Bombers trade Warner for Nugent

[url=http://www.cfl.ca/index.php?module=newser&func=display&nid=15862]http://www.cfl.ca/index.php?module=news ... &nid=15862[/url]

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 12:05PM

WINNIPEG (CFL.ca wire) -– The Winnipeg Blue Bombers fortified their Canadian content today with the acquisition of non-import defensive back Jason Nugent in a trade with the Edmonton Eskimos.

The Blue Bombers acquired Nugent and a fifth round pick in the 2007 CFL Canadian Draft from the Eskimos in exchange for defensive tackle Ron Warner and a fourth round pick in this year’s CFL Canadian Draft.

“Jason Nugent is a highly-regarded non-import who we ranked quite highly in our draft evaluations last year,? said Blue Bombers general manager Brendan Taman. “We’re very happy to add him to the mix of Canadian defensive backs we have.

“We’re always looking to add young, upcoming talent to the football club. At the same time, you have to give up a quality player to get a quality player.?

Nugent appeared in one game last season after being selected in the second round (17th overall) of the 2006 CFL Canadian Draft by Edmonton.

Originally a running back, Nugent was converted to defensive back at Rutgers University. In 2005, he made 38 tackles, one interception and forced a fumble in 11 games with the Scarlet Knights. That followed a 2004 campaign that saw him register 38 total tackles, two and a half tackles for losses and one forced fumble in 11 games, including five starts.

Nugent was credited with 42 total tackles for Rutgers in 2003 after he was converted from running back to safety. He saw limited playing time in 2002, finishing the year with 125 yards rushing on 29 carries in 10 games. He also registered a blocked punt against Miami.

I think we're going to regret this trade. I would have liked to see Warner and Davis battle for the DT position at Training Camp. I know the argument is that whoever is released would be a freebie for any CFL team but atleast we could have seen who the better candidate was for the position.

I know Warner wasn't all that reliable last year
with a bum knee but he is really mobile for a 275 pound guy. More mobile than Davis but we'll see what the BIG DOG brings to camp.

With all the Canadian talent on the O.Line, is Eric Wilson expected to play on the defensive side of the ball? He's gritty enough and he looked good when Ritchie put him there a few years ago. Good insurance package too when Nate goes down. I'm guessing that he will have to beat out Goodspeed to be an Import on the O.Line.

On the surface it sounds like a good trade for the Bombers.
If Nugent develops into the player he was projected to be, he could be their starting deep safety for several years. At 6'01 220 maybe Gibson will look at him at OLB as well.
Warner is a good DT but I thought he tailed off a bit half way through the season. His best years may be behind him. But anytime you can get a potentially starting Canadian for a replaceable import its got to be classed as a good deal.

I was about to say that that statement qualifies as 'truer words never spoken.'

But then I remembered that Toronto traded Keith Stokes ("a replaceable import") for Richard Karikari ("a potentially starting Canadian"), and since the Argos released Karikari a month or so after the deal, it cannot now be classed as a good deal (for them).

So, just goes to show, there's an exception to every rule.

.....non-import ...for an import who really didn't want to play in the Peg.......no-brainer......i hope Warner likes his new team...could be better than the Arena deal...maybe :lol: :lol:

We have Davis, Wilson, and now apparently Jerome Haywood to compete for Warner's spot...We'll be fine...

:wink:

Welcome to town Ted! Love that Cat Scratch Fever!