Bring Mike Vick to the CFL

What trash??
I think you guys forget that he was convicted of "pit bull dog fighting"!! I will say it again..........
"PIT BULLS ARE NOT PETS" this is a breed of dog that was BRED to FIGHT. You can't make pets out of these things, oh sure you know someone that has a pet Pit and its gentle blah blah. ... They were originally bred to be fighters! We are talking about a horrible nasty inbred animal.

He should have been fined for letting this happen on his property but that's it, his sentence was way over the top.

Pit bulls are unpredictable! Oh sure, tell me about the kind gentle one...untill you read about it turning on some young child and tearing it's face off!

Get Real People...they are dangerous and would someone like to explain to me why they need to have one? :roll: You want gentle and friendly...choose another breed!

I believe in second chances. don't get me wrong.

This guy is an avg QB. He has never thrown for more than 3,000 yards and 20 TDs in a season. He completes just less than 54% of his passes.

He can run but this sorta reminds me of Casey Printers.

There is a thread about this topic on the main CFL board.

I know lots of pitbulls that are completely fine, and ive never seen an aggressive ‘unpredictable’ one, even ones that were raised by some shaddy people i knew.

My advice to people who fear pitbulls is to STOP watching the news, in fact that is my advice to everyone because clearly you allow the news to use their negativity and fear filled broadcasts to dictate how you live your lives.

So are poodles, Jack Russells, beagles and the list goes on and on. Should he be allowed to viciously murder those dogs too, or just pitbulls? There is no breed or other animal or any human for that matter who cannot be unpredictable. Rottweilers, Canary dogs and other large dogs can do just as much damage as a pitbull. A malamute husky “tore” my face off when I was a child and I don’t think they should all be killed.

Jaybird, you are WRONG. They can be made into pets and have been. The owner and training (or lack thereof) is the reason a dog becomes agressive and any breed is susceptible to that. Would you have this “he’s no criminal” attitude if it was another breed of dog?

The bottom line for me is that Vick is a sick piece of crap and I find him repulsive and wouldn’t spend a dime to see him play. I’d change the channel if he played on TV.

I couldnt agree with you more. People need to stop watching idiotic sensationalist news reports. If they did an investigation in to pit bulls and said they were fine, nobody would watch so they put out none sense so people tune in. I recantly bought my wife a lil boxer puppy for our one year wedding anniversary. While reading up on the breed, i found out that they are banned in certain jurisdictions in north america because they are assosiated with pit bulls. When i read that i almost fell over laughing. my dog licks to death perfect strangers on the street or people that come in to my house with out knocking.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS STUPID OR AGGRESSIVE DOGS, JUST STUPID OWNERS!!!

Well the one thing we can agree on, I think, is that jaybird is wrong.

This idea that since he committed the crime in the USA he isn't a criminal in Canada has to be one of the most nonsensical posts of 2009 so far. By his reasoning Wayne Gacy and any other serial killer from the USA should be allowed in to Canada.

http://www.vickdogchewtoy.com/

^^^^ the disclaimer at the end is too funny..

Whether pit bulls are good pets completely misses the point. Cock fighting and bull fights are just as wrong. Its cruel treatment to animals and shows a serious character flaw to the supporters of these fights.

BTW pitbulls are always a terrible choice as a pet and anyone who says otherwise really doesn't understand the nature of the breed. They simply cannot be trusted and should they snap the consequences are brutal.

Vick is a criminal and what he did was horrific, if he comes across the border the CFL's credibility would diminish.

I agree, that the issue isn’t really about whether they make good pets. I think this issue came up to provide counter examples to the argument that pitbulls somehow were deserving of this treatment because they were vicious monsters, so why should poor little Mike Vick be treated so harshly. It is wrong to treat ANY animal the way animals that are used in fight events are treated, just so imbeciles can make money betting on the outcome. That is the issue, here.

