Burris Focused on Winning not Revenge.

On the CFL web site, A story on Henry Burris in the upcoming game against his old team the Tiger-Cats and his focus on Winning for the Redblacks not Revenge, but I'm sure it's on the back of his mind of how sweet a Win would be?

[url=http://www.cfl.ca/article/no-grudges-burris-focused-on-winning-not-payback]http://www.cfl.ca/article/no-grudges-bu ... ot-payback[/url]

When Burris left he was pretty upset he was let go by the Cats all worked out in his favour in signing with the Redblacks for more money but I remember Burris calling the Tiger-Cat players all a bunch of rookies and that he felt like he was changing diapers due to the average age of the players and inexperience, I guess payback can work both ways, many young Tiger-Cat players might feel they have to show Hank a welcome back to Hamilton victory for the Cats!

GO CATS GO!!!

:thup: :thup: Of course Hank wants to make a point - that will be his downfall IMO! :)

Should change the title of this thread to

Burris Focused on Whining not Revenge. :wink:

Burris is just pissed that Austn was not willing to pay him the 450K that MD dished out....

He was just looking for a ride into the sunset payday!

I'm not so sure about that. In a recent interview with Hank by the Hamilton media, Hank says that he realized early into his time with Austin that he wasn't "Austin's guy." He then says that he "wanted to be" Austin's guy but he discovered that he wasn't.

What you see as Hank being greedy and seeking "a ride into the sunset payday", I see as a guy who realized he wasn't wanted and decided that it would have to be perfect for him to stay employed with an organization where the two most important bosses (HC & GM) didn't want him to be there. Personally, I would never stay in a job where it was clear I wasn't wanted. Why would anyone?

Hank didn't deserve what he got from the Cats, but it is a business. Hank is better off now than he would have been had he accepted the chump change he was offered, and asked/expected to groom Collaros. In my opinion, Hank won and the Cats lost in that exchange.

http://www.personal.psu.edu/bfr3/blogs/asp/Cheese%20and%20Whine.jpg

http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/funversity/whining_001.jpg

You know, I get both sides of this issue, but why do certain fans have to turn around and slam Burris for doing what's best for himself and his family? The guy led you to your first Grey Cup final in many years, but all of a sudden, he's a bum because he left? He may have wanted top dollar, but Austin also kicked him to the curb.

Myself, I have a great deal of respect for Hank.Certain Hall of Famer and well deserved.
It just irks me that as soon as he gets into town and a microphone gets shoved in his face,
he brings up how he got dumped on by Austin!
Taking the high road is much less controversial, but Hank chose the low road.
So Hank goes to OTT for his $450K insists on the starters role and kicks Kevin Glenn right in the GNADS
It is Kevin Glenn that got kicked to the curb out of this, not Burris.

Why should he hide his feelings? We complain when pro athletes are nothing but cliché machines, but then we also slam them when they actually say what's on their minds. From everything I've read, Burris hasn't personally attacked Austin. He just explained his version of how events went down and said he never felt like he was Austin's guy. It's pretty common for ex-players to open up a bit about their previous team, since they don't have anything to lose in their new situation. Hank's comments seem pretty tame to me. Taking the high road, to me, means standing up for yourself.

So Hank goes to OTT for his $450K insists on the starters role and kicks Kevin Glenn right in the GNADS It is Kevin Glenn that got kicked to the curb here not Burris!!!!
?? Ottawa chose to sign Burris for that amount of money and it is Campbell and Gibson who would have made Hank the starter. Burris didn't insist on anything. You don't pay a QB $450k and then make him fight it out with another QB in training camp! If Glenn was kicked in the nads by anyone, it was the Ottawa organization (though really, they owed him nothing and he should have been a professional about the situation instead of going off on Twitter).

true however the media baited him and he took the bait.

Austin has NO CLASS nice way to treat a Veteran CFL QB can’t even tell him the organization is going in a different direction , they tell him AFTER they sign Collaros , also “Either your his guy or you aren’t” Austin likes to have his balls licked :thdn:

you get what you pay for Half

0-3 soon to be 0-4

I would paid hank 350,000 but due pride
Austin knows all and it all BS
Too pass happy with Your Passers .
Austin is full of himself.
too much power corrupts
“Absolute power corrupts absolutely”

I look at it this way.

Austin did what he thought was best for the organization, which he had every right to do (he's in charge, after all).
Burris had every right to feel upset about how he was treated.

No one's "at fault" here. If Collaros doesn't succeed, Austin will be criticized, just as Burris will be if he can't win in Ottawa, but the on-field result is separate from the handling of the situation IMO.

[b]Grover wrote: So Hank goes to OTT for his $450K insists on the starters role and kicks Kevin Glenn right in the GNADS It is Kevin Glenn that got kicked to the curb out of this, not Burris.[/b]
It was the Redblacks/Marcel Desjardins decision to crown Burris as the starter and subsequently trade the unhappy Glenn to BC. Burris is not to blame for the Glenn situation as it was purely management's decision to go this route, including offering him the $450K.

nobody forced the RB's to sign Burris except the RB's themselves.

D+P, you say this about Burris

"Why should he hide his feelings? We complain when pro athletes are nothing but cliché machines, but then we also slam them when they actually say what's on their minds."

and then you say this about Kevin Glenn

"(though really, they owed him nothing and he should have been a professional about the situation instead of going off on Twitter)."

So if Glenn complains about his treatment, it is unprofessional
yet if Burris complains about his treatment it should be encouraged.
IMHO Burris should have kept it to himself as Glenn should have also.

The difference as I see it is, Hank waited to be asked and was professional about it. Glenn (whom I really like by the way) started spewing off as soon as he was unhappy, to anyone who cared to listen.

Exactly, BillyDee. Burris waited and told his story after he left the team, to the media, in much more measured terms. Glenn just sounded off on Twitter, then claimed someone hacked his account (very weak), while he was still with Ottawa. He certainly had the right to express his displeasure, but it was poorly timed and expressed and he didn't help himself out. Furthermore, Ottawa never owed him the divine right to be starter. They made a decision to upgrade at quarterback, and he didn't like it, but it was their decision to make.

D+P you state this about Glenn
“They made a decision to upgrade at quarterback, and he didn’t like it, but it was their decision to make.”

So Austin made a decision to get younger at QB, and Burris didn’t like it, but it was Austins decision to make.
not only younger but much less expensive.

I look at it this way, Burris' contract was up, he wasn't let go, he just wasn't renewed. The reason for that is fairly clear. Henry Burris is a 39 year old hall of fame QB with a hefty half mil price tag. One of the best QB's this league has every known in Anthony Calvillo lasted until he was 40. Meanwhile, a slew of hot prospect QB's hit the market, all with decent amounts of in game experience and all with a much lower price tag then Hank.

I'm sure Kent Austin the coach looked at Hank and thought "Yeah, I can probably go another season maybe two with Hank and likely get what I need to make it to the cup" all the while Kent Austin the manager screamed "Yeah, he's great for now but he's not going to last much longer and he's killing my cap space. How can I upgrade my defense with the likes of Craig Butler and improve the team as a whole when around 10% of my cap is going to Hank.

Sure, we had Masoli and LeFevour showing Porteresque flashes, but in two years it's not very likely you'll see a good QB become available, save maybe Kevin Glenn again, and we've already been down that road. Collaros was a bit of a gamble, yes and I wouldn't quite say he's been a failure thus far, as much more blame I think falls on our O.Line then him, but he was a calculated risk as the cap space he freed up and the performance he showed in Toronto.

I wouldn't say either side is at fault, I wouldn't say the media getting in a QB's grill to hype a game with a former team in uncommon. I wouldn't say Burris has been disrespectful, nor would I say he deserved to be ripped into for it beyond that he's playing for the other side now.

However, this is Hamilton, there will always be people in this city who will have the attitude of "When you leave here we hate you, when you play for the Argos, no matter what reason we REALLY hate you, but the second you don the black and gold you are the messiah." It's part of the grit of Steeltown, it's a tough fanbase for sure, but with that also means it's always somewhat abrasive.

But I already acknowledged that! If you read my posts, you'll see that I never disputed Austin's right to make what he felt was an upgrade to the QB position. But the way he went about it clearly rubbed Burris the wrong way, particularly if (as Hank says) it was true that he was never Austin's guy from the start. Why expect an athlete with a great career to feel differently? Like I said before, nobody is at fault here. I just disagree with this notion that Burris providing his side of the story months after the fact is somehow "whining." It's not.