Burn The Witches Thread, Volume 5

Despite what a lot of people think, we did not lose because of Mathews, It was a team loss.
Offense, Defense, Specials and Coach's. There is lots of blame to go around
Mathews is our guy now, He wears the sweater, get behind him or get lost !!!

One week to prepare for @ home to SSK. :rockin:

Maver even tweeted after the game that it was the worst wind he’s experienced.

Mathews threw a perfect deep ball to Aprile. Through his arms.

Critical second down pass to Grant. Bounces off his hands.

D stripped the ball and got it back after an interception. Ford fumbles.

Mathews fumbles on the Calgary 11

Banks bobbles another punt at our 16.

None of this is coaching or play calling.

That’s the way I saw it, too – “a team loss” – the second in a row, and with similar errors. I wasn’t expecting more than we got from Mathews, but really was from the team, as a whole. If they were coached, and played, to win, rather than not to lose, it quite possibly would have turned out as very encouraging victory.

On TravelPatB’s comment – “As for the blown time count violation - that is not only on Mathews. There was clearly confusion and one of the other players or coaches should have called a timeout.” – Sinkfield, lined up in the backfield, was clearly making the time-out signal but the officials didn’t see, or didn’t act on, it.

Maybe we did not lose because of Mathews, but we certainly aren’t going to win with this guy. One, maybe two more Ws in the regular season and then the Cats are easy pickings for whoever they get in the playoffs. This is what will happen, guaranteed.

Our season ended when Collaros went down – a cruel, cruel blow from the football gods, as Hamilton was widely considered the best team in the league and was finally going to get in done in Winnipeg on November 29, 2015.

To be fair, that was as fluky a fumble as you are going to see. If Sinkfield decides to just give up and stay flat on the ground, Ford has open space for a touchdown.

Nice hair, though!

The key to being a great QB is recognizing coverages and knowing what you are going to do with the ball. I.e. Finding the one on one coverages etc. Matthews made many passes to areas well defended and was lucky to not have had several interceptions. He looks scared and out of shape.

Sinkfield tried, but the officials didn’t see him.

Still going on about this, Defense?

" Matthews made many passes to areas well defended"

Please expand on this. Of his 23 passes 15 of which were completed. Who did he try and force a ball to that was well defended?
Also tell me where and who you would've passed too that wasnt?
And if you could can you tell me where CGY ranks defensively vs the pass.

I’m under the impression only captains, coaches and the QB can call timeout. Is that no longer the case?

This team was not properly prepared and although Matthews was part of the problem he was not the whole problem.

Yes Calgary needed a last minute field goal which proves they were ripe for the picking just like the first game of the season. Both sides of the team were ill prepared, they both looked lost and not motivated. Offense was tentative at best and just plain bad. Defense just ignored Cornish completely. If Calgary were to let him run every play the score would not have been so close. The depleted defensive backfield was not too bad but the line and LB were out coached. I do not understand why Stienhauer did not have his best man on Cornish. We could see the screens all night yet there was nary a TC player anywhere near him. He ran the ball at will which means the line and the LB’s were not focused.

Offensively Matthews was again tentative which caused most of his problems. Guys dropped balls he fumbled, threw more INT’s it was a mess except for Ford, I am glad he is back. They had two weeks to prepare for this game and I understand they had a week off but we were out coached.

KA, I do not and can not find an excuse why you did not call the time out when the clock was running down and you saw the players in confusion. That one stupid inexcusable mistake probably cost us the game. With all that had happened previously we were winning and then handed it back to them. I thought I was watching Mike Tomlin last night.

Time for the coaches to coach and stop crying about losing Collaros. He is only one man, an important man but there are 23 other guys that got us to where we are. Let’s focus on them and get Matthews some confidence because importing another QB is not the answer. I do not want to see Glenn again, he like Burris are not money QB’s. Both work well between the 20’s but when it gets to money time they cannot cut it. We have experienced them both. Start coaching instead of crying in your coffees and this includes Condell who is my least favourite coach.

This was a game that I thought Calgary would win easily. I was surprised it was so close and probably a game where Calgary should have lost, It was a game where neither team played well, the weather had a lot to do with that, but I really thought that Hamilton would have lost by at least 10 points. This gives Hamilton some hope because it took a last minute field goal by the best team in the West to beat them, imagine if Zack was playing, this would likely be very lopsided score and a Hamilton win. I'm not sure that Calgary took Hamilton too lightly or maybe Calgary isn't as good as their record.

