....and it turned out nice again....

1 Like

My dear old late dad was at a Bomber game long before the old stadium had upper decks when suddenly the play by play went off the rails. Our runner had been tackled but for some reason Cactus had him flying down the field on his way to a touchdown. Everyone had a good laugh and decades later dad figured the combination of Cactus' sense of humour and a shot or two of whatever they were giving him had something to do with it. Fun times. :grin:

2 Likes

I always enjoy hearing when people have a positive flashback to a sibling, close friend or childhood memory.

Side bar,as you know everyone was half in the bag every day at work, back then. Lol :football:

2 Likes

Yeah the alchohol was flowing like water back then I guess. Must've been a hoot being the only sober guy in the room closing a big deal that no one in their right mind would've agreed to otherwise. Who knows how much booze came into play during player transactions over the years. :grin:

2 Likes

A friend of mine, and bear in mind this would have happened like in the 1950s or 1960s based on his age, told me his grandpa told him when he was young about guys drinking at work:

On the first drink, they looked around to make sure it was all clear and were hiding and sneaking their drink. On the second drink, they looked around some but were a lot less careful. By the third drink, everything was out in the open like nobody was going to ever come around.

1 Like

The happy honker award goes to Ali Mourtada for going 4 out of 5 field goals.

And it turned out nice again.......

3 Likes

We'd be on our way back to our car (parked somewhere off St. Mathews) in the dark and suddenly every car in Winnipeg would start honking. :laughing:

2 Likes

Cactus Jack was a hoot alright.....He sometimes had Edm. playing the Bombers on the radio as I recall when in fact it was the Lions that were in town....I remember he also did the 'horses' from Polo Park and would give the race results at noon....One particular time he had a horse named Jingle Balls in a race....he laughed himself silly and said Jingle Balls was scratched in the third and he continued on laughing ...' and ladies and gents he said, I'm not going to touch that one with a ten foot pole...Quite a character was ol Jack

3 Likes

Fun times. In a way, 'Jack Wells' was a comedy team. We owe a huge debt of gratitude to his lesser known partner 'Jack Daniels'.

Thanks for the memories! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :+1:

2 Likes

Amen to that! Collaros has good scramble ability, but that's where the comparison dies

True enough. The second coming of Doug Flutie wouldn't need the best offensive line in the league to keep him upright. Flutie's jaw dropping 'Flutie Magic' escape manoeuvres left would-be pursuers clutching at air. It was both amazing and frustrating to watch.

Only a superior QB intellect (our guy has one of those) could acheive that kind of elusiveness in lieu of that kind of talent.

I can just see Wiley Collaros ground shipping an 'Acme Rocket Escape System' (straight out of a Bugs Bunny cartoon) to IG Field along with a bucket of something labelled "Acme Super Grease"... and a brush. A really big brush. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

The happy honker award goes to the entire....
Blue Bombers team for a 45 -0 victory

And it turned out nice again.........

Oversized slingshot lol

1 Like

Dropping a big black dot on the ground and then jumping into it to escape from pursuers is my personal favorite (from a Pink Panther cartoon I think). :grin:

1 Like

Yeah, pink panther cartoons VERY underrated. I'm gonna say right now that pink panther in no way shape or form endorses the Hamilton tigercats.

1 Like