Bombers RB Reid out for the season

Bombers RB Reid out for the season

THE CANADIAN PRESS

WINNIPEG -- The Winnipeg Blue Bombers have suffered a huge blow to their running game, losing both Fred Reid and Carl Volny to season-ending injuries.

The club announced Monday that both running backs will miss the remainder of the CFL season due to torn ACL injuries.

Reid and Volny were both hurt Saturday during Winnipeg's 25-24 loss in Toronto, a game in which the Bombers lost a total of seven players to injury, including starting quarterback Buck Pierce and backup Alex Brink.

Reid's loss is particularly tough for the East Division-leading Bombers, as he was second in the CFL in rushing with 759 yards and four touchdowns this season. Last year Reid led the regular season with 1,396 yards and six touchdowns.

Volny has 72 yards this year and two fumbles.

"Losing both of our talented running backs is never an easy thing,'' said general manager Joe Mack in a statement. "Unfortunately injuries are part of the game and we have to move on and look ahead at our other options. We wish both Fred and Carl the best in their recoveries.''

[url=http://cfl.ca/article/huge-loss-bombers-rb-reid-out-for-the-season]http://cfl.ca/article/huge-loss-bombers ... the-season[/url]

Tough loss for them. That's too bad. I don't like the Bummers but I hate to see anyone hurt.

I suspect the carpeted concrete at Skydome isn't the easiest to play on.

X2, I hate the bummers ALMOST as much as the blew team but I enjoy watching Reid play ball. Hope he makes a full recovery.

Geez...the Bombers are incuring injuries at the wrong time. Tough losses for the BB's..This isn't going to help them down the stretch.

What about Pierce and Brink? Will Either one be healthy enough to start this weekend?

Other Winnipeg injuries, (other than their QB situation) according to the Winnipeg Free Press today..

"DT Doug Brown -- Shoulder. Brown didn't sound too confident that he'd be in the lineup against Montreal. Donny Oramaisonwu played well Saturday, but losing Brown for an extended period would be disastrous for the defence.

OL Brendon LaBatte -- Shoulder/neck. Just like Brown's absence would impact the D-line, losing LaBatte for any extra time would be devastating for the offensive line.

DL Rodney Fritz -- Hamstring. An up-and-comer in the program, the severity of Fritz's injury wasn't known Sunday.

Along with Joe Lobendahn, their middle linebacker, also out for the season."

I should be more empathetic. I just can't be right now.

We got that ridiculous Swaggerville crap shoved down our throats from their fans, the coach's wife and the players.

Someone on this very forum, a few games ago, tried to explain to one of their followers about the possibility of injuries and how it could affect things for the BB's. As I recall, they laughed it off.

Now, the chickens have come home to roost.

And to add to their woes...latest word I hear is that Calvillo may well play this Friday against them.

I feel for the injured players...the rest of them...gettin what they deserve!!!

As of today, Pierce and Brink are questionable as is Calvillo. It could be a very interesting game on Friday night.

I believe Diandra Cobb is a free agent and has rushed for 1,217 and 1,173 yds in each of the past two seasons for theCats. (his only two seasons in the CFL)

He would be as good addition as any for a temporary replacement.

The replacements for Reid and Volny are according to the Free Press...

"As for other running back options, the cupboard is somewhat bare -- for now. Second-year man Chris Garrett has spent this year on the practice roster and is expected to be given every chance to earn the starter’s reps. The club is bringing in another back, Bloi-Dei Dorzon (from Jackson State), for a look Tuesday, when the club resumes practice."

8) Speculation is that the Bombers could swing a deal with Calgary for RB Joffrey Reynolds, or Sask. for Hugh Charles.
  If those deals don't materialize, the Bombers could look at free agent RB's Arkee Whitlock, Daniel Porter or former
  Argo and Rider,  Dominique Dorsey.