Bombers release receiver Jalen Saunders

WINNIPEG — The Winnipeg Blue Bombers have released receiver Jalen Saunders, the team announced on Wednesday.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2022/05/25/bombers-release-receiver-jalen-saunders/

After 4 years away & 2 major knee surgeries, it would have been a good story. But in tough. Sad to see.

2 Likes

It looks like the end of the road for Jalen Saunders. I give him credit for trying after a 4 year absence from professional football. All the very best in your post football aspirations.2022-05-25T17:00:00Z

3 Likes

Here is why Saunders was released.

Unfortunate to see. It would appear that we will never know whether he could have come back from his injuries.

YIKES!!!! :eyes:

Terrible situation if that is in fact proven to be true. Had been hoping Saunders could pull it together and re- enter the league but no excuses for that behaviour.

1 Like

YIKES Indeed!!! Wow. No room for that in the league.

Cut by Blue Bombers after being heralded in as a legit receiving prospect.
Murky are the circumstances surrounding this cut.
Its a sexual allegation at this point.
The funny thing is the complainant - a young Winnipeg woman filed her initial complaint with the football team, NOT THE LOCAL POLICE.
The team promised an investigation but cut Saunders within 5 hours of receiving the complainants allegations.
I hate sexual abuse, rape or murder of women. But I prefer reasonable police investigations with court/jury/judge outcomes.

Why the women in Winnipeg would go to the football club first begs the question. Was she just trying to get the guy cut or out of her hair (in Winnipeg) or was she seriously assaulted?
The Bombers told the woman to take her complaint to the police but in the meantime conducted their own investigation within the course of a few hours and made the decision to find Jalen Saunders guilty. Last time I checked Bombers didn't have judicial or police authority - but perhaps this changed with the new CFLPA/CFL collectible bargaining agreement.
Who really knows?

CFL ANNOUNCES VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN POLICY (August 2015)

• We will always err on the side of safety, respect for the sanctity of human life, and every person’s inherent right to security from harm.

• We will not act as criminal investigators, fact finders, judges or juries: our focus is on providing access to experts who can intervene in a situation, assess the risk to the woman, mitigate any harm in the best way possible, seek behaviour change on the part of perpetrators and contribute to positive outcomes for individuals, families and communities.

• In cases where there are clear and documented cases of violence against women – determined by the police, the courts, or confirmed by the perpetrator – the CFL will impose sanctions.

• The CFL will also impose sanctions when there has been a clear violation of protection orders or other directives put in place by the courts or police, as such violations are clear indications of higher risks of violence.

• These sanctions will range from suspension for single or multiple games to a lifetime ban from the CFL, depending on the severity and number of incidences.
( Just a small portion of the policy)

Doesn't seem the Bombers followed the policy, except for err on the side of safety.

I suppose they could have suspended Jalen until more information came in. Keep in mind that could take a long time.

Or perhaps decided to deal with it by not dealing with it. Who needs the headache?

1 Like

There is already a Jalen Saunders thread so perhaps the two can be combined?

@Capital_Dave

Edit:
Thanks, just merged the two.

1 Like

I'm guessing (and that is all that is going on in any of these threads) that there were credable witnesses to support the woman.

1 Like

Agree ... or **** at very least **** Saunders was not credible in his denials/explanations

1 Like

Thanks for placing the information on-line my friend. Bombers definitely punted on this one - responding to the complaint as if they were the CFL police. Saunders may have assaulted the complainant, who knows but the fact the police were only called in after the Bombers released Sanders is a story in itself.
It shows a fragile organization - concerned about what fans think vs. doing the correct thing, following CFL stated procedures and letting the local authorities (no matter how incompetent) handle charges and sentencing (or not guilty).
Its obvious Bombers jumped the shark because they know these things are bad for business. Very bad I might add.
Saunders might be as guilty as all git out but due process is due process - and yes, if the police decide to investigate on the basis of the complainant's incident report then by all means suspend Saunders pending the outcome - but don't deprive a guy of his sole source of income until due process plays out!

1 Like

I don’t think the Bombers punted anything or acted like police or that they are a fragile organization for releasing him. Even if they suspended him he wouldn’t be paid.

For far too long sports organizations have swept this type of behavior under the rug. Any player has to know that being accused of sexual assault these days will get you a seat on the sidelines. Nothing surprising here. The Bombers are trying to protect their product and do have a significant number of female fans.

We don’t know what information the organization has or even if Saunders will be charged. If he is it will likely take over a year for things to play out in the criminal
Justice system. If he is not guilty of a criminal act he may still be guilty on a balance of probabilities, a la Deshaun Watson who still awaits NFL punishment.

If Saunders is being falsely accused and is later exonerated he can still play for any CFL team that will have him. In the meantime, in my opinion, he is the one responsible for putting himself in the position he is presently in.

1 Like

Bombers definitely punted - but they're struggling to put bums in the bleachers - and they need to up their stock of female fans ages 18-35. By cutting the player before police services had snapped into action is not playing it by the book.
That said, Jalen could be one helluva animal and the bombers pre-screening might have fallen short and let a bad apple into the bunch.
All this player has to do is locate the local lawyer who's country club buddies with police chiefs and top prosecutors, Its common knowledge these guys are always trading favors, especially in cases where no lives were lost and no assaults/rapes were committed.
Like you say, it might take months if not a full year for this case to make its way thru Manitoba's sluggish criminal justice system. With all the jock-sniffing and affiliations I suspect Jalen might get off scot-free or with a light scolding, possible fine and at the very most a short term jail sentence (under 3 months with time off for good behavior). I'm betting on a plea deal with little to no in the way of fines or jail time.
The obvious consequence is that Jalen S. will never don a bomber uniform. But a plea deal just might preserve his playing career - for yet another CFL team.

I agree 100% many times a person male or female can / will manufacture accusations for a multitude of reasons. This a no win situation for the Bombers & Jalen, regardless how it turns out. Winnipeg & Canada has a rich history of wrongful convictions only to have DNA prove innocence. All said companies / businesses need to protect themselves first, you only get one chance to do it right even if it's wrong. Sadly when you're a public person (at least in Canada) to err on the side of caution is proper. Now if totally exonerated, full charges should be placed on the person who made false accusations. But that doesn't happen.
EDIT. if guilty full charges, if innocence sadly you are labeled for life.

1 Like

All this player has to do is locate the local lawyer who's country club buddies with police chiefs and top prosecutors, Its common knowledge these guys are always trading favors, especially in cases where no lives were lost and no assaults/rapes were committed.

With all the jock-sniffing and affiliations I suspect Jalen might get off scot-free or with a light scolding, possible fine and at the very most a short term jail sentence (under 3 months with time off for good behavior). I'm betting on a plea deal with little to no in the way of fines or jail time.

The first paragraph above just won’t ever happen. This isn’t Suits or Chickasaw County Arkansas.

If Jalen is charged with a crime you are correct that there is likely to be a plea bargain. Around 90% of all cases are disposed of in that fashion. That doesn’t mean that anything corrupt is likely to occur. In fact a public figure more often than not suffers more than the average Joe due to his or her notoriety. If guilty of something Jalen would receive the same punishment as anyone else plus likely lose his football career.

Well said Jon!

1 Like

Well said. Better people are needed for sure!!!