Buck Pierce fan club

He’s not a person you build you franchise upon when he’s that fragile.

And you think Drew Tate is? what a joke.

Looks like Buck will be back before Ray or Tate.

Last year Tate got a pass because it was the first year it was really a problem (much like when Pierce was injured in BC the first couple of times, it wasn’t a big deal). This year? Serious questions are being asked. Hell, they even brought it up on TSN.

Pierce has just been in this pattern so much longer that it’s a bigger story. Plus Calgary has a veteran backup that’s pretty good.

I think what it comes down to is: Can all you critics please tell us Bomber fans something about Buck that we don't already know ?

You can boo him when he struts out onto the field to begin a series. That’s how you get the ball rolling on a suitable replacement.

That’s what the fans did when Steve Bellisari was the quarterback at Ohio State. That was unheard of at the time. Coach John Cooper got an ear full.

You guys that attend the games are much too kind and/or don’t care about your team enough to bring up unpleasant issues on what the “real” problem is.

You didn’t answer my question and I don’t believe I should be replying to your retort, but here goes. Who is the suitable replacement ??? Right at this moment, Buck gives us the best chance to win games.

Dan, you are 100% correct, he didn’t respond at all to your point.

At this point we don’t know. Goltz? Hall? We just don’t know if they are suitable or not. Have only seen Goltz in limited action in garbage time, and haven’t seen Hall at all.

I know that’s the party line, Dan, but upon what is it based ? We know what Buck is capable of and what he’s not capable of. There’s no unknowns with Buck. At best, he’s an average QB. Not bad, but not an allstar either. But as for Goltz and Hall, while they may turn out to be total busts as starters (remember Tee Martin), one or the other might just turn out to be another Ricky Ray. The point is that we just don’t know yet. So I’m not sure that just repeating the mantra that ‘Buck gives us the best chance to win’ makes it so. IF, and I agree it’s one big IF, either Goltz or Hall does have the ability to be the next Ricky Ray, then no, Buck wouldn’t give you the best chance to win. We can only determine that after Goltz and Hall have been given a shot. So far they haven’t been given that; is now the time to do so?

Thankfully that’s not my decision to make.

Before this past weekend I would have traded Buck Pierce and a 1st round draft choice to Toronto for Zach Collaros. That went down the drain when Ricky Ray went down.

I don’t see the sense of urgency with the Winnipeg folks to improve.

This will sound bad, but if Buck Pierce makes it thru the rest of the season, do not protect him from Ottawa. Let Ottawa be tempted to take him. That improves Winnipeg’s chances of winning against Ottawa with Buck playing for Ottawa.

I'm all for giving Goltz or Hall a try and I've said so before. If Buck is healthy and we give each backup 3 or 4 games to prove themselves and they fail, which has happened in the past, then we'll have lost 6 to 8 games. Imagine the screaming then. If Buck gets hurt, then the experiment should begin. There are more problems than just Buck !!! Is it fair to the backups to put them in with a depleted receiving core or a suspect O-line. I don't think so.

And what qualifies as a shot? Look at the Reilly situation. He’s played bad, yet I don’t hear fans calling for the Esk’s to make a trade for another QB. Brink & Elliott both had shots last year, both had good games and bad. You have to settle on one and let them grow with the team. Goltz has been here for awhile, it’s time to give him the reigns and see what he can do.
And for those who love to throw out our record of Buck finishing games and say that he gives us the best chance to win, you could conversely look at our record in games that he starts but does not finish and say he also gives us the best shot at losing.
Buck is a great guy, but we really do need to move on from him being our starter.

What I'm stating is that if you're going to change boats midstream, it's a good idea to not have any holes in either boat, and right now there are many leaks... Also, I never realized Collaros was such a great QB and franchise saver. Hmmm

WTH are u smoking? There’s no way Toronto makes that deal. They have 3 backups right now they are happy with. So why in the world would they take Buck to begin with. And with the expansion draft looming at the end of the season, they might lose one of Harris or Collaros so why empty the shelf? If they trade away Collaros now and they lose Harris in the expansion draft, they are down to Gale and Portis who are still around and are probably not as good as either Collaros or Harris. That’s a fantasy league trade, not a real trade. The best way to get one of the young guys like a Drew Willy or Collaros would be to swing a deal with the Redblacks after they draft and it’ll probably cost a starting NI and a pick depending on how things unfold for them. And Ottawa will not be tempted to take Buck at all, not with his injury history. If they want a veteran QB in the expansion draft they will either get Kevin Glenn who can start for the short term and probably won’t mind the move since it will be closer to his offseason home in Detroit, or they will select Kerry Joseph to help mentor a young guy and bring him home where he started his CFL career.

The offensive scheming is a mess right now and Buck just has more experience which makes him the best choice to run whatever it is they are trying to do. They think Buck is probably better at making things happen when things break down. I think they want to see the QB make a play with his arm when things go bad. The problem, or one of them anyway, was things were breaking a lot, receivers weren’t getting open and they were making Buck sit in the pocket which was a recipe for disaster. Goltz as we saw like to tuck and run and Burke mentioned it when asked about Goltz’s performance that there were opportunites to throw the ball which he didn’t take and ran with it instead which was an experience issue. Its beginning to look like its only a matter of time before changes are made on offense. We saw a change at QB last year after the bye week, could happen again this year.

I think the best back up in the league is Bo Levi in Calgary. He is the guy we should try and pry away from Calgary. I think Huf may keep him over Tate or Glenn in the expansion draft. It’s kind of sad, that Calgary’s 3rd stringer is better than our 1st !

Hard to say, kasps. Sure Mitchell’s looked good in limited time with a good team in Calgary. But Reilly looked good in limited time on a good team in BC last year, is now the starter in Edmonton, and isn’t looking anywhere near what I think they thought they were getting. Would Mitchell turn out to be another Reilly?

With Reilly, when Buono doesn’t really want you. that should have set off flashing lights to prospective teams. I’m glad the Bombers didn’t over pay on him.

Goltz should be given the reins and Pierce could assume the role of the back-up. By doing this we’ll know by the end of the season whether Goltz is the guy to move forward with and meanwhile, Hall could spend the season learning all he can. Remember, it took quite some time for Lulay to step up and show he’s starter material (fans were not impressed with his early starts in BC) but now everyone around the league would love to have him start for their team. The Bombers have nothing to lose because it’s painfully obvious by now that Pierce isn’t the answer, but could still turn out to be useful coming in off the bench and/or helping teach the others. We’ll never know how good Goltz can be unless we give him a realistic opportunity. So far, he’s done fairly well considering his limited reps in practice and actual playing time.