Bombers sign Matechuk

The Bombers have signed former Ticats long snapper Jordan Matechuk who was busted for steroid possession at the U.S. border last spring while on his way to training camp. He was sentenced to 90 days in jail in September. Here's what Winnipeg GM Joe Mack had to say in a release:

We are signing Jordan based on his football talent and because we feel that he can improve the depth on our roster. Whatever Jordan has gone through in the past in his personal life doesn’t affect our decision to bring him in. We feel everyone deserves a second chance and Jordan has demonstrated professionalism and honesty throughout this entire process. We’re very excited to have him in our training camp and we look forward to seeing what he can do for our team.?

http://www.scratchingpost.thespec.com

As per Drew's blog...

It's a good signing, he's a great long snapper.

Good luck to him. :thup:
Hopefully he takes this second chance seriously and fulfills his gridiron goals.

Still a convicted drug dealer. How can the league be credible putting a PED prevention and detection program and and let this guy in weeks after he's been released from jail. Same old CFL...

The guys an idiot...
If you wanna take steroids thats your choice, but going in and out of the US with them just to save some time makes you look pretty foolish.

why does it matter that he went to jail...
Look at the NFL they have guys in jail all the time, do you want the CFL to give him a lifetime ban :s

Agreed. He's lucky enough to get one so I hope he makes the best of it. Good luck to him. Hopefully he has worked out his issues. Crossing the border obviously wasn't the brightest move, but getting caught may have saved his life so hopefully it was a wake up call for him.

Actually, HFxTC, he plead guilty to possession and not possession for the purpose so he's not a convicted drug dealer, just a drug user. I get your point and can agree with you, but the NFL is no less guilty of allowing criminals a "second chance".

Best of luck to Jordan, I have kept in touch with him and his Mom and they are both very happy at this! People make mistakes in life period. Wishing Jordan NOTHING but the best!

Hang on here. In the NFL players are allowed back in after the league is satisfied that the players have proven they have dealt with the issues and repaired their image and then the commish decides if these standards have been met. No it should not be a lifetime ban but in any other sport it is a one to two year ban on first offense and lifetime on second offense.

Really? Because Plaxico Burress was convicted of 2 weapons charges, served 2 years in jail, was released from prison on June 6, 2011 and signed by the Jets on July 31, 2011

Really? Because Plaxico Burress was convicted of 2 weapons charges, served 2 years in jail, was released from prison on June 6, 2011 and signed by the Jets on July 31, 2011
Is that the guy who shot himself in the leg by accident ?

That is the idiot in question lol

What would be a 1 or 2 year ban a steroid charge or going to jail?

yes, he was foolish.
Extremely foolish and subversive to himself and the Cats.

Jordan is very fortunate to be given a second opportunity to straighten out his life/career, thus he better make wise decisions herein.

Every major league pro sport out there has provided second, third, and more chances for redemption (Darryl Strawberry, Maradona, Steve Howe, Ben Johnson, Manny Ramirez, Bryan Berard, Bob Probert etc etc etc the list goes on and on) thus Matechuk deserves at least a second kick at the can.

another misstep will likely be the final nail in the coffin though..

He either sold steroids or used them. In Athletics it is a 2 year ban, MMA a one year ban, Baseball who knows how long. But he probably fell under the first year easing in of the CFL's PED policy. Anyway let's hope he's learned something. These types of drugs maim and kill. They are a lot more dangerious than weed.

You have no clue what your talking about, where are you coming up with this 2 year ban from…
MLB a first positive test gets you 50 games (162 game season)
NFL is about 4 games

You have no clue what your talking about, where are you coming up with this 2 year ban from... MLB a first positive test gets you 50 games (162 game season) NFL is about 4 games
I wrote 2 year ban athletics (Track and field) and baseball who knows ?

Learn to read.

I can read just fine, and if you look into it you'd know how long baseball is. I don't even know what point your trying to make, he sat out a season what more do you want?

He may be a great long snapper but he's no geography major.

Personally his actions were selfish ... he only considered himself and embarassed our team last summer.

Can't wait to remind him of that when Winnipeg comes to town.

He did the crime, he did the time. That's good enough for me.

An Argo-Cat fan