Burn the Witches 2: Post Game Spleen Venting Thread

Every team has gone through the same thing, a lot of players didn’t return because of covid and the shortened season. Ticats no worse than any other team.
The offense wouldn’t look any better with Burt, he’s on the practice roster because the coaches decided to go with Kahlinic. Burt is either not ready or not good enough to replace Kahlinic right now.
The team has a bye week, time to make adjustments, bring in new players. Next game in two weeks against the Als, and they looked sharp. Good chance that the Ticats go into the Labour Day classic 0 - 3

But, coach, this is the CFL and there’s no way the TiCats could have 6 offensive coaches. I doubt the team has ever had a larger coaching staff, than it did the last time it won a game. We, then, had 11 coaches, and now, with the salary management system extended to football ops staff, we have 9. The two teams who trounced us in the past 8 days, do though, each, have one more coach than the Cats. Teams were likely faced with the choices of cutting salaries or reducing numbers and our management, I guess, chose the latter.

1 Like

I realize all teams face the same thing. Just pointing out it seems to have hurt us more. We lost a lot of experienced vets.

Wasn’t saying replace Kalenic with Burt, I curious to see them PAIRED together, on thr field at the same time. A two headed slot back monster that can open up those short pass and run plays or add some blocking protection.

The good quarterbacks in the league run with the ball totaled the pressure off.

All that’s probably true - I just know we can’t get by on 3

They also cant get by with 2 receivers. Tucker and Marshall proved they are 100 percent not good enough.the whites were backing them up.hope they get better.its a passing leagues you need t talent there

I thought Tim White (12) showed some hustle, could see him
fighting for some playing time with Tucker down the road. Kalinic I also thought played really hard, made some nice blocks downfield. Apart from that not too many bright spots overall on offence.

Lots of teams going through injuries, bringing new guys in to cover retired players. Winnipeg has basically rebuilt their whole secondary and Sask a good portion of their oline and linebackers and don’t seem to have missed a beat. Injuries are a given, can’t use this as an excuse.

It does seem odd that y’all have no dedicated RB coach, particularly since Coach O is from the defensive side of the ball.

The most visible thing is their boney appearance and this with the added benefit of appearing larger on TV. They just look like they’re terrified of the weight room. You saw Sask players with these huge pipes and then you pan the camera to Ticat players and their pipes are as boney as they come. They are an eye-sore this year in so many ways but showing up this season as skinny as that is frustrating. These guys are toast. They won’t win 5 games this year.

Individually, I see Acklin as the one TiCat performing, so far, even better than we might have expected. If he keeps up the pace, and plays 14 games, he'll be over a 1000 yds. in this, basically, 3/4 of a regular season. Simoni, Speedy and Kalinic, I think, are playing, at least, close to levels that we'd have expected. Any suggestions for additions to this short list of players performing as well as we might have hoped they would?

I honestly don’t think we have the right physically dominant players on o-line but more importantly I don’t think we have the right coach for the o-line

You may be right. I’m pretty sure Gibson has coached oline in other places before but maybe he just doesn’t mesh with the younger players? It was pretty interesting to see how much BC improved last year after switching oline coaches.

1 Like

Remember a few weeks ago, when we thought our biggest challenge for the 2021 season would be avoiding a deadly virus when we attend the games? Those were simpler times.

And the award for most original and mildly disturbing take goes to…

3 Likes

Well if the team keeps playing like this there should be no trouble with social distancing at the games .

1 Like

I'm wondering if there is an issue with play-calling on offense. We have the same co-ordinator, I wonder if he is just recycling the plays that we used in '19. If so, the other teams have had a long time to watch tape and analyze the pass routes, blocking schemes, etc. That might explain why we can't seem to get anything going - they know what we're going to do.
Just a thought.....

1 Like

When the defense is sending 3 all night and just spying the QB with a 4th, and they’re STILL getting pressure … it’s not play calling. It’s execution.

Sending 3 and spying with the 4th guy, that is just straight up not respecting what you’re bringing. If the Ti-Cats just block properly up front it’ll make a world of difference.

3 Likes

Van Zeyl is going to be 38 years old this fall. He and a few other vets looked tired to me.

1 Like

A few other random thoughts:

I like the call to try the field goals from the 50. Neither missed kick resulted in a substantial return. Punts from mid field often lead to no yards calls and maybe a 15 yard swing. Those kicks were close.

Masoli no longer looks mobile. Tons of pressure all night, but his running appeared to not be part of the plan. Whatever other problems he has, this may be a by product of the knee injury.

Special teams were solid. Ricky had a great night.

I thought the rookies looked good.

O-Line isn't the one we had in 2019. More like what we had with Austin.

STE is solid and will perform with better blocking.

Better than game 1 but we have a long way to go.

1 Like

Hi I agree with all posts. Yes Bombers and Sask are tough at home but Gees this is only an 8 team league and Als look real.

We can't seem to tackle or sack an opposing QB.

Kicking 50 plus FG isn't doing much good.

Whole team coaches et al , don't seem in sync.

We have to get back to basics blocking running good routes good passes good tackling simple plays. Get some momentum.

This isn't preseason we are 0-2.

Yet there are still 12 games to go and if we improve in all categories it will make a difference.

1 Like