Bombers sign Jamaal Westerman

People are saying that this is our biggest signing of the off-season:

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers are pleased to announce the addition of National defensive lineman Jamaal Westerman.

Westerman (6-3, 260, Rutgers, February 21, 1985 in Brooklyn, New York) has spent the past six seasons in the National Football League.

“Jamaal was highly recruited throughout the CFL this off-season and we are very grateful and fortunate he chose the Winnipeg Blue Bombers,? said Blue Bombers General Manager Kyle Walters. “He’s a big, physical defensive end who we feel can be an immediate impact player on our roster. In addition, his Canadian status is a major plus and really a ratio changing addition for us.?

Originally signed as an undrafted free agent by the New York Jets in 2009, Westerman appeared in 58 games through six seasons. He amassed 62 tackles, six sacks, four fumble recoveries and one forced fumble, while adding 27 special-teams tackles.

He has spent time with the Jets (2009-11), Arizona (2012), Indianapolis (2012), Buffalo (2013) and Pittsburgh (2013).

Westerman played his collegiate football at Rutgers where he appeared in 50 games, registering 141 tackles and 26 sacks.

His kid brother was a 1st round draft pick for BC a few years back.

Jamaal only qualified as a 'National' since last year's CBA.

This clears up the releasing Vega and his salary. They made now bones that they needed another National Dlineman. With two other draft picks in the NFL westerman comes full circle back North and back to his College position at Rutgers as DE.

Between the five players they signed in free agency, Westerman and Picard. The Bombers should be competitive this season. Should be a war in the West this year from top to bottom.

He's been a busy little Walters hasn't he.

Good job by Walters in signing Westerman. He is having an outstanding season. I always thought he would make a good CFL DE and was hoping last winter Jim Barker could sign him for the Argos. I would take Westerman over Foley any day.
The Bombers are finally getting some decent Canadian talent in Winnipeg IMO. Westerman, Picard, Chungh, Richards and Hurl. I guess the jury is still out on next years #1 pick Waggoner and last years pick Goossen but Walters made more hits and misses.
The previous regime left them in quite a hole though, Canadian talent wise.