Cable or TSN online?

I’m thinking of cutting cable and relying on the TSN online feed + the CFL streaming when I’m away. Downside is losing the PVR and no guarantee that on TSN you can watch the game after the fact. Anyone doing this or have any thoughts?

1 Like

Gosh, I haven’t had cable TV in a very long time. I do the online TSN thing. And whole games tend to make their way onto Youtube eventually – not all, certainly, but enough of them.

4 Likes

Thanks D&P, helpful. Do you find the TSN games that you can watch most of them on delay too?

Oh, good question. I watch them when they’re live, so I hadn’t thought about the delay aspect. Probably not. But between the big play clips and the game recaps, I can get a good sample of what happened even if I happen to miss a game.

3 Likes

Just for your knowledge, apparently some of the games can be watched on their ap after the fact, but it is hit and miss if they make it there because of different rights issues.

2 Likes

Je garde la câble parce que les parties sur RDS ne se retrouvent pas sur le web une fois jouées. Je n’enlève rien à la qualité des analyses des commentateurs de TSN, mais je trouve que le regard de Pierre Vercheval est plus aiguisé et je n’aimerais pas m’en passer.

3 Likes

Yeah Vercheval is good, and frankly the TSN panel is terrible.

2 Likes

La grosse différence est que Vercheval se concentre sur la partie en cours avec une analyse technique et stratégique bien expliquée. Il attire l’attention sur des points précis et ça permet de mieux comprendre ce qui a fonctionné ou n’a pas fonctionné. Lorsqu’il y a redondance d’évènements, il finit par en faire mention pour montrer qu’il y a là quelque chose qui fonctionne bien ou mal mais du point de vue de l’exécution ou en tant que concept de jeu. À part Matt Dunnigan, Marshall Ferguson et Paul LaPolice, je ne vois pas souvent des commentaires aussi bien illustrés de la part des commentateurs ou analystes de TSN.

4 Likes

LaPolice does a bit of that, but mostly they just yell over each other and you can’t hear a bloody thing. Ferguson does it in articles for CFL.ca, but sadly not on TSN.

1 Like

Ferguson was magnificent doing colour commentary for the Grey Cup game on radio, though. Really good.

Edit: You can find the Grey Cup game with his audio synched up with the video on Ferguson’s Youtube channel.

3 Likes

TSN, online and I can watch from our home in Florida with a VPN.
But I preferred to watch it on CFL Plus, no ads
Also had a trip to England in September and watched on CFL Plus
No wonder so many people are cutting cable/satellite, no need for it.

2 Likes

TSN online, I stream live CFL games from a laptop onto my dumb TV via HDMI cable.

Most CFL games are replayed several hours after the live broadcast too so there are 2 chances to watch it on the streaming service. 99% of games will later be available on demand for roughly 1 week, but there was at least 1 game last season that was never made available on demand.

2 Likes

I save about one hour per game because I record all the games and start watching it with a one hour delay.
I love it!
But it is not great for live game chat :blush:.

3 Likes

Oh that is good to know! That was my concern, in terms of missing games if I can’t see them at the exact time they are broadcast.

Yeah, I’ve been doing that too, re watching on tape delay, but at this point, I really only have cable for Als games and that is making less and less sense as it is expense just for that.

You don’t have to use an HDMI cable, you can cast it from your laptop to the TV, I have a Google chrome cast or others will work if you have another type of laptop or if you have a Firestick you can use the internet on their - Amazon Silk.

1 Like

Cable is a dinosaur. Even if you don’t want to mess around with streaming, you can pay TSN $55 (taxes included) for a four-month TSN Direct pass that gives you access to a lot of their sports content, including CFL games. That’s $55 once every four months and you can watch games on your laptop (as I do). If you want big screen, use a cable to hook it up to your TV or cast it.

Zero reason to pay every month for cable in 2024.

2 Likes

So I have a Firestick. I can watch it directly off a browser on the Firestick? Not sure how the casting works, but I am definitely headed towards the TSN streaming package.

1 Like

Right on. Since at least 2010, paying for cable has also been paying for so many channels, including those that are loaded with infomercials and shopping channels that most of us have never wanted to watch even on the internet, with shows that sound a lot like this cross-linked, fine British demonstration.

Now for any interest in any of such documentaries, and they are also far more candid and better, they are FREE all over YouTube once you sort through those that are misinformation and crap. Netflix is also far cheaper or even free, depending on your arrangement with a mobile provider such as in the US, with also better content even for only documentaries.

Unless there was a promotion, I’ve often chosen other routes and still have watched 90% or more of what I want to watch.

1 Like

My laptop is a chrome book, and I bought a chrome cast device for around $30, plugs into your TV and the chrome book detects it and it casts what is on your screen on to the TV.
There are cast devices for other types of laptops
With the Firestick the browser is AmazonSilk - you can use your Firestick remote and type in CFL+ or TSN if you subscribe.

2 Likes