Buy and Read Bob Ackles book, "The Waterboy"!

:thup:

I strongly suggest all CFL fans should buy and read Bobby Ackles autiobiography - The Waterboy.
It is a fascinating feel good story about a Canadian who beats all the odds achieving tremendous success in the CFL, NFL and even a stint in the XFL.
Ackles tells it all and his caring for the CFL comes through in spades. Here is a guy whose family moved to Vancouver in 1952 and had to squat in Stanley Park because his dad had no job nor money for accomodation.
From there Ackles goes on to become the GM of the BC Lions then onto to executive positions with America's team the Dallas Cowboys then the Miami Dophins. The stories are incredibly interesting, insightful and throughout it all it makes you proud to be a Canadian!
This man has truly done it all and succeeded because he was honest, hard-working and always true to his word. It is the best football book I have ever read.
Hats off to Mr. Ackles who saved the BC Lions franchise when he came back to BC from down south at an age when most would be retired. He did so BECAUSE HE CARED ABOUT THE CFL AND HIS HOME COUNTRY. I THINK HIS FAMILY SHOULD BE PRESENTED THE ORDER OF CANADA IN HIS HONOUR. A GREAT CANADIAN WHO DID AS MUCH FOR AMATEUR FOOTBALL AS HE DID FOR PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL.
HAVE A READ - I'LL GUARANTEE YA A FREE TURKEY IF YOU DON'T FIND IT INTERESTING AND INSPIRING!!!!!!!!!
Rest in Peace Bobby
You will be remembered in B.C. and in Canada forever. :thup:

I was going to buy it last year but I wasnt really interested about the nfl part... just doesnt interest me, but Im going to buy it now maybe Ill skip that part.

Don't skip it Bobby, Its an interesting part of the book. Good thred Turkey, I can't add much to your post, you've said it all.

Well i don’t know about anyone else but after recent events if i got an order of Canada, i would either return it, throw out or sell it in a pawn shop…probably the latter. but thats a whole different story.

I've wanted to buy and read this book for a while now. Looks like it will have some very good insight into how a football team operates, much like the book I read called The GM which followed around Giants GM Ernie Accorsi for a season before he retired.

I have a signed copy.

The NFL part is actually pretty interesting, as it's more about the machinations of a pro sport team than rah rah NFL.

Great read and highly recommended, even if you aren't a Lions fan.

I was fortunate enough to get a copy a couple of years ago for being a season ticket holder. Just another reason Ackles is the man to bring the CFL back to BC. Season ticket holders got a copy and since 2002, when Ackles returned, the Lions have had a renewed interest in the city.

Thanks Mr Ackles. RIP. You will be missed.

If this is the depth of your understanding of the meaning of the Order of Canada, you should not fret having to return one because it is highly unlikely you will ever be honoured with the award.

I suggest you do some research into what it really is all about, and the people who have received it. They come from all walks of life and political stripes and have contributed, dare I say, far, far more than an ignorant negative ideologue could ever hope to.

Here’s some advice, not that I expect you to ever take it: Instead of expressing dislike or shame for your country, try contributing something valid and lasting that people can be proud of. Try living somewhere else. Try praising those who did their best for their communities and their country. Do these things then think again about posting worthless negativity in a thread about a man who did all of the above and more.

Constructive criticism FTW.

To repaege: Well spoken!

I would add, "... try living your life like Bobby Ackles did, with honesty, integrity, with hard work and treating others always with dignity and respect regardless of race, creed,economic status or position. That is the true measure of a person and Ackles passed the test with flying colours!!!!!!

That is ONE of the MANY reasons why you will NEVER get the order of Canada.

I am kind of ignorant in respect to Bob Ackles. Other than knowing he used to work in the NFL and was associated with the Lions. That was about as far as my knowledge of him goes.

Condolences to his family and friends

Keep your lame politics in your church. You can have your archaic beliefs if you want but keep them to yourself. I’m sure you realize that the vast majority of Canadians don’t feel the same way and are happy to have the Dr. as a recipient.

He signed My Book ..
It was great Read
After His Death I starting Reading it again.

I couldn't agree more turkeybend. The Waterboy is a great read. Very good insight into pro football on both sides of the border. Mr. Ackles is a real inspiration! :cowboy:

I loved his book. I learned more about football in North American from that book than from watching it for nearly fifty years. I'm very envious of those who have signed copies — my dream of travelling to Vancouver and asking him to sign it for me has been shattered by his death, though I may ask his wife or son to sign it some day.

Im going to pick one up this weekend. They said that sales of his book have gone up this week .

I heard that in a poll done recently, 2 of 3 believe that the Dr. should be a recepicient of the Order of Canada. Some others who have received the honour are returning their medals-- and that just shows that they were not worthy of receiving them in the first place.

Agreed totally Sambo. I’m not a huge fan of abortion, but I’ll stand by the Dr’s right to campaign for what he believed in.

To return your medal is spitting in the face of freedom and democracy, saying that you refuse the honour because others don’t agree with you. That’s contrary to everything Canada has ever stood for. Those who return them don’t deserve the honour. They deserve to be shamed.

I plan on reading it.

It sounds to be a story of hope - one that delivers the message that no matter what hand you're dealt in life, hard work and perseverance can change things. That success comes to those who stick with it and work their way up with integrity, honor and honesty.

A true motivator. And one who spoke through actions, not words.

Oh…so you would rather have women sticking coat hangers in themselves and dieing from toxic shock syndrom…
My friend Andrew grew up without a mother because some back alley abortionist left a significant amount of after birth in his mother…she died of toxic shock…
Ya you are a hero… let your Christian norms rally against common sense you hipocrite. People likw you should move to the USA where irrational thought is appreciated.