Burris won't join Lions staff, pursues NFL coaching opportunity

VANCOUVER — Henry Burris won’t be a BC Lion, it turns out. The CFL hall-of-fame quarterback has accepted a job opportunity within the NFL.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2022/03/25/burris-wont-join-lions-staff-pursues-nfl-coaching-opportunity/

I said right here after Burris was announced that he wasn't a good fit because of his ego and lack of loyalty.

2 Likes

I was wondering why I couldn't find the previous article about Burris joining the BC Lions. Frankly, he is no big loss. In my previous post, I stated that Burris was a whiner and lacked loyalty - he just proved me right. I think it is time for the CFL to stop treating itself as a second class organization by implementing standards of expectation for the entire league - like once a person leaves for the NFL (in any capacity) then they are forced to sit out a year. Make them think twice about this back and forth nonsense!

from part time cfl pay to full time nfl pay. Who wouldnt make that decision. This is no reason to slag him

6 Likes

Agreed. He doesn’t belong to any league or country. It’s a free market system.

1 Like

Would have been a lot closer to a coordinator position with the Lions even if the position he moved on from was a part time consultant than he ever will be in the NFL. Assume he was not part of the football ops cap.

Better for Jordan Maksymic imo

No, that's silly. If someone has a chance at the big money of the big time you have to let him take it. Otherwise you're just being a jerk.

6 Likes

Best of all wishes Henry... Gonna miss yelling HEEEEEENREEEEE. But yes, really, best of luck to you in the big time.

1 Like

Nothing wrong with pursuing other opportunities.

The Lions knew ahead of time this could happen.

They actually supported his desire to seek that opportunity.

1 Like

All I read was that Hank wanted to work with young QB’s and give back some of the knowledge he has learned. Never even got close to that in his NFL job with the Bears coaching staff. But the Lions were gonna let him stay close to home and work with our QB’s… win win for him but less money than the NFL.

I hope he makes lots of money in his new job… works the front ticket office and misses the kids graduation. No hard feelings really.

1 Like

that is just plain ignorant comment

1 Like

Unfortunate for the Lions,
Will be extremely difficult if not impossible to replace the greatest
Offensive Consultant the CFL has ever had! :disguised_face:

2 Likes

So I wonder what lucky NFL team got him , so he can turn the team around all by himself . :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Wondering if BC will hire someone else for that role?

Could be a good way for Michael Reilly to stay in the game as a mentor. Matt Nichols might be willing.

I like Burris, he had his best performance in Ottawa, couple beauties from Burris to Ellingson. 1 in particular was it East final ?trailing with time running out 2nd and 25 and Ellingson pulls in the sweetest bomb ever thrown for a td , yes Ellingson was perfect but the ball was there and was a great moment. As for taking NFL job, well he is American, wasn't like he was on job here long if at all

Granted it was a good throw and catch but it was Gainey falling down in coverage that made the play happen.

Rumoured NFL team is the Jaguars
Jags are coming off a 3-14 season and fired their HC Urban Myer
Their new HC is Doug Pederson

1 Like

It appears that one or two disagree with my idea of not allowing this cross border back and forth between the CFL and NFL - without having to sit out a year. My position is - after leaving the CFL for greener fields south, Burris lost that job south of the border and was lucky enough to get hired on by BC - a position he accepted and then rejects for a better offer from some NFL org.
Hell, the article on this CFL site was barely up, and then suddenly went missing - that is how quickly Burris changed his mind. He showed no loyalty to anyone, other than himself. This guy treats the CFL like chopped liver. For those who believe this is just dandy, then forgive me for calling you money grubbers. Whatever happened to keeping your word and for having the class to stick with it? If the CFL and their fans aren't going to demand better treatment, then it will never happen. I am just one fan who believes that the league needs to set the standard to establish stability and respect. We are unlikely to ever match the American money - but this should not be the reason for anyone to play Canadians and the CFL for fools.

1 Like

A rumour no more . It's apparently official and confirmed .
I can't WAIT to see Hankie turn this train wreck around all by himself . I'm sure with Burris on board that the Jags will be Super Bowl contenders next year . :rofl:

2 Likes

The article on Burris joining the Lions staff is still up.

Unlike you I don’t see this as a massive slight against the CFL. Someone found a better opportunity for himself and I can’t deny a person that. Henry probably had an out in his contract for just such a situation. It might have been different if he went south with two weeks left in the season, but he just signed on and there are several months left before the first game. No damage done.

I can’t imagine what you would say about Chris Jones. Guillotine or firing squad? There are also many of us who swear loyalty until “death do us part”, which doesn’t always work out that way. I just don’t see this as a big issue.

1 Like