Brandon Banks will retire if no season this year

I just saw on CHCH morning live that Brandon Banks tweeted that he will retire if there is no CFL season this year. Something needs to be done to ensure a 2021 season.

Like what?
Nothing is happening until the provinces allow fans in the stands.
When will they allow fans in the stands? 50% vaccinated? 80%, right now no one knows and the CFL can't do a thing about it.
Only chance would be a rich owner like MLSE to fund the season with no fans in the stands.

1 Like

I don't blame him. He's 33 years old. I am sure they will lose 80% of American players if they don't play this year. The whole league would have to do a pretty much whole reset in terms of most players and staff and coaches. Maybe financially it makes sense , restart the league with a lower salary cap expect crowds of about 10,000 as the new norm similar to the newer Soccer league Bob Young helped start out. I sure hope not, but it doesn't sound as crazy as it might have sounded a few months ago.
This is why I wish the owners would come out as a collective and say they are willing to play "x" amount of games with no fans to start and they are willing to lose "X" amount of dollars for 2021. It would put an end to all the speculation and rumors. Maybe the owners can't make that kind of announcement until closer to the summer when they have a better idea of how things are going to run. Either way, all these speculative articles in the media and public player frustration does not look good for anyone.

1 Like

Unless little Pierre in Ottawa is lying they can do a fall season with the whole country vacinated

1 Like

I think the Big Lie happened elsewhere . Good try, though .

Pat Lynch (the old guy)

4 Likes

I'm hoping he's being honest aren't you

They haven't even started the next group in line, the over 80s.
Fans in stands this year? good luck.
Just hoping that they can get funding/loan from somewhere to play with no fans in the stands.

2 Likes

Wasn't Banks doing this same shit last year? Go away already. He makes it sound like the league is dependent upon him playing. Take your 90%, (Which would actually probably be more like 10 %) and go. There are thousands of you out there to replace yourself with. Go retire and use your degree that you got for free to become a professional football player. The league will be what it becomes with or without you.

1 Like

He’s not lying...and having vaccines delivered has not translated into “shots in the arms “ by the provinces yet. Stop the attacking BS. You’re not a fan..we get it!

3 Likes

His post is not lying or attacking. Trudeau's honesty and accuracy are rightly questioned .

2 Likes

honesty and accuracy are two different things. I believe he says what he believes but is not always accurate, like most of us.

3 Likes

If you read the rest of his Twitter posts that day, he admits he needs to word things better and he has a bad habit of tweeting what he's thinking. He also says he was reacting to the article from the Edmonton insider that said a season was not plausible. He also says that 90% of the players in the league that he is in contact with have said the same thing to him privately, and he is just saying what everyone is thinking. Should he keep these kind of thoughts to himself? Probably. Is he giving the league a threat or ultimatum? I don't think so. It's just the reality of the situation. I think the league's MOP has a right to say what he is going to do.

1 Like

Except he can't do that! He can retire, but he can't play somewhere else

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

1 Like

I agree 100%.

No but if the league does not play any games this year, he can ask for, and likely would be granted his release from his one-year contract which expires in February 2022 anyway. I say likely, because they treat their players fairly and if he won't play any CFL games this year the only reason they wouldn't release him is if they were being vindictive - which is not their culture.

1 Like

I'd say the CFL (the league that is, not the players) is kind of lucky there is no viable pro spring league this year.

1 Like

Is there anything that actually prevents another football league outside of this country from signing a player that is currently under contract with the CFL?

I've heard the NFL, under their CBA, won't allow it. But anyone else?

Now, in soccer, where all transfers theoretically have to go through and be registered FIFA (between valid leagues), you would not be able to sign someone that is under contract in another league.

But I don't know that there's anything to stop the same thing from happening in football.

RIght, but then he does not have to retire