Bombers sign DL Willie Jefferson to extension

Can’t say Lawler didn’t make the right decision? LMAO.
The 2 clubs are night and day. He spent the year with regret!

1 Like

Can’t disagree with what you say either. I suggested Lawler could be a Bomber because they traded for him this year which was unfortunately nixed by the season ending injury he suffered in his last game he played. There remains mutual interest at the very least. The Bombers would have to come up with some cash but he might take a slight discount for say a two year deal that gives him two realistic chances at another Cup.

What the Bombers are able to do will of course depend on what kind of cash they give out to other players and it’s too early to tell how that will shake out. I think they will be considerably more interested in Lawler if Schoen goes to the NFL, although I think they will still be interested even if he stays.

2 Likes

He was certainly ready to come back until he got hurt in his last game.

Stats, schmats! Willie is worth his weight and contract in Gold…and Blue. He’s a perennial all-star and will continue to play at a high level.

I seem to recall the Riders handed the QB reins over to a guy who is now getting run out of town by the very supportive fans of your team after they dumped some QB named Collaros a few years ago because they thought he wouldn’t play much more. 2 Grey Cups later, he is still playing very, very well.

Then, there’s that receiver Duke that your team brought in last year and he’s played minimal games in two years. No production on the field but he was sure instrumental off the field taking an unsportsmanlike penalty, costing them a game and leading to the coach deciding to not allow non dressing players to be on the sidelines. Great signing! Bet your glad they didn’t overpay for his services. :laughing:

Several more examples, but, hey that’s enough for one day!

You want to criticize the Bombers signing of Jefferson, check your own back yard first.

That’s the difference between a Championship level organization and what’s going on in Regina. The Bombers sign winners. Cheers

4 Likes

Jefferson stats: 33 tackles (9 more than his MOP year), 7 sacks, 2 FF’s, one IT for a TD and 10 pass knockdowns. Plus being a general wrecking crew in front of the QB and forcing more sidearm throws than any other player.

Yeah I’d say he’s done.

2 Likes

And that was without Jeffcoat for a lot of the year and teams continuing to double team him. Yes, he’s washed up at 31.

1 Like

BC has Burnham to sign, but he is 4 years older than Lawler so that may be a possibility. I think either player would wait to see who is at QB before signing. They also have 6 o-linemen to sign.

Regina basically has a whole team to sign. Who their QB may be might determine who they sign or draw interest from in FA receivers? Another backwards move for Lawler IMO.

Edmonton has a whole list of FA receivers. The QB situation is unknown. Yes, Cornelius is signed for a couple years but does Lawler want to wait for him to develop or try his luck there again.

Kenny went for big money last year and lost. Will he want to do that again?

I also think a return to Winnipeg is a very real possibility. Ellingson may retire. Demski and Bailey are free agents and Schoen is yet to be determined. The thing that may get in the way of a Lawler return is that there are many key defensive players to sign.

Signing Jefferson is obviously a major piece to have coming back.

1 Like

Rourke making chump change allows maximum cap flexibility for BC. If Rourke makes the NFL (as a 2nd or 3rd stringer) then BC has to step up and sign an expensive nomad QB like Bo Levi, MacBeth, etc.
Sask'n is in the process of running their current #1 QB out of town (if they haven't already) and dumping Duke Williams opens up their cap flexibility.

If only Lawler comes back to town to team with Demski, Wolitarsky, Orange-Doyle, Schoen, agudio, etc. plus new rookies grabbed from the official NFL reject pool.

The other slow elephant in the room is 35 yr old Adam Bighill. No better linebacker has ever graced the Bomber lineup pages but Bighill’s thunder was reduced to raindrops during the Grey Cup.

Running w/ Bighill again will be risky as he’s continually asked to do too much with too little!

I don’t know that it’s risky with the regular starters in, but I think it may be time to groom another middle linebacker with Bighill there. Kyrie Wilson is a big ? mark with injuries. If they can keep Darby this time that would stabilize the group. Clements was good, Rutledge Jr played really well and then was “benched”?

If Bighill does decide to retire, maybe they could persuade Sankey to come over from Sask. Hey, several other Riders made the jump (Big Willie J among them) to the Bombers and look how that’s turned out for them. Sankey will be 29. Who knows?

2 Likes

Very fair analysis. Good mentions of outside players althought the egis in Bomberland is to sign hometown heroes supplemented by NCAA/NFL recruits.
If Kyrie Wilson unable to carry the water next season, Bombers might beg Bighill to staunch the bleeding, even during a final year decline. Bighill is a gamer. The only time we really notice him sub-par is when guys like Chad Kelly, Cowboy Teddy, lanky Cornelius from Edmonton or even Maier make him look like he’s running backwards. Bighill still good drifting back into intermediate pass coverage. His attitude and ferocity make up for his declining speed & agility.
Rutledge, Jr. was a nice recruit, still might blossom into a great Bomber but who’d you rather play in the Grey Cup. Bighill or Routledge? Not even close for O’Shea!
Bomber D-7 some concern as good opponents found gaping holes and max yardage. Bombers don’t have a legit bull-rusher/run-stopper. Willy J is a freelancer who can be effective. Jeffcoat’s wheels starting to fall off. How much more juice can they squeeze out of Jake Thomas? Bomber linebackers were crummy during Grey Cup - not much better during Western final.

he would rather harass other fans

1 Like

Bombers still loaded with talent but getting long in the tooth

3 Likes

They addressed some of the long-in-tooth stuff last year when they awkwardly ditched Andrew Harris. Harris was coming up lame too many times last season and wasn’t much better this year - although when he did ride, he rode with authority!
Lots of Bombers officially entering long-in-the-tooth territory; Hardick, Bryant, Ellingson, Neufeld, Bighill, Collaros, Mike Miller, a few more.
Knowing O’Shea he’ll tend to ride things out in Dodge City with slow-shooters and long riders. And they’re comfortable transitioning from Grey Cup defending champions to above average Trial Horses!

They just couldn’t keep up with the Argos… score flattered them

Making an factual observation is now harassing other fans… ok then

On the bright side at least we’ll be able to sign all of our Free Agents thanks to ‘The CFL Senior Citizen Discount’ that we’ll qualify for this year. :grinning: :+1:

1 Like

Well the another fact is Winnipeg is a way better team the Saskatchewan right now.

Not sure what any of this has to do with resigning Willie Jefferson but maybe you can tell me. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Every outstanding aging vet we sign from here on in will cause some people on this thread to lose their minds. Enjoy the ride. :grinning:

3 Likes

What does this have to do with Willie lol