Brown to make first start for Bombers in matchup with Lions

VANCOUVER — The BC Lions will host the Winnipeg Blue Bombers as they continue to battle for playoff positioning in the West Division standings.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2022/10/15/brown-to-make-first-start-for-bombers-in-matchup-with-lions/

"Brown to make first start for Bombers in matchup with Lions"

Hot breaking news! (that we read 3 days ago on 3Down)

2 Likes

Great Scott PorkyPine! Do you know what this means?!

We're going Back to The Present!!!

GreatScott

4 Likes

Dru looked good last night. A couple of costly mistakes that he'll learn from but an overall great performance.
As bad as the pick-sixes were, the field position afforded BC by Williams was probably the difference in the game. Surprised that the Bomber's coverage allowed that many yards. One or two good returns in a game might be expected but not on most touches.

2 Likes

Expect the unexpected when an otherwise solid team goes into 'pre-season mode'. For our next pre-season game against BC we're planning rest every other player and punt on first downs.

1 Like

I submit that all the backups and support staff should rotate through all the positions. I see Liegghio as the starting middle linebacker and the waterboy in at QB.
But no punting on first downs. Field goal attempts only. Potential for record setting field goal length.

1 Like

I'll second your motion and stipulate that in addition to the waterboys, the cheerleaders should be asked to rotate into different positions as well... I will be my usual helpful self and provide the dancing pole. :smiley: :+1:

1 Like

I will be my usual helpful self and be the dancing pole, it's the least I can do.

2 Likes

:smiley:

2 Likes

It's a lot harder for fans to spot changes on special teams. They don't publish depth charts for them.

1 Like

I'll supply the dance music in support of the dancing pole. I'm thinking Bob Seger's, "Like a Rock".

1 Like

Bob Segar's, "Like a Rock" sung to the classic "Boink Chicka Boink" tune we hear in those old 1980's Swedish Erotica Films would work perfectly. :smiley: :+1:

1 Like

Brown looked way better this year then Maguire did last. it does seem that Dru has a bit weaker arm when attempting the long ball.

2 Likes

Definitely all is not lost this year if Collaros goes down. Brown outplayed Adams by a wide margin last night. Now if he can just fix the pick sixes.

5 Likes

Agreed.
However, if you read the recap on CFL.CA, the writer believes Adams had a strong game throwing for 138 yards and 1 TD. The BC DBs had more yards on their picks! :confused:

Meanwhile, Dru Brown merely threw for 303 yards and 3 TDs in his first start. Guess the writer expected more.

He did all that while remaining composed, throwing the ball on the run and from different arm angles and running when necessary. All that working behind an O-line that had 2 guys in positions they started the year at. I thought they all played really well. Would like to see him behind the regular O-line. No worries with Dru Brown.

4 Likes

Agreed, he & I seem to have different opinions of a strong game. 138 yards? Yikes.

4 Likes

Oh how I miss the good old days watching Swedish Erotica Films on a Satuday night with my bag of cheezies. Almost as good as the Bavarian Erotica....hey....I think they had a dancing pole in one those films.

1 Like

Throwing 2 more pick-sixes than the other guy wouldn't be outplaying your counterpart by a wide margin in my mind, but I get what you mean. It was a good showing by Brown and those pick-sixes will only serve him later with experience. Rourke threw a pick-six in his second start - or game - last season against the Bombers if I'm remembering correctly, and nobody cares about that now. A good first start and lots of good things with Brown to build on.

2 Likes

True what you say but the Lions have to be concerned about their offence. If not for the pick sixes they would have lost, not to mention their special team returns and the fact that Liegghio was out kicked. And Adams only threw for 138 yards against a secondary full of second and third stringers with one walk on. I would be very concerned if Rourke can’t come back if I was a Lion’s fan.

2 Likes

Yes, but circumstances would have been different without the interceptions that resulted in TDs. We can't say they would have lost, we can only say things would have turned out different, with perhaps the same result or maybe not. While there are concerns, and probably always will be with the offense, the Lions are seemingly improving their running game which that makes me happy. The Lions still played against a good defense last night, and yes, maybe not the best that the Bombers could have fielded. My concern is can the Lions elevate their game when the Bombers do field their best? It's always a work in progress.

2 Likes