Burlington Council votes 5-2 in favor of exploring stadium

[url=http://www.thespec.com/news/local/article/309607--burlington-supports-stadium-report]http://www.thespec.com/news/local/artic ... ium-report[/url]

Well, that should be the final nail in the "Hamilton" coffin......

Certainly seems like a logical course of action I would say.

This is hilarious !
[b]
"In Hamilton the Chamber of Commerce has issued a “call to action? to its members to fight the potential loss of the Ticats to Burlington.

“Faint as it may seem, we can still save the Stadium & the Ti-Cats for Hamilton!? reads the message sent out this morning.

“We do need you to contact your local Councillor ASAP to let them know forcefully that it is "unacceptable" to you that we, as a City, simply give up on this!?"[/b]

Everyone seemed to think Bob was playing games and bluffing..........well, the cards have been played, the ship has left the dock and the City of Hamilton is again on the outside looking in ......too late for the Chamber to weigh in now......where were they until now? :roll:

They and many others thought he was bluffing is all I can think at this point.

Looks like the Cats are moving out of your welfare state and taking the show down the highway.
I hope your happy now.
Who can blame them,in this un-business friendly town.

I will not contact Slammin Sammy because it is un-acceptable.
Moving to Aldershot is very acceptable IMO

The downtown chamber of commerce was one of the biggest obsticales in getting anything done for the cats. Looks good on them. Lets see them fill their empty shops now that no one has any reason to visit the armpit of Ontario.
When can I order my season tickets for the new location??

8)

Now they have to get Troop to change his mind on the Feb 1st. with a bow on it.... If there is some kind of basic agreement with the city of Burlington, it would be nice for them to be given a decent amount of time. Hamilton got an extra six months...

I'm a bit hesitant to do any celebrating, as the rest of us must be, especially after reading in the Spec article that Burlington Mayor Rick Goldring wants to ask Ian Troop and HostCo for a deadline extension. I honestly can't see HostCo offering any further deadline extensions, whether it be for Hamilton or Burlington. The Pan-Am Stadium is going to end up elsewhere (likely Mississauga). There simply isn't enough time for either city do get this done properly. I know this sounds very pessimistic, but I honestly believe that if the Aldershot stadium is to become a reality, then the Ticats are going to have to put together their own consortium of private investors and do this on their own, along with Paletta. The whole Pan-Am concept is not likely to happen here at all. It's absolutely unfortunate, but it looks like the ultimate, ugly truth. :expressionless:

I told you Burlington is City of Auction ..
Unlike Hamilton ..

Maybe Hamilton should give $20 Million or so towards Aldershot - after all the name "Hamilton" will stay and Hamilton hasn't really provided a decent home for the Tiger Cats over the years. Seems fair.

So you are saying it could end up in Mississauga? have they approved a site? or will it be just like the Burlington situation, with Mississauga expected to review, find a site and approve by the 1st of February too? I don't think Mississauga or any other place in the region is sitting back with a site/funding and approval ready to go.

I don't think that Hostco has any choice now, but to grant an extension to Burlington. Certainly any other city that would be considered now would have to put some type of proposal together and Burlington is the closest to approving a site. If they say no to an extension to Burlington then its good by PanAm games for Canada, they then would have to give another country a chance but how could another country come up with something before the 1st of Feb.

So, already 2 of 7 are detractors for a glorified fact-finding mission? What will that become when actual costs are calculated? This should've been a unanimous vote.

Email Senator Dave Braley and Larry Smith and ask them to lean on Ian Troop.

Seriously, that kind of thing works.

The Pan-Am Stadium is going to end up elsewhere (likely Mississauga).

There simply isn't enough time for either city do get this done properly.

I know this sounds very pessimistic, but I honestly believe that
if the Aldershot stadium is to become a reality, then the Ticats

are going to have to put together their own consortium
of private investors and do this on their own, along with Paletta.

The whole Pan-Am concept is not likely to happen here at all.

It's absolutely unfortunate, but it looks like the ultimate, ugly truth. :expressionless:

There is a good chance burlington won't need an extension. This deal has been on the back burner since the summer. Just in case Hamilton flushed the hole thing down the toliet, which they have.
If they do need an extension it will come.

8)

I agree that despite what Troop says, if waiting two more weeks after the "deadline" to get everyone on board with a stadium which will serve the Pan Am games close to Hamilton and keep the Ticats in this area, the two weeks will be granted. Why would Troop kill this prematurely if it looks like it's going to work? Hopefully senator Braley gives him a call and reminds him what's at stake.

Troop is probably worried of being caught up in a political fight and he probably knows McGuinty will not back him up when Hamilton politicians come sreaming and crying threatening votes...

While I m very glad Burlington council has voted to study the potential site, one has to ask the question, why/how can Burlington gather enough information, having not done this to this degree and the city of Hamilton (at least council is of the opinion) to no allow staff to study Confed Park?

Chew, have you looked at the site? It hardly needs a lot of study especially with the zoning done for an arena and parking. Sure there's some Carolonian forest and other aspects there - http://thompsdk.tumblr.com/page/1 - but as I say the zoning has been done so I doubt an environmental assessment needs to be done, anything major. Carolinian forests are all over southern Ontario and buildings and parking lots and highways have been built on these lands. It has been studied quite a bit. They can focus on the development aspect rather than the land.