C.F.L. GCC Week 7

Well because only 4 teams have a winning record. Not hard to concieve when a league only has 9 teans. If course the one team is on a bye

Ottawa
BC
Winnipeg
Sask

Montreal (1-4) at Ottawa (0-5)
Thursday 7pm EDT

Hamilton (1-4) at BC (3-1)
Thursday 10pm EDT

Winnipeg (6-0) at Edmonton (2-4)
Friday 9pm EDT

Toronto (2-2) at Saskatchewan (4-2)
Saturday 7pm EDT

Oh come on now, your not supposed to call people names, or you might get flagged.

Ottawa
Hamilton- Someone has to!
Winnipeg
Saskatchewan

Ha ha, come Halloween there will be more clowns out and running about.
Designated game: Calgary vs Sask. Saturday 8pm EDT Oct. 29 at McMahon

1 Like

MTL
BC
WPG
TOR

Change of heart... Gotta go with TOR instead.
I've taken before/after screen grabs in case they're needed. Cheers :beers:

Montreal
BC
Saskatchewan
Winnipeg

Thanks

Ottawa
Hamilton
Winnipeg
Toronto

I usually try to pick one upset to gain ground but it’s only gotten me further behind. This week that would be Hamilton or Edmonton but are you kidding me? Safe and boring on this week’s winners-

Mtl
BC
Wpg
Sask (Cody has legs injected with holy cortisone, or Mason Is just Fine enough in relief)

1 Like

I’m my experience you will never make up ground in a pool by making wild picks contrary to what the leaders pick or common sense. There may be a place for that at the end if you need to make up one or two games and are running out of time, but there is still plenty of time left for anyone to gain ground. I don’t factor in anyone else’s picks or the standings, but rather just try to pick who I think will win any given week. And I throw my fan hat out the window. Let others make the mistakes I say.

Your comments on Saskatchewan are starting to worry me as well. When I picked the Riders I wasn’t aware of how banged up Fajardo was or the fact that he might not even play. If the latter is the case I may break my general rule of not changing a pick once made.

1 Like

It’s hard to get a read on some teams early in the season so occasionally those upsets happen. This year though I think most of the favourites came through.

Going back to Sask-Tor, I’m thinking there
Might be some discipline coming Duke Williams way but doubt it would be more than a fine considering he stayed in the game. If for some reason they go with a game suspension he likely appeals and wouldn’t serve it this week. So Cody is still the big question mark there.

1 Like

I must disagree. Sometimes you have to pick the upset. (look where I finished last season) If the Cats weren't 1-4 I would be way higher in the standings. A fumble here, a missed field goal there....

Ottawa
BC
Winnipeg
Toronto

2-2 last week, Toronto pick balanced out my Ottawa pick.

Montreal
BC
Winnipeg
Sask

Thanks

My picks for Week #7

Ottawa
BC
Winnipeg
Toronto

"Holy cortisone" is what Robin says to Batman when his joints get sore.

1 Like

Sorry but I don't know where you finished last season.

My point mainly was that you shouldn't pick an upset just to be different or because you like a team or don't like a team. It is not stupid to pick an upset after you analyze the teams and the relevant factors such as a short week. I did just that and picked BC over Winnipeg, my team, and was wrong. I thought BC was going to win even though it might have been an upset and so did the majority of participants. Also, the best thing about picking against your team is that you cant lose. So what if you pick wrong. I( have also been wrong on your Ticats twice and they are my main source of pool frustration.

Another general rule that I have that has so far worked very well is to not pick against a team on a win streak or pick a team on a losing streak to win. That is the main reason why I didn't pick Ottawa this week nor have I picked them yet this year. Both the winning and losing streaks will eventually end but by then you will be 6-1 or 7-1 or in that range. Them is pool winning numbers. It is pretty difficult to predict when a winning or losing streak will end (barring a disastrous QB injury or something similar) so I believe that is best left to the teams and at the end of the day your pool record for following a streak will put you in good position once that streak is over.

Similarly, picking against a team whom you don't like, for example the Bombers, as some do in this pool, is also foolish if they are a good team and will win their share of games. At the start of the year I thought the Bombers might finish about 12-6. It's now looking like they will be14-4 or better. Therefore numbers wise , if you picked them all 18 weeks that's still a pretty good record in the pool. I am no statistician but being as objective as possible and relying on the numbers as best you can will I think win you more blue ribbons than following hunches or trying to predict upsets. Everyone will be wrong some of the time, but minimizing your losses by picking who the oddsmakers think will win may be the best strategy you can have, even though I am not following that strategy specifically.

2 Likes

Sorry, but the above was meant to be a reply to your earlier post. I'm using a computer instead of my phone and mixed up the arrows.

I finished in a blaze of regret and brilliant hindsight. If only I knew then what I know now. I'd have ordered the ribs instead of the chicken. :smiley: :+1:

3 Likes