I think most pitbull breeds are ugly (sorry to pitbull owners) and I wouldn’t own one, and while they do have the potential for vicious attacks, that nature is further nurtured (ironic sense of the word) by dog fighting rings. Anyone who thinks that dog fighting or cock fighting is illegal simply because it is gambling is missing the point. It’s illegal because it’s cruel.

I agree, and I couldn’t have said it any better

I would lose a lot of respect for the CFL (…specifically the club that signed him) if he was allowed to play here. I dunno, talent is one thing, but there’s also a PR issue when you find guys that have not only participated in, but orchestrated some very inhumane, heinous activities.

Can’t say I’m the biggest dog lover on the planet, but anyone who cruelly exploits animals the way he and his pals did shouldn’t be welcome anywhere.

Perhaps if he was sentenced to a year or two of weekly face-offs with other pitbulls in a dog pit, I might say that he’s adequately done his restitution

Hey Borehamgirl – I respect those pitbull owners who do create a loving environment and train their dogs to be gentle…especially around kids.

The only issue I have with the breed is their strength. The muscle mass and jaw strength of a pitbull is far greater than almost any other dog. So, my only concern is that if a good dog has a bad day it might be awfully difficult to intervene.

And that’s not to say that any larger dog wouldn’t fall into that category.

My other concern is, given the pitbull’s well known proficiency in a fighting ring – there are immature, cowardly people out there who are drawn to them because of their ability to intimidate.

So…I’m kind of on the fence on this one. I definitely don’t paint the entire breed with the same brush (or, more specifically, their owners), but I do feel there is a higher risk of danger with certain breeds.

(And, as a wee lad, I had a little mutt that was a damn smart dog and a good pet…so, I don’t like the ‘fashion’ factor that some like to associate with dog breeds.)

Sorry, that Dawg don't fly...

I have no issue with your concerns. I have those same concerns over any breed (especially big and strong ones) and would not “trust” any dog alone with my kids whether it is my dog or a friend’s dog or a stranger’s dog. The dog who attacked me when I was 2 was a loving husky who adored everyone. Any animal can turn on you in a flash and give absolutely no indication of what’s coming. My issue is with those who think it’s ok and that Vick did nothing wrong because the torture he inflicted was only done to pitbulls. Pet owner’s have a responsiblity to do everything in their power to train their pets and keep them in control (such as using a muzzle when necessary) whenever possible. It is the ignorant and negligent people who train their dogs to fight and attack that cause the problems. Take for example the Rottweiler in the US who was owned by a white supremacist who viciously attacked and killed a woman who lived down the hall. No provocation, no warning. Why? Because the scumbag who owned him trained him to be agressive.

There are no guarantees with any animal (and frankly a lot of people) that they aren’t going to “go off” and hurt or kill someone. What Vick did is wrong and I have no faith in the idea that his is rehabilitated or that he has changed his thought process. I believe that if he was guaranteed he wouldn’t be caught, he would do it all over again. Bottom line is he broke the law and we don’t need any more criminals here.

Yeah, that’s just an ignorant immature point of view…barely worth bothering with.
Overall, I just think we have to give animals more respect. Even keeping them as pets stretches this a bit-- but understanding that they are out of their element, no matter how domesticated they may seem.

That is Exactly my point! Why would anyone want one as a pet? Seems to me that whenever I see a pitbull it is with someone who has a grudge against society! Usually unlicensed and not well behaved!

For the most part, we live in a civilized city. Bringing Mr. Vick to the CFL in any way would be wrong. He may have served his “time”, however, Hamilton has always had a stong association with kids in our community, and although it was “pitbulls” they are still a a living thing and what he was involved in was brutal to any animal. He would be a poor example to our kids and to the community.
It’s time for these prima donna NFL’ers to stay put, they screwed up their chance in the NFL by their actions and the CFL should not be a dumping ground for the cast offs NO MATTER HOW talented they are.
And just for the record I have disliked when other players have come up from the NFL because their drug failures banned them from playing in the NFL.