Bone to Pick with CFL Schedule makers

i'll just say im ever so glad my wife hates sports. we'd of divorced some time ago if I had to watch with her.. lol

So skip the no fun games and tune in the CFL games, I’m glad they play on Sundays in the fall, better to have the CFL to watch than nothing football

My wife grew up in a NFL family Sundays were dedicated to football in her house. I converted her to hockey. She became a Bronco's fan after Manning signed on with them and months later we found out our son was going to be born with the same condition as him (cleft lip and palate.) If there is someone with his condition that he could use as a role model there was noone better than Peyton. Being a Bronco's fan to begin with was icing on the cake.

Why would you want all the games at the same time or on the same day? CFL is great now because I can watch every single game. I don't have to choose. That is one reason why I never get too excited about an NFL team, because I don't get to choose what games are shown here. I'm not paying for that service since I'm not a huge NFL fan. I watch it a lot after the Grey Cup because it is football.
On another topic... I love the weeknight games !!! Give me a Tuesday night game anytime !!! Go straight from work, grab some food and go to the game. A nice treat during the work week. Here in Toronto, we are seeing the results of having all those weekend games that some were clamoring for. Just too many people here with other things to do on the weekend, especially in the summer.

If I'm not mistaken, a lot of the Sunday afternoon games are played in Montreal. For example, Montreal has 3 Sunday afternoon games this year, we have one. Its a bit of a thing there to my understanding.

I've also had a hunch that a lot of Ticat games that I've watched on a Sunday have often been against Saskatchewan. Looking a this years schedule, Sask plays 7 games on Sundays! We play 3. Anybody know if there's something to this?

Anyways, I believe that the CFL's TV numbers actually go up once the NFL season starts. Instead of being hurt by the competition, we actually piggy back on the casual sports fan getting into a football mood, and that includes those people who simply see Sunday afternoon as football day. Saturday night these people aren't thinking about football, Sunday afternoon, they'll flick on whatever game is on, including the CFL game.

As much as I loathe these types, they help the ratings.

no need to explain. im just messin with you dude. :thup:

i think its more the summers over no more long weekends at the cottage or vacations to Toledo Ohio.

This past Tuesday night - same venue the Argos play in - 36,183 for a Jays game 0n the same night that almost 15,000 were watching Under 20 soccer at BMO and another 10,000 or so were watching Rogers Cup Tennis up near York University - so over 60,000 fans at sporting events in Toronto that Tuesday evening.

For the Blue Jays their Monday - Thursday average crowd since the beginning of July for the eight home midweek games during that stretch is 34,798.

For Argos to use that as an excuse for poor crowds - sorry but that is one very lame excuse.

Agreed - the Argos have a very good schedule this year compared to past years. Almost entirely Saturday afternoons and Friday nights . Only ONE bad night this year and that’s Tuesday - to use the excuse that fans didn’t buy season tickets this year because of ONE Tuesday night game is ridiculous. They can’t use that bad schedule excuse any more.

I don't mind the Sunday CFL Games and agree with fans, if a CFL game is on the Sunday TV Schedule I'm more likely to watch that first before flipping on the NFL game.

In regards to CFL Schedule makers my only beef would be with the schedule before September and Labor Day, the seasons starts in recent years have been all over the place but the best is to start the CFL year on Canada Day and take advantage of the holiday and national tradition because it usually falls on a weekday it's not like a weekend game in the summer most people are at home and at the start of July it would be great marketing to kick off the schedule.

Also more games from Wednesday through Friday, Saturday during the Summer of July/August, usually nothing is on during a Wednesday night maybe a baseball game or darts that's it, start the CFL week on a Wednesday night, than a game Thursday, Friday, Saturday spread out the games instead of the back to back stuff, better for the TV audience in Canada and the USA.

Lastly speaking of that, many CFL fans south of the border in the States have said they would like to see more marketing and advertising of games in the CFL in the States, they said they have seen it the past, many years ago but nothing recently, good market to take advantage of considering every CFL team is so close to the border, newspapers, internet, local TV etc.

Looking at the schedules of the two leagues and using Sept 7 (opening week in the NFL) as the benchmark the CFL has a grand total of 6 games scheduled out of 40 remaining going up against the NFL on Sundays. This thread is totally embellished and exaggerated only because the OP's precious Detroit Lions happen to play on the 14th of Sept up against a Rider-Cat game here.
I mean seriously,give your head a shake,maybe next year you can have the league consult you first as to when your
Lions play before making up the schedule for the Cats :roll: As for the play-offs in the CFL they have always been traditionally played on a Sunday,the East game at 1:00 and the West game at 4:00. So if you would rather stay at home and watch your precious Lions instead of watching Live CFL play-off action instead then IMO you're not much of a fan of the Cats in the first place.I could see you having a problem if the CFL had scheduled 34 games on a Sunday instead of the other way around,but only
6 games out of a possible 40 ? Give me a break :roll: This whole thread is much ado about nothing in reality.Oh and by the way
the Cats also play on Sunday Sept 7 against the Al's in Montreal and the OP's Lions ? they play on MNF Sept 8th against the NYG
so as you can see there is plainly no conflict with the Cats playing on that Sunday when it comes to Robo and his precious Lions.

:cowboy: Oh and by the way Robo circle the date Oct 19 on your calendar cause the Saints are going to DESTROY your little Lions on that day :D :lol: :rockin: and when they're done with them I'll be tuning in the Edm-Sask game that starts at 4:00 that same Sunday. :rockin: :cowboy:

I think you might be onto something there. You’d be hard-pressed to find a non-fan who finds more negatives about the Ticats/CFL than the OP.

U.S. resident who feels the CFL is a better game strategy wise.... I would like to see four downs in the CFL and would like to see the NFL adopt the CFL punting/kicking rules but adjust kickoff line so there are more returns.... Love the CFL... grateful to ESPN3 for the ability to watch any and all the games. Ticats/Patriots fan.

U have the Flutie Bros covered :thup: :thup:

We actually do have four downs in the CFL. Being Canadian though, we are naturally cautious and punt on 3rd down, just in case we miscounted.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, adding another down would be a disaster. 3 down football has totally different strategy for both the offense and the defense. Adding a down would change the strategy to an NFL one which, again being Canadian, we would be wrong to copy. The CFL is the superior game, and any changes to Americanize it would turn off a lot of hard core fans. At least in my opinion.

Wow, getting off topic now. I don't think the game would simply transition to using an NFL strategy. There's more reason to why the CFL is a pass first league than just having one less down. We also have a wider field, more space to make YAC yards and an extra receiver. In short, the passing game is easier.

I think it'd be a disaster as well. Its already a high-scoring brand of football. Add another down and defence would be pointless.

I’m not sure that passing is “easier”, but it’s needed to gain more yards in fewer tries. Passing isn’t easier, on any passing play only 3 things can happen and 2 of them are BAD, 1. incomplete, bad, 2. interception, very bad, and 3. complete good.

The word “easier” may not be the best choice of words but there’s more space on the field and the QB has an extra receiving option, you can’t tell me that’s negligible.

Of course things balance out in other ways, but bottom line, a wider field and extra player is an advantage for the offence, IMO. Four downs would give them too much of an edge.

I hate that line about three things that can happen on a passing play and two being bad. Same thing can be said for a running play. Fumble. Caught in the backfield for a loss. If passing was so much of a gamble, then why is it so dominant?? Just a little pet peeve of mine. Nothing personal !!

off topic :roll: