Bombers vs. Als.

.....CFL 2013 kicks off in the new digs...Bombers look to be ready..I know Burke would like to get off to a quick start unlike last year when the team faltered badly out of the gate....We seemed to carry that theme in every quarter played and never really got off the ground at all offensively until late...We look to be relatively healthy although may be a little rusty until the vets. find their legs...I think the key is to get to Calvillo often and get him off his passing game... Looks like they may be in trouble with the running game as a few of their starters are out, so I expect AC to go to the air often. Get him hurried and pressured into making mistakes is the key....I'm really looking forward to a great start at IGF..Let's hope it's an entertaining one... :thup:

Jade Etienne gets his first start in Poblah's W spot. Could be his to keep if be shows well as per Burke.

Come on Kid! Show us it was worth the wait! :thup:

What are the chances Matthews plays? He's on my fantasy team :frowning:

Trouble with the running game? Jennings, our starter from last year after Whitaker went down, is healthy and ready to go. Yes, Whitaker is on the 1-game and Messam nursing a torn hamstring, but I think we have the horses to run. Whether we execute successfully on the ground is another issue entirely...

.....Well let's just say if a team has two rbs. the calibre of those on the shelf, doesn't bode well if the one you have left, goes down......not a good situation.....Also I thought Whitaker was 9 gamed???? Anyway..matters not .we know AC will be slinging for the most part... :wink:

Nah, Whitaker's on the 1-game. The team says he's healthy but not "mentally ready", whatever that means. He's back very early from the ACL injury so it's likely a precaution, and one we can afford with the guys we have in the backfield (Jennings, Devine, Lumbala).

In terms of what AC will be doing, yes, I'm sure he'll be slinging, but for us, as with every team, a balanced attack is essential. Our new RB coach (Speckman) is renown for his "Fly" offense, so we might just be running the ball more than you think...:wink:

Would be great if Etienne was able to make some plays and ultimately take Poblah's spot in the line-up on a permanent basis, since Kito has shown absolutely nothing but the ability to drop passes and get injured.

Interesting game. Als have a bit of an advantage in terms of "surprise" but we'll get the best the Bombers can deliver with Pierce as healthy as he will be this season.

...Sad to say snap but I agree....Kito has been a no-show.....Etienne has the door open...Thurs. he has to walk through it.. :thup: :rockin:

I had such high hopes for Kito. Watching him run DBs over in practice when he first got here. Grab this chance and run Jade!

....Game is officially 'SOLD-OUT'....was there any doubt :thup:

I picked Montreal to win in the VGC but Winnipeg winning wouldn’t surprise me in the least. New stadium, sold-out crowd, a team that must surely be driven to erase the memory of preseason / 2012 and start the year off on the right foot.

This Fly offense of yours is quickly becoming a hot topic around some of the CFL forums. Did they show any of it in the pre-season games and, if so, how did it look?

No, they showed no Fly offense at all. Everything was very vanilla and we barely ran the ball; when we did, it was straight handoffs or counters without anything fancy. I'm hoping things get a bit more creative on Thursday. That said, I do expect us to have trouble running the ball, not because of the running backs, but because we're on our third O-line coach in three years and he's apparently changing stuff up and the line might have trouble run-blocking as a result...

A full stadium with loud fans IMO could really disrupt Montreal's ability to communicate and timing, particularly on offense. Could be a huge advantage for the bombers, particularly in the early going. It'll be on the bomber offense to keep the fans into the game.

I suspect this is going to be a close game but I like the Bombers chances.....the Als have just made so many changes I would be surprised to see them firing on all cylinders so early in the year.

I'm anxious to see our defense. We'll know right away if it has a chance of being better than last year, which was the worse defense with MAYBE the exception of Hamilton.

Very true, although we have a veteran offense with a QB who is quite accustomed to working on a silent count. So I hope we're able to deal with that crowd noise.

Having the vet QB helps, but it's a vet QB with a new coaching staff and a new offense. If Trestman was still at the helm and the same offense as in the past, they could rely on Calvillo's veteran savvy that much more. It'll be interesting to see how efficiently he'll be able to execute the offense Hawkins/Miller want to run. It'll be interesting to watch for sure.

I also think Whitaker being out is a big plus for the bombers. The had their issues containing him last season in the two first meetings of the season. Jennings IMO is just not on the same threat level IMO based on what I saw from him last year. Not sure what to make of their wideouts but they continue to have the same exceptional slots. Defense continues to look solid and the changes in the secondary should make them better (addition by substraction along by dumping Dwight Anderson IMO, always felt he was overrated). Bombers best chance for a win IMO is use the crowd as best they can to disrupt the MTL offense and keep pounding their defense with a healthy dose of Simpson and Ford to open up some shots downfield.

I agree with you to some extent, but they're also very different backs. Whitaker's injury plus all our receiver injuries last season forced Trestman to change our offense up midstream and move to a power running game with lots of double TE sets (Lavoie and Bomben). For that offense, Jennings was a good fit with his size and north-south running. Whitaker is the superior blocker, though, no question.

Not sure what to make of their wideouts but they continue to have the same exceptional slots.
Green and Richardson will play inside, with Brandon London as short-side wideout and Bruce replacing Bratton at wide-side wideout. To me, one of the strongest receiving corps in the league. London had a crazy YPG average last year and piled up 800+ yards despite missing something a good chunk of the season due to a knee injury. G&R (heh) are proven possession guys. Bruce, I think, still has gas left in the tank, and should be a difficult matchup for Creehan, since (as the fourth receiver and the one farthest from the QB) he'll be lining up against your weakest cover DB more often than not.
Defense continues to look solid and the changes in the secondary should make them better (addition by substraction along by dumping Dwight Anderson IMO, always felt he was overrated).
Pass rush is still an issue for us, as it's been the past three years. If we can get pressure with our front four, we'll have success. If not, it could be a long evening for our D.
Bombers best chance for a win IMO is use the crowd as best they can to disrupt the MTL offense and keep pounding their defense with a healthy dose of Simpson and Ford to open up some shots downfield.
I agree, and conversely, if we can limit your running game and force you into being one-dimensional on the pass, I like our chances.