BREAKING NEWS - Blue Bombers sold to ASPER-new stadium done

Bravo! Kudos to all involved. This looks like a fantastic project, and that stadium looks excellent. Hurray for Winnipeg and the U of M!

...this is all very good news...and I don't want to be a doubting thomas here....but....it is the third condition, or phase as Mr. Asper called it, that made me raise an eyebrow, that being the leasing and development of a retail centre on the current stadium site to fully fund the construction of the new stadium...

...now before you say 'ah r&w you're full of sour grapes', please note, I don't make a lot of money (o.k., none) as a CFL.ca moderator, and even less as a Stampeder fan....but I do make a lot of money and have spent a considerable period of my life as a development/construstion manager, so I know what I'm yakking about here m'kay...

...given the state of the retail economy in Canada, heck North America, right now leasing large scale retail developments is not easy, damn near impossible, especially on projects that are not at some level in the field, underway, almost complete....lease rates are plummetting and many projects are stalled as a result....there's also a little problem with an existing stadium in the way that apparently no one has accepted responsibility of demolishing....

...this new stadium is not a 'done deal' as many of you have touted....as Mr. Asper himself said 'while today is an important day there is that one more step to take'...it is a very big step to be blunt....

....I hate to rain on the parade, especially for those die-hard BB fans who have suffered with an outdated stadium for so long, just trying to be truthful though....maybe Asper proves me wrong and gets his tenants signed by this fall, I'd love to eat crow on this and see Winnipeg get the stadium they deserve...

RedandWhite you do raise a good question but one thing about Manitoba right now is that the state of the economy is having no effect on Manitoba at all. As the world is laying off employees , Manitoba is still begging for more workers. Inspite of the world downturn, Manitoba's economy continues to grow. Thats right Manitoba is Booming right now.
We have massive construction projects going on all over the place, from new multi billion dollar hydro projects to new buildings going up. I too work in the construction industry I worked steady all winter and keep getting overtime handed to me.
As far as Asper conmercial project on the old stadium site, I too can see that generated a good share of income for the bombers.
One thing I can say is that there is that there is still alot of new shopping complexes going up (as in block stores) so there is still a big demand for new complexes going up. And the old stadium site is a top notch location to have.
Regardless, I am happy to see this project going ahead.

Great news! I was less than impressed when I was at the Grey Cup with the stadium. It looked a little (a lot) run down and needed work.

Great news. Hopefully this gets the ball rolling on getting more football stadium improvements (or construction) across Canada .... and hopefully this catches the city of Ottawa's eye and shows them that there IS good reason to go ahead with Lansdowne Live.

…you make no money as a moderator, and even less as a Stampeder fan…does that mean they pay you to watch the Stamps? :stuck_out_tongue:

....for RedW.....While there is no oil in the ground here..(well maybe a little around Virden)...the province is doing quite well under its NDP govt......Securing tenants for the new retail space shouldn't be a problem for Asper under his Creswin banner...There's probably people lined-up.....I believe IKEA is currently building a new store in the Peg at present...don't know if they've secured a spot yet but possibly.....In any event Asper will be taking over the ownership next year....and the new stadium will be a reality.....Take that to the bank.... :wink: :rockin:

there must be some reason why anyone would watch the Stamps…

IKEA ususally needs to see a market of 1,000,000 before it’ll build a store. That was why the deal for the old superstore building in Regina fell through. I don’t think Winnipeg is at that level yet, are they?

The Manitobans quickly point out that there is no economic downturn in Manitoba. But it goes beyond that. During an economic downturn is exactly when one should be looking forward and planning for the inevitable upturn in the economy.

That’s right, IKEA just announced a massive retail development in SW Winnipeg, like Saskatchewan, Manitoba has experienced almost no effects of the recession. You’ve been living in the land of ‘boom & bust’ far too long my friend (red&white).

The Polo Park retail site is the most sought after in all of Winnipeg, this is a plum for Asper.

...well, like I said, if Asper has 'em lined up out the door as you all feel he does then power to him...

Who would have though in this economic meltdown, Manitoba and Saskatchewan are booming.
Like I have said, Regina should use this opportunity and with the Riders selling out to build a new spanking 35,000-40,000
domed stadium.

I think it would be ideal for the Peggers to build the new stadium for 30k, build the demand and then expand it later. If this project actually goes through, I'll definitely make my first trip out to a game in Winnipeg. I already attend games in an old stadium, no point in me travelling to another one :wink: