Bring in Swayze Waters

As summer turns to fall and the calm of THF turns to blustery autumn afternoons and evenings...I have to think of how well Swayze Waters punted the crap out of the pigskin at THF.

I think he at least deserves a look. Perhaps to unseat Maher or to light a little fire under his butt.

I tweeted as much the other day, with Waters' verified account "liking" the post...a la Steven Stamkos...lol

Thoughts?

Maher with 4 blocked punts and missed field goals lately, certainly has not been helping his case. :?

4 blocked punts that were missed assignments and a couple of field goals with a new holder and at least one high snap screwing up timing. And windy, raining conditions.
Man people are quick to criticize. This guy's been good all season.

Maher has been good but Waters is one of the best I've seen in along time.

So how much more would it cost to get Swayze? Is it worth a huge salary cap hit. We didn't go after Medlock so why Waters now?

Agreed. We desperately need some competent DB's and should be looking and spending what money we have left in the bank account there ,not on a kicker who would be on a par at least money wise with the one we didn't sign in Medlock in the first place.

Very true. :frowning:

Since Waters isn't in the league this season, let's compare Maher's performance, so far, to Medlock's:
Maher's Kickoffs are 9 yds. deeper, on average. His punts are 3.3 yds. longer, on average. His success on field goals is 83.3% compared to Medlock's 85.4% and his longest successful field goal @ 56 yds. is 2 yds. shorter than Medlock's longest. Maher has made 5 of 50 yds. or more, while Medlock has made 3. The differences in their performance, this year, I'm sure are very minor compared to the difference in the amounts on their pay cheques.

Agreed, Maher has been a good kicker/punter and a good player for the team.

We need better blocking on special teams to protect our punter no doubt but Brett Maher is a keeper!!

GO CATS GO!!!

Agreed, Maher has been a good kicker/punter and a good player for the team.

We need better blocking on special teams to protect our punter no doubt but Brett Maher is a keeper!!

GO CATS GO!!!

Kicker is the least of our problems this year.

Sleaze Waters the XBoatman would be more money and wouldn't be any better than Maher, maybe not as good. :cowboy:

Except...he takes forever to get rid of the ball while punting.

My thought on starting this thread, was Waters' mastery of punting at THF over the last two seasons in the blustery fall weather.

Personally, I'd take Waters over Maher.

Kickers are worth good money, not Medlock money...but good money.

According to Marshall Ferguson on TSN (either in an interview on Ticats at Noon or his own show with Jim Tatti) Maher's time between receiving the ball and getting it away when punting has decreased so the blocked punts can't be blamed on him!
Not sure what makes you think that Waters would be less expensive than Medlock and he certainly won't be less money than what the team already has which is a kicker very comparable to the high priced Medlock.

It can't hurt to bring Waters in, after all "better is better". :wink:

Pat Lynch(the old guy)

It certainly does when the team's either near, or AT, the salary cap...

What's the worst that could happen if you exceed the salary cap? The Als and the Riders have done it for years. You might lose a mid or late round draft pick and pay a financial penalty but if it gets you to the Grey Cup, isn't it worth it?
If Waters is better than Maher, sign him. :smiley:

Pat Lynch (the old guy)

I'm impressed with Maher's power and range, He'll work out the bugs and should be one of the best. Changing the holders for a kicker can unhinge even some of the best kickers give this guy more time :thup: :cowboy:

Waters went to the same "School of Injuries" as Ray and Willy.

8) You forgot to add Johnny Sears Jr. to that list !!! :wink: