Bonuses could affect dispersal draft

April 11, 2006

QB Kerry Joseph is expected
to go top three.

By Eric Tillman, Sportsnet Football Insider

With the clock ticking on Wednesday's 4 p.m. ET Ottawa dispersal draft, many CFL teams have had their thought processes altered signficantly based on an internal financial memo distributed to the remaining eight clubs. Sportsnet Football Insider Eric Tillman has secured a copy of the confidential document, in which the league members are informed of the specifics of the contractual responsibilities of each of the estimated 70 players eligible to be drafted.

In addition to the fact that several key players have sizeable bonuses due on April 15, the league is also requiring that teams repay Ottawa owner Bernie Glieberman any signing bonuses for players that the former club compensated earlier in 2006. That collective figure, which is in excess of $250,000, could significantly effect the anticipated draft statuses of many of the premier talents available.

This spring Renegades team president Lonie Gliberman and general manager Forrest Gregg took a radically different approach to contractual negotiations, offering players four-and five-year deals with sizeable signing bonuses. The thought process was to seek long-term player continuity as well as to "frontload" contracts in a year where the new salary cap has no punitive components.

The fact now that those player bonuses must be repaid by any club who chooses any of the players who fall in that category will factor significantly into where players are selected and possibly even preclude some from being drafted at all.

Kerry Joseph, the highly coveted quarterback expected to be among the first three players selected, has already received a $50,000 bonus with another $25,000 due this weekend. Joseph's total compensation in 2006 will be $350,000. Other players who were expected to be taken quickly, and who also have significant bonus clauses, include:

• Korey Banks, defensive back, $50,000 paid, $50,000 due this weekend and another $20,000 due in June. In addition, the all-star has a 2006 base salary of $70,000.
  • Kyries Hebert, linebacker, $40,000 paid and $25,000 due this weekend. His base for 2006 is $75,000.
  • Yo Murphy, wide receiver, $25,000 paid with a base of $60,000.

A myriad of others -- including punter Pat Fleming, defensive backs Dave Donaldson, Bo Rogers and DaShawn Austin, and linebacker Jason Kralt -- all have received bonuses in the $10,000-$15,000 range.

Perhaps the most complicated financial situation, however, revolves around talented playmaker, Jason Armstead, whom it is believed the Hamilton Tiger-Cats are strongly considering as the first overall selection; unless, of course, they trade the choice to Saskatchewan, who openly covets Joseph.

Under the terms of his previous deal, Armstead was scheduled to make $90,000 in 2006, plus incentives, with a $10,000 reporting bonus. The likeable Mississippi native, however, signed a substantial new deal with the Renegades earlier this spring, which it now appears the CFL has rejected due to portions they consider to be outside of league regulations (guaranteed money).

Armstead, who under the new deal was to receive a $100,000 signing bonus in three portions ($33,000 of which has already been paid) is understandably upset. As such, any team who drafts the explosive 26-year-old will be faced with a potential ugly situation, unless they are willing to renegotiate prior to training camp.

In addition to Hebert, Banks and Armstead, other players where six-figure contacts are expected to affect their draft statuses are Canadian offensive lineman Val St. Germain ($140,000), Canadian wide receiver Pat Woodcock ($120,0000), Canadian linebacker Donnavan Carter ($105,000) and American defensive back Crance Clemons ($105,000).

Excuse me!
Repay the former owner for bonuses that was alreay paid!

I dont think so!

no fwonder they went broke..........morons........

The teams that are smart will walk from getting any of these players. Thus forcing the Gleibs to payout the contracts. Then allow the players to sign with any team they wish of course with new contract terms. Otherwise teams that draft may create a headache for themselves next year.

...if these guys did business ...the way that is being exposed now....they should be in the poor house....BUT I guess when you have the silver-spoon you never ever experience a tarnished one...and just go merrily down the road of life with no problems....I'M wondering what the Gliebs. agenda was....break all the teams by following their example with guaranteed contracts.... effectively ending the CFL.. and then set-up an nfl franchise...one has to question the motive of these clowns....too bad Ottawa had to pay for their bull$$it... :!:

MY bet is that they are just too dam stupid to have an agenda. They wanted something to have for Lonie! And we all know how smart Lonie is!
Yep more money then brains.

...good one red....lol lol..

question. The players that don't get picked up, becuase they are too mauch money. what happens to them. do they become free agents? Are they allowed to be signed, I mean I can't see some teams picking up 2 or 3 100,000 + guys, that is just way too money. some of these big namers may be not picked at all. I wonder if some of the teams are talking to agents about restructuring contracts and such.

that is a very good question soupman........Doug Brown who represents the CFLPA has been quite vocal about their lack of involvement in this whole process........it will be interesting to see if the CFLPA has any teeth and tries to help some of these guys out........I suspect, anyone with any talent will end up signed, with a renegotiated contract more in line with the CFL norm.........the league should have voided more of these contracts.......maybe that is part of the reason they let the Gades fold.........

Absolutely Riduclous right there. another blow to Gades fans

sorry ducky.......didnt mean to rub salt in the wound........just speculating......