Bombers sign WR Will Franklin and LB SaMario Houston

From TSN:

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers have added import wide receiver Will Franklin and import linebacker SaMario Houston to their roster.

As per team policy, details of the agreements are not disclosed.

Franklin was drafted in the 4th round, 105th overall, in the 2008 NFL Draft by the Kansas City Chiefs. He played in 13 games during his rookie season, starting one and finishing the season with seven catches for 83 receiving yards. He played his NCAA football at Missouri and as a senior, started all 14 games. He caught for 49 passes for 709 yards and four touchdowns while being named honorable mention All-Big 12.

Houston played at Catawba College, earning All-SAC Freshman Defensive Player of the Year honours in 2002. He was also a two-time First Team All-SAC pick in 2003 and 2004. He also spent time with Berlin in NFL Europe in 2007.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=314146

Franklin is very interesting.

If they can get him to keep his work ethic up, he'll be a nice addition.

Funny how some Bomber fans were wanting the Bombers to sign/trade for Armstrong and Franklin and now we have Armstrong and Franklin - just different Armstrong and Franklin. :wink:

hmm. i used to be a big chiefs fan... in recent years i have follwed them less but i did take notice when franklin was drafted... at the time kc was pretty happy to have gotten this kid.. if my memory serves me correctly he was very fast, (low 4.3 or something at the combine?) i guess he couldnt stick around the nfl... could be a good addition for the bombers, good for competition at camp anyways.

....My guess is he'll be more than just competition for the current receivers on our roster.....he''ll push to start...I'm beginning to be really impressed with the calibre of player Mack and Moll are coming-up with.... :thup: :thup: We're on the right track.... :wink:

i agree papa, but i dont wanna sound over anxious and have anyone think im a bramlet girl or w/e, especially since i havent posted much since last year lol. me just being silly but yes... there was a lot of mixed reactions when the chiefs let this kid go... on the other hand he couldnt stick anywhere after... hopefully now he is still interested in playing some good ball... could be a real weapon...

and definately! what i enjoy so far is we are bringing in prospects who for the most part so far are young and still have their best years ahead... guys who may make an immediate impact but also could help make this team strong for the future...

hope they put on a good show in tc!

i think im more excited to see what the lb can do. I think we have a decent young receiving core and its nice to see mack and moll and the boys signing guys every 2nd or 4th day now but we need lb help badly. Really anxious to see what this kid can do. hopefully the lb isnt just being brought in for a training camp body. i hope he's gonna give ike or shabazz a run for their money.

Both are solid pick ups and will only make the competition in TC that much better, i seen Franklin play when he was with the Cheifs and he is a solid reciever with good hands, he should push Hall, marshall, Edwards, Bowmwn for a spot and he is still only 25 YRS old. Houston seems like an interesting player, good size and speed and still very young, i think these 2 signings are great and i believe LaPo and Mack are signing the best available talent, good job!! Maybe Houston or Kent can help fill the shoes of L.Walls and Heffney and if we do get Heff back we will be one of the best defenses in the league, maybe even without Heff we can be, we will soon see. This depends on the offense as well, we need to keep drives alive this season and give the defense a rest once in awhile, last season seemed like they were on the field the whole game, every game.