Buck CANNOT be the starter in 2013

Glenn is one of those QB’s that will give you hope and then make you cry. But at least he can win games. Last year was a perfect example. put up 53 points against Montreal then crapped the bed in the bed against Winnipeg. Can’t wait to see what Huffnagel does… He’s got a very tough decision to make. Go with the inexperienced QB comming back from Rehab or go with the experienced chocker…

More important than anything right now is building an O Line. Montreal has and always have the best back up O Lineman in the league on hand in case one of the starters need to be replaced for injury. They often groom a guy for a couple of seasons and if there is no space for him on the O line they tend to trade one away for immediate need and another on steps into that role. Montreal is in need of NI reciever and some DB depth which Winnipeg has an abundance in both areas so that would be something worth looking into.
They have Tyson Pencer, the 3rd overall pick in 2012, who has spent the season on the IR it will be time to place him into action. The current draft is filled with potential O line man also and unless they have traded it away they will have the 1st or 2nd pick in the draft. The top player right now is a DT from U Sask if they have the top pick they should take the top guy as the Cline also needs help. Some good scouting will come in handy as Toronto, Edmonton, and Sask have all found top import LT to anchor there lines. Glenn January was more affective as a RT giving the O line an experienced guy
As for coaching changes or bringing in an outside QB they may be best to stick with Elliot and Brink and Crowton as the offense has looked pretty good since Lapo has not been leading Crowton and since Burke gave Crowton the instructions to get more aggresive starting out the game instead of using the first qtr to set things up. They are more than solid at RB and imagine the kind of season Simpson will have next year if he comes into the season healthy and have Wil ford aboard to help with the heavy dose of the running game.
Hard to judge the QB and OC after a season of disaray.
I have said it before Elliot and Brink deserve to come into camp with a 1 and 2 QB as there role and not the 2 and 2a debacle that has been going on.
Everyone likes buck pierce but I thik if you start Elliot that Brink would be a better number 2. Toronto in fact may be interested in replaciing Jackson who the Argos have found out is not the answer as a number two after the way he played. His time may be up. The first sign of that is when BC let him go in favor of a younger QB at #2.
Kevin Glenn is not even an option for the BBs as far as i can see. It is pretty much been established that he is not the answer to a team in need of a starter.

You can’t put Buck in the backup QB role. He’s the best QB on the team and if he’s healthy sitting on the sidelines, the second whoever the starter is struggles you’ve got a QB controversy.

It’s been a long time since the Bombers have had the luxury of an experienced back up QB. Buck will not find employment as a starter in the league ever again, so what option does he have?

Having Buck as a back up would be a great mistake. There are still a whole lot of people who believe Buck can still be the starter and at the first change would scream for his return as such.

Personally and that from a simple fan I would release Buck and use that money to hire a qualified QB coach to teach our present guys the finer points of their game. Elliott gets the offensive start twice but goes AWOL around the goal line. With an improved line and a bit more patience he might lick that problem. The most important job and he was coached by a rookie offensive coach.
Just saying.

...Anyone believing Buck can be the starter and give this team any type of credibility in 2013 are dreaming in high definition... The majority of fans will be very suspect of management if they go down that road and I don't believe they want to be put in that position....Buck really has NO choice...He'll have to accept the position given to him (could be back-up/coach or I believe he'll be released)...Like pigseye says, where's he going to go...I know that stand by the team will be looked on as harsh BUT this is also a business...You put this team in the BEST position to win...Bucks also a team player and if it meant him coming off the bench when needed, I don't see a problem at all...Up to him though...The writing is on the wall...Time to put on the good specs. and read it.. :wink:

Winnipeg needs to sign the best backup FA QB next year, and hope it works out. Don't know if they are a FA next year, but Reilly from BC and Willy from the Riders are the best bet in that regard.

I think if the Bombers sign Quinton Porter, that would be a lateral move. In my opinion, as a Ticat fan who has seen Porter play, Elliott is just as good if not better than Porter. Meaning Elliott is hot and cold...not good enough.

But by the same token, how do you know that Reilly and Willy aren’t hot and cold and therefore not good enough either? They’ve hardly played, so it’s a crapshoot really.

I agree Buck Pierce will be a pretty hot comododity as a back up QB somewhere but not in Winnipeg wher him sitting at #2 will be a distraction. The two QBs they have been grooming Brink and Elliot now have a lot of game experience but it was under some very terrible conditions with everyting in Winnipeg being in disaray this season.
There really is no for sure lock QBs out there as I mentioned before giving Elliot and Brink a chance to be the solid #1 and #2 would be best for the Bombers. With the exception of Glenn and even Joseph the few experienced back ups have shown very little if anything this year. Brink and Elliot were groomed in Winnipeg to take over for Pierce so goin off that plan would not be wise as they have both shown some very good things this season under some very crazy circumstances. Elliot has twice been Offensive player of the week. I would think that that should at least give him a shot to be the starter. Brink has shown the Ability to come off the bench and do some different things at his point i would think that a normal situation would be best for the BBs.
1 Elliot
2 Brink Brink will at least have the confort to know that yes he is the number 2 and yes if somehting should happen or Elliot is not getting done that he is next in line. no more 2 and 2a. Established roles with the number 2 Brink doing his job and ready to step in as the number 1 under whatever circumstances brings that along

Any coach worth his salt is going to realize what he has to work with and what to expect. Doesn't matter if they sign Reilly or Willy in free agency. Expecting any of those guys to come out and go toe to toe throwing the ball with the likes of Calvillo, Burris, Ray etc. is just plain nuts. The Bombers have to play to their strengths on offence, run the ball and ask the QB to manage the game, not throw multiple red zone picks. It's as simple as that, play within yourself and hope you have great defense and special teams play. It's always been that way in football and always will.

