Brunt Likes Bellefeuille Hiring

I think we will see the NFL do something favourable for the CFL if Toronto does end up with an NFL team. What exactly this favour is, I don't know but just what I think. The last thing the NFL wants to do is alienate CFL fans who also like the NFL.

Good Call

This year we score more when he was OC. Was leading the league until running back went down. Started Porter excellent choice. Total 7 games loss by 27 points combine. Think with the right DC, Special teams and O Line we will win 8 or 9 games next year.

I think I know where Brunt's loyalties are:

http://www.argos-suck.com/images/celebs/celebs/images/brunt.jpg

I'm one of those who think that the NFL setting up shop in Canada permanently, presumably in Toronto, will kill the CFL as we know it, probably sooner rather than later. I would hate to see this happen, but I have little doubt it would.

A Canadian NFL team would draw off the best and most lucrative corporate advertising and sponsorship budgets, both those that are national in scope and those that are centred in Toronto, Canada's biggest city. It would also damage attendance at Argo games severely. These events in turn would reduce the interest of TSN or any other TV network in paying large sums for CFL broadcast rights. With reduced attendance, reduced TV broadcast fees, and a smaller league, eventually-- and I'm guessing within three years-- the Argos would fold. Hamilton would fold within a short period (Bob Young may not know much about football, but he is a sharp businessman and can count), Ottawa would not return to the league, and Montreal would drop out too. This would leave the CFL as a Western semi-pro loop, which may or may not be viable-- probably not, unless there is a substantial untapped demand for industrial league football out there.

This is a prediction of course, no more, but I think it represents the likely scenario should the NFL come to Toronto.

Another option would be for the CFL to become "NFL Canada", a farm team system that is controlled by the NFL. But in that case, the NFL with its American coaches and players would have no interest at all in continuing with a "funny football" brand involving three downs, 12 players, a big field, rouges, etc. So Canadian universities would drop the rules too-- keeping them would be pointless. That would be the end of Canadian football.

In either of these scenarios, it will be time for me to start following rugby instead. Go Springboks!

No, I really don't think the NFL will allow it's image to be tarnished like that. Not saying they won't set up shop in TO, I agree they want to even if they might have said otherwise. Times are tough out there and if Rogers/MLSE is throwing money big time, better than others, at the NFL, they will jump at it like anyone with a brain would. But there will be a bone to the CFL in some way to help make up for lost revenues which I agree will happen as you say. The CFL could potentially come out stronger. With the same rules? I don't know, difficult questions there. Interesting times ahead.

But universities are academic institutions that might not follow ship, they know the history of football in this country and study it. What are potential players in this country going to do? It's not like all the high schoolers get US scholarships anyways, if they want to play college ball, they will play with whatever rules. I don't think there will be much pressure on them to change unless the CFL stays in business with US rules, if it's out of business and the universities don't receive any NFL monies, why would they care to change?

Walmart doesn't worry about it's image being tarnished in Canada
and neither will the NFL if their Toronto experiment succeeds, Earl.

We can't go back to the future.

Pete Rozelle doesn't run the NFL anymore.