breaking news,copps reno!

Wallace,

I would think they would want to derive revenue from naming rights. Perhaps allocating a section of the updated arena for pictures of/information about Copps and the Hamilton Forum would be a nice compromise to changing the name. If the intent is to have others from the Golden Horshoe be a part of this experience, and to visit the stadium regulary, it might be a nice introduction to/reminder of hockey history in Hamilton. I realize ours is not as rich a history as Montreal or Toronto. But it is ours nonetheless. I for one wouldn't mind, for instance, seeing a picture of that final goal from the '87 Canada Cup.

I agree. I enjoy some of the non-football-related discussions.

The video report by Al Sweeney on CHCH-TV tonight noted that the artist's rendering of the renovated arena only displays the word "Coliseum" on the front. Anchor person Nick Dixon later reported that Sheila Copps was asked whether her family would be bothered by the exclusion of former Hamilton mayor Victor Copps' name on the arena and her reply was that he would have been so happy to see NHL hockey in Hamilton that he would have done whatever it takes to get it here (i.e. even if his name had to be excluded from the arena title). No doubt Jim Balsillie and the City of Hamilton will try to sell naming rights but there is certain to be some commemoration of Victor Copps somewhere on, in or outside the arena.

I see the RIM Arena as name the could be up Or Blackberry Arena

Blackberry Place at Copps Coliseum

I don't get it! Balsille wants to put in $5M? and the taxpayers of the city, this Province and the federal government to put in $150m plus???

Scotia Bank Place in Ottawa - built entirely with Private money and owned by a Private businessman in fact the hockey team(owners) had to pay $10 Million for an interchange off the 417 Hwy!!.
Air Canada Place - privately owned facility and team. Same for the Canadiens!

No let him finance the whole thing.

Lets get back to football!!

Uhmm.. the CITY owns the building, spending this money is like an investment, it will create spin off taxes and city revenue, create jobs, both part time and full time.......THAT is why all 3 levels of government are willing to pony up...

Uhmm.. the CITY owns the building, spending this money is like an investment, it will create spin off taxes and city revenue, create jobs, both part time and full time.......THAT is why all 3 levels of government are willing to pony up...

PS football... is on the other side of this thread!

sports work together in the city.The new works worth 150 million to fix copps coliseum is more about this city and its image then just hockey! If this citys image would grow this team will surely grow from it as well!

Would that be Copps Coliseum at Blackberry Place? :wink: Usually the formula is "facility AT space."

Oski Wee Wee,

I completely agree with everything in this post.

Hockey, where "going hard to the net" is considered sophisticated strategy and Don Cherry loved by all from coast to coast...

Really? So, you agree that anyone and everyone associated with hockey is "white trash"? Bet Jordin Tootoo would call you on that one.

As someone who's played/ participated in the sport for as long as I can remember, do take offence to it. And considering it's one of our national sports and by far the most watched sport on the tube, you've taken a shot at a pretty big number of Canadians.

I think 'white trash' refers to the fact in the past many hockey players dropped out of high school and many became rink rats to play hockey, get to junior and maybe the NHL while football was and still is a university sport. And most were in the past from tradition Canadian backgrounds, white families.

More an expression than anything to describe the culture of what hockey has been back in the past.

I guess...but, the argument falls pretty flat when you see what passes for education when it comes to elite players in U.S college. The bottom line is that a lot more ethnicities and nationalities are playing hockey than football. And, if you want to go a step further, the skin pigmentations vary an awful lot more on the ice versus the gridiron too. (For reference, see Richard Park, Jim Paek, Mike Grier, Jon Cheechoo, Jordin Tootoo, Chris Simon, Akim Aliu and coming soon, Nazim Khadri.)

Dumb argument as a result of a dumb comment.

slo, agree. I wasn't trying to argue that labelling hockey as "white trash" was a perfect phrase with perfect etiquette, not at all. I certainly would never use this phrase, I played hockey much of my life and I don't consider myself "white trash" in any respect (even though with 3 university degrees I long to make what GM assembly line workers make but that is a different story and my problem and not relevant to this discussion at all :wink: )