If Brink comes out and has a quality start vs Montreal, I would not bring back Elliott personally. I don't agree with CFLsteve, those two guys have been 2a and 2b for so long going back and forth that IMO having both back keeps things in flux. If Elliott comes back next year and is the bona fide starter he'll still be looking over his shoulder. If he struggles they won't hesitate to pull him in favour of Buck or Brink. When you consider his struggles putting the offense into the endzone and his picks he won't be given much leeway as a starter next year to work his way through things if he continues with the same issues and there is an experienced back up. I think a decision needs to be made between the two, keep one and let the other one go find another opportunity. Anyways, its a moot point until a decision is made on Mack. Mack cleaned house at QB when he came in, if he's replaced then another GM may do the same, so we'll see what the board decides on Mack over the next few weeks.

Not even close to that big of a let down!! With the talent we lost,did not replace and start four on the road. This is exactley where we were going to end up. Not a letdown , just frustrating nothing was done to try and save the situation. Don’t worry, the Bombers crushing the Als 58 2 with Faragamo throwing 7 pics is still fresh in my mind. :lol:

That is a great point, one that I did not take into consideration. Not only having Pierce back being a distraction I did not think about the distraction of having both Brink and Elliot back.
At this point it does appear that they are leaning towards Elliot as the starter over Brink and based on him being offensive player of the week this year twice would have to agree with them. That leads to the question of who they would bring in to be his back up. Pickings are kind of slim when it comes to that as many of the young number 2 QBs will also be looking to be a starter if they are to move. Going with retreads like Jarius Jackson, Steven Jyles have shown that they are not even a good back up QB anymore. I am not sure that taking a chance on Goltz as the number two is a good idea either.
Quinton Porter could be the best available that would be a good fit. From Porter’s point of view he could see this as an oppuritunity that Elliot may not be successful and this would be his best shot at gaining a starting job.
Any opinions on this ?

You can’t put any stock in this last game. The Als will say all the right things, but they will be treating this game as a tune up and trying to get out of the game with zero injuries. They may even play some different coverages an so on to throw off the teams that will be pre scouting them for the east final. I,m sure Goltz will get in the game in the second half against the Als second stringers and probably do well. Then we will have the ’ We should have started Goltz all along and he will be the next Doug Flutie " thread. Let Brink and Elliot battle it out in training camp and hopefully we can get a veteran QB in here , who can contribute next year.

It's going to be a tough game for Brink to try and prove anything. With Simpson & Ford out, the running game will be tough, and I'm sure Montreal will be gunning for Brink. Much like his earlier starts, he's in tough with all the injuries on the team. I wish Alex could have gotten a start in a better scenario. But, you play the hand you are dealt.
AS far as next year, no way do I want to see us trade for any backup on another team. Let Buck move on, or try and trade him to a team as a back up. Let Elliott/Brink/Goltz all fight it out during training camp, but I think it will be time to move on with one of Brink/Elliott after camp.

I get you regarding a trade but are you opposed to acquiring a Porter, Reilly or Mcpherson through free agency ? I'm asking because I'm curious to know if Bomber fans expect Mack or whoever to be pro-active on the free agency market since he has refused to touch it his first two off seasons.

....I hope the Als. aren't 'gunning' for Brink like Davis did in a previous encounter, or Burke will have to have a loooong talk with his ol buddy Trestman...I see this game as nothing more than a pre-season tilt...You go out there with the intention of winning but in the end....meh... It's just a tune-up for the Als. (and we all get to appraise Mr. McPhersons' talent) and we'll get a looksee at some of our 'hidden' talent...I have to say a win on our part would do nothing but possibly knock us out of the first-overall pick in the 2013 draft (if the cats lose)...So is a win in the best long-term interest of the club (how about a tie)...You be the judge...We should NOT be in this bloody position...but it is what is.. :roll: :roll:

…he says he’ll be more active in fa…BUT will he be here??? :lol:

I don’t think any of those FA QB’s have any more potential than what we currently have. We need to finally develop our own QB, not someone else’s retreads.
But, I for sure would like to see some additions in other areas (Oline)

We aren’t the Oilers. I could care less about the draft right now. I want a win, and every player on that team better feel that way too. As far as McPherson, if we make him look like a star I might just smash my remote. Again. I want to see our Dline get after him hard too.