Bombers Post Record Profit

https://3downnation.com/2024/04/11/winnipeg-blue-bombers-announce-overall-operating-profit-of-5-7-million-in-2023/

2 Likes

So much for the league not making any money….

2 Likes

Winnipeg (30,448) led the league in attendance by 2,800 fans per game … more than double Toronto (+16,138.2), 12,778 more than Montreal and 11,547 more than Ottawa … not certain anyone outside Winnipeg and Saskatchewan make much money.

2 Likes

They made a profit of almost $6 million. If you remove the stadium payments it would be even more.
Toronto is a basket case. Montreal just emerged from a decade of mismanagement.
2,800 fans a game less would still put you in a very strong financial position. Even 5,000 less a game puts you in the black.

2 Likes

It was reported in Hamilton 4 or 5 years ago that “break even” was at about 22,000 people in the seats per game. Not just ticket sales, actually people in the stadium buying food, beer and merch.
So by my estimations , only 4 teams broke even or made a profit last year.
Winnipeg, Saskatchewan, B.C. and Hamilton.
Ottawa has traditionally broke even since 2014, but attendance has slipped to under 20k recently.

2 Likes

CFL introduced new revenue sharing in 2021 so the numbers might be a little skewed.

1 Like

League only loses money when it comes to the players and salaries.

1 Like

I forgot about that.
Actually, 2024 is the first tear this profit sharing is supposed to take place.
I wonder if it is profit by team, or overall profit or loss of all 9 teams combined?
The players will find out soon that there is no league "profit " if you count the league as a whole. It does apparently include Grey Cup profits as well though.

The revenue sharing model is not the same as it exists in other leagues. A bunch of items are not included in the formula. If we had true revenue sharing, no team would be left behind.

2 Likes

profit sharing amongst the players starts in 2024 as negotiated through the 2022 CBA.

CFL 2024 Offseason Changes to Watch - Sports Illustrated CFL News, Analysis and More.

Revenue sharing amongst the owners has been going on for a while. As EastVanMark has said it isn’t as good as other leagues.

1 Like

But that all depends on ticket prices, you can’t say that “break even” is 22k.
Hamilton and Ottawa sell the club seats at $250 and $350 a pop, if they sell 1,000 at $300 average that equals $2.7 MILLION
And then there are the private suites that are very expensive, then the side line seats. Then the seats between the 45 yard lines that go for $120.
Not sure what the break even attendance would be but in places like Toronto there are very few people paying for expensive seats, how many buy the “cheap” $25 tickets and then sit in the expensive seats.

Someone said the league is making a lot of money because the Bombers made $6 M profit??
That doesn’t mean the league is making money because one or two teams making a profit.
I would say that Toronto, Edmonton, Montreal, BC all losing money. Calgary’s attendance was also down along with Ottawa.
The Riders and Bombers likely the only two teams making a profit.
This league is still counting on attendance to make make money.
With operating expenses around $26 million to $30 million for most teams and only $5 million each from the TV contract, they need ticket sales, beer sales, merchandise, in stadium ads etc to make up the revenue.

It was an interview with Scott Mitchell around 2018. It was based on the average ticket price for the Tim Hortons field being around $60 at the time. Yes the tickets prices range now from $35 to $250 ( not including the luxury suites). He was taking in general . Season seat prices are lower then face value, so I know its complicated.
If the Cats get around 22,000 paying customers that actually show up for 10 games they break even when considering all revenue that that generates plus their share of the TV deal. I’m sure a home playoff games helps the bottom line as well. CFL teams need about 30 Million in revenue from all sources to cover all expenses and salaries. Ticket sales account for about 45- 50% of that revenue.

2 Likes

Yes I agree with most of what you are saying.
I would say that Ottawa is similar, with a lot of expensive club seats, sideline seats, private suites etc.
That is the way to make money or break even. I don’t think they will ever get a lucrative TV deal

47 posts were merged into an existing topic: 2024 CFL (and Other Sports) TV and Media Ratings

Since we have been receiving complaints about thread wandering, we should keep the discussion here remotely connected to the thread topic.

Someone could start a new thread if they want to discuss future CFL TV rights further or alternatively posts here could be merged into an appropriate existing topic. Or we can leave it as is and just discuss Bomber record profits. I have no preference, but just warning of possible stormy weather.

3 Likes

Ok. This warning was completely ignored and some prior posts as well as about 50 subsequent posts have nothing to do with the thread topic. I have seen numerous flags when a few off topic posts are made yet none here in the worst offending off topic thread I believe I have ever seen. I am moving most of this thread and deleting several antagonistic posts. Please don’t make any more posts in this thread that don’t relate to the thread topic of Bombers Record Profit.

3 Likes

mikem, seats between the 45 yard lines, at least at Mosaic do not average this amount. I am on the 54 yard line in excellent seats and I pay about $75/game (taxes included) with Labour Day and playoffs being slightly more expensive. I believe Winnipeg would have similar prices. The place where teams really make money is on premium seating and in the luxury boxes.

2 Likes

Check out Ottawa and Hamilton prices on the 55 yard line or between the 50s -$120 - if you include the price of the Club Seats, private suites, sideline seats and seats between the 50s.
The average ticket price is well over $80
I would think that with Winnipeg and Sask having twice as many seats between the 50s, the prices would be lower. It’s all about supply and demand