Bubble or cage in hockey, what do or did you use playing hockey?

Interesting discussion here from a couple players on the Canada World Junior tourney about this. I wore a full cage after receiving 5 stitches just above my eye in grade 12 playing high school hockey back when it wasn't mandatory, took me a few weeks to get used to it but was never a problem for the many years I played hockey afterwards. I think all the junior players should wear a full face shield to be honest. The doc stitching me up in the ER told me flat out "buddy, wear a face shield, you aren't going to make it to the NHL". Best advice I received. I got ridiculed playing old-timer hockey by guys would thought it was sissy to wear a full gage but I didn't care what they thought to be honest.

BUBBLE OR CAGE?

As the two players under the age of 18, Connor Bedard and Shane Wright will have to wear a full face shield at the World Juniors.

Bedard, 16, has opted for a clear plastic shield, while Wright is wearing the traditional cage.

“I’ve worn the cage my entire life, it’s just something I’ve gotten used to,” Wright said. “I’ve never worn the bubble in my life, I’m just comfortable with the cage.”

There are pros and cons to both the bubble and cage. The bubble can fog up, while with the cage players are looking through metal spokes.

At some point, every player on Team Canada had to decide what full face shield they would wear going through minor hockey.

“I kind of like the bubble, I’m not going to lie,” said defenceman Ronan Seeley. “It looks good, it looks clean.”

Most players grow up with the cage and then make the switch to the bubble. Others stick with the cage until they go to a visor.

“I wore a bubble when I was 15 in midget, our whole team did,” Neighbours said. “I’m a fan of the bubble, but I think it depends on the helmet you’re wearing and the style of the player you are. Wright wears the cage well, Connor wears the bubble well, it’s hard to say, but I would probably wear the bubble.

1 Like