I believe any player or the Head Coach can request a team time out. From the CFL Rule Book (see 2nd to last line):

Article 3 – Time Out
Time shall start when the ball is touched following the kickoff at the start of a half, or after a scoring play, and shall continue until the ball is ruled dead and an official signals to the timekeeper that time shall stop for any of the following reasons:
• When a score has been made
• When the ball goes Out of Bounds
• When a forward pass is incomplete
• For the application of penalties
• For player substitution
• For delay caused by player injury
• When time expires at the end of each period
???14
CFL OFFICIAL PLAYING RULES
• When the ball becomes dead after the three-minute warning has been given in any half
• When a player or head coach requests a team timeout
• For a convert attempt during the last three minutes of a half • When the Referee deems it necessary to suspend play.

That’s correct - this team has been placed in a position where it will now either live or die this season with Mathews.

That’s because…

1. It’s too late to bring in anybody else and bring them up to speed in this offense in time to take over effectively.

2. Even if somebody was available, Austin’s head is too big to admit he may have been wrong in his selection of backup QB.

IMO, this team has been vulnerable since day one because Austin has been negligent in not ensuring that a competent, GAME READY backup quarterback was available. In this league, starting quarterback is a two-man job, not a one-man job. I think history shows that you probably won’t get through the season without injury to your starting QB. That risk has increased now that such a talent mismatch exists between defensive and offensive lines in this league.
You cannot fault Mathews for his performance. He has been placed in a position for which he is clearly not ready. The team (and the coaches) have lost their leader and you can see it in their play.

Cap’n: What “offensive game plan”? I did not see any game plan. The offence was or the most part ugly…with the exception of a few nifty running plays. I was unable to get a fix on what the offensive strategy was. The problem may have been the execution. Or the wind. And definately the stupid penalties like the illegal contact late in the game that started our demise.

Mathews had a few good moments and looks to have some potential but I think he has now run out of goodwill. I think he should start next weeks game against Saskatchewan but Jacory Harris needs a ton of reps next week and then keep his helmet close by on the sidelines next Friday night. We can’t afford to make any more costly offensive interceptions and fumbles.
And we can’t continue with the 2 and 3 yard passes. The training wheels need to come off Mathews…the ball needs to be forced downfield a heck of a lot more.Is a 12-yard passing play too much to ask for? He has the arm but if he is really ready to step up, he needs to show something more in the next game.

Haven't posted in a while, and this is why. Unbelievable all the flack Mathews is getting. For anyone who was at the game, you'd understand why our passing attack wasn't very crisp, hard to throw in 60km winds despite what some people here would like to believe. We were in the game until the last play and truly we should have won the game. If I am going to point the finger at anyone, which I don't like doing because it is never one person's fault, but our defence needs to start wrapping up and getting back to the basics of tackling, we let Cornish/receivers gain way to many yards after first contact.

All things considered I thought Mathews looked good, and it blows my mind some of you are writing him off after ONE start in a goddamn wind tunnel. Anyone who went into this game expecting a win against the Stampeders was out to lunch to begin with. The coaching staffs main goal right now isn't wins, we have enough of those already to make the playoffs and we will get a few more this year I have no doubt, main focus needs to be getting Mathews ready for playoff time, and despite the conditions last night I think we took a step forward in that process. That was a tough tough game and Mathews had us in the lead until the final snap, really was a solid outcome for us fans all things considered, it could have been a real disaster last night.

I still have a hell of a lot of faith in this team even with Mathews at the helm, if there is one thing Austin has proven in his time as a coach in the CFL, it is that he is able to deal with adversity like a seasoned pro especially when it comes to quarterbacks.

Please people keep the faith, this place is an absolute joke after a last second loss. This forum has become all dramatics with a very small dose of rational and logic.

I'll be interested in seeing that play again (Lost down penalty). I saw Sinkfield motion for a timeout, I want to see how long was on the clock when he called it, and why it wasn't accepted.

I don't think you guys are right about Mathews.
So are you really writing Mathews off after one game(his first start), :roll:
which by the way was against the best team in the League, Under near hurricane conditions with only 2 weeks to prepare.
He did lead the team to a 20 -17 lead with 3 min. left in the 4th Qtr against a 60 KPH wind.
Mathews did not lose this game, the inability of the defence to stop Cornish running constantly for first downs was the difference in the game

X2 :thup: :thup: