Burris Captures Fourth Offensive Player Of The Week Award !!

I wish we could have seen more of Lefevour. At least getting some snaps in games where we had a safe lead late in the 4th quarter. :stuck_out_tongue:

Ditto. My impression of him is based solely on his pre-season play, so there’s a lot of emphasis on “could” in my statement. It’s just that his pre-season performance surpassed my expectations for a rookie, even if it was against third stringers and wannabes. He showed an ability to make plays both throwing and running, and seemed to make multiple reads (better than Porter anyway). I guess we’ll see next year. If the coach ever puts him in. Hard to take Burris out in a close game, and we had a lot of them this year.

The most impressive thing about Burris winning Offensive Player of the Week 4 times?

Unlike most of the other Offensive Player of the Week winners, he never got to do it against the Ticats defence. :cowboy:

Touché.

In no particular order.

Yes. I understand that their are 11 players on the field that have to do their job for a play to be successful & for the team to win. But for those who are now blaming the "young receiving corp" that let Burris down, all I ask is; "Who was it then that caught those 391 passes for over 5,300 yards & 43 TD's this season?" Yes, there were drops by receivers. But yes there were bad passes thrown by Burris as well. I would say for every drop by this young receiving group there were errant passes by Burris. Floaters. One hoppers. And of course interceptions. There were also some highlight reel catches by these receivers. But of course that doesn't get mentioned.

As far as the final game against Toronto. A 36 yard pick 6 @ 12:09 of Q1. Fumble @ 7:09 of 2nd quarter on Hamilton 20. 3 plays later, Toronto touchdown. But of course this wasn't Henry's fault either. Must have been the receivers running wrong route or offensive line employing the "LOOK OUT" block and of course our Defense should've stepped up and stopped Toronto scrimmaging from Hamilton's 13. In fact why didn't they push them back out of field goal range or take the ball back themselves & score a touchdown. Shame on them. Of course it could have nothing to do with Henry holding the ball precariously outside his body with one hand & not having the pocket presence to know where the pressure was coming from? So 14 points off two turnovers by Henry in a 43 to 40 loss. But of course none of it was Henry's fault. It's all the other 23 players. He's the only one that is not to be critiqued.

To be clear. My issue/problem here is not with Henry himself. As I've said numerous times here, I like Henry & think he's a good quarterback. My issue/problem here is the hypocrisy & narrow view of some posters.

You say I'm focusing only upon his turnovers. Pulling out only Henry's interceptions & fumbles statistics. But others are only looking at his completions, yards & TD's.

You blame receivers and other players making mistakes. Yet you don't give them much credit for when they do their jobs. For Henry to have had such a remarkable year, then the OLine must have done some things right? It's truly amazing that Henry had such an incredible year with this rag tag group of neophyte receivers? Thank god Henry was able to run away from 4 on coming defensive linemen all year long then pushing the receivers from behind to get them open. Throw the ball, run up, catch it for them then hand it to them personally! Thank goodness we had Henry personally have everything to do with every great play the TiCats have this season and it must have been one of the other 11 that messed up on bad ones. It's truly remarkable that he didn't get the MOP nomination since he did everything & make no mistakes!

Once again. Problem is not with Burris. It's with hypocrisy & only seeing part of the picture then calling me out when I suggest you look at the other parts.

JC Sherritt won DPOTW four times. As did Adam Bighill.

Jon Cornish won CPOTW 7 times. Though I recognize this is not as difficult as the others by Cornish's own admission.

All these long posts when only two words are needed. "Congratulations Henry"

While I have argued with you on some of your points in this and other threads, I agree that Burris should not get a free pass on his turnovers. I would definitely like to see them reduced, although looking at his past stats, that just ain’t going to happen - it’s part of what he is, a dangerous, trigger-happy gunslinger. And sometimes, there are casualties. But I do think he’s a good QB, and maybe if we could get a few Kevlar vests (aka a good defence), those wild bullets wouldn’t be as serious. And I’d be happy with that.

Actually, I’d like to take it even further. All this talk of receivers running the wrong route being behind some of the interceptions. As I’ve asked in another thread, why is it always the receivers’ fault when they run the “wrong route”? Isn’t it possible that the receiver had an option of turning out or up depending on what the DB was giving him, and he made his decision, but the QB read the coverage differently? For example, a few weeks back, Williams ran a route up the sideline, the defender was covering close, Williams, faked an out, and then burned past the defender and was wide open. Burris threw it to where the fake would have put Williams, but the only player still there was the defender, who had bit on the fake and was probably panicking that he had seriously lost his guy - at least until he saw the ball coming straight at him. So, whose fault was the interception? Williams for taking what the DB had given him, an open route to the end zone? Or Burris for not waiting the split-second to see what Williams was going to do? The same think happened a number of times with Stala, and everyone assumes he blew his route. Without seeing the playbook, how do we know what the receivers’ options are?

Agree with you 100% CatsFanInOttawa. Hope you weren’t thinking I was calling you a hypocrite. You’re one of the more knowledgeable & objective posters I interact with here & enjoy our discussions immensely.

As far as the question you posed … Very good point. In fact, at training camp and practices I very often witnessed Cortez getting on receivers much of the time saying; “Don’t run a straight line! They’re not patterns! Get open!” From what I saw, Cortez’s system relies quite a bit on receivers choosing from route options based on coverage & Burris making reads accordingly. Yes. Sometimes receivers make the wrong reads. Sometime Burris makes the wrong reads. And sometimes, neither reads wrongly … Just differently. Over the course of the year i saw recievers make the wrong read. You can generally tell because either George or Jermaine Copeland gets in their face or you see them gesturing wildly from the sidelines ofmthe read route they were supposed to make. Same goes with Henry. When it was obviously his mistake in read, you’ll see cortez talking with him or directing those same gesture towards him. Time and familiarity with the system & each other are keys to its success. And if everyone is sitting down … Take a deep breath … I will say that the results were pretty good for players operating in such a interdependent system in their first year.

Thanks. I try.

Unfortunately, watching on TV, I don’t always get to see the coaches’ reactions to blown plays, so it’s hard to say who’s at fault. Usually, the cameras focus on the QB in these cases, who often is gesturing what he was expecting. What I’d prefer seeing is the QB and receiver discussing the play afterwards, both learning what the other’s tendencies are, and adjusting the next time. We saw this with Burris nd both Williams and Stala this year, and some of their great plays late in the year were a direct result. And as you say, the results were pretty good for the first year with this system; assuming the team doesn’t blow things up on offence (dumping Cortez or completely changing the roster - again), they should be even better next year. And maybe, just maybe, the number of interceptions will drop.

calling krisiun....big deal...he was offensive....interceptions and fumbles cost us the game...and he was playing against second and third stringers...you really don't know much about the game......

We are all extremely fortunate here to have ticats499 teach us the intricacies of the CFL game. In fact I’m convinced that you are really Matt Dunigan incognito. It’s fantastic to have an expert on the Cat’s forum.