Bombers Fire Crowton - Bellefeuille New OC

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=430025

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers' shuffle of personnel continued on Sunday as the club fired offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Gary Crowton.

The team announced that Marcel Bellefeuille will take over the duties for the remainder of the season.

"No one in our organization is happy with the way we have performed so far this season," said head coach Tim Burke in a statement. "Our offence has not played up to their standards and we need to make this change in order to give us a chance at remaining in the hunt for the post season. I wish Gary all the best in his future endeavors."

More details to follow.

Did anyone not see this move coming the second Marcel Bellefeuille was hired? Burke will be the next to go if they don't win at some point in the next four.

Barring injury, I see the QB carousel coming to a close in BomberLand. I assume MB will be one and go with them for the most part. My guess, it'll be Buck back in the saddle.

Crowton bringing in Hall this week was the last gasp of a desperate coach - he knew that only a miracle could save his job at that point. Unfortunately for him, Hall was the wrong guy to hitch his horse to.

Bellfeuille is an immediate improvement, but it will take him a few weeks to have any impact.

Learn a new playbook halfway thru the year ? Yikes.

Marcel has used the "carousel" approach in the past much to his detriment ... I agree though, Buck gives the Bombers the best chance to win

Crowton has been an OC for division I schools and even the NFL yet, with all that experience, he could not design an offensive system that was usable in Winnipeg. He was into his second season with this team and no improvement was forthcoming. It seems he hitched his wagon to a quarterback he was familiar with, rather than one that could get it done.

Perhaps, this decision would explain why Burke left the QB assignment to Crowton, so there would be fewer excuses if the move turned bad, which it did.

Marcel would be a step up. Both Crowton and Miller (Montreal) came to this league, from the south likely thinking that scheming for one league is no different than the other. How wrong they could be.

If Burke isn't careful and doesn't get this team in gear soon, Bellefeuille could have another promotion soon. After all, the new CEO and acting GM didn't hire him either.

Considering how fragile Pierce is, I have my doubts that he could be the answer on ANY team.

true, Pierce is not the answer either, even when healthy.

IMO, the Bombers would have fared better had they pursued McPherson or Reilly as free agents this past winter.
Not saying these two are Messiah incarnates, although may have provided better stability at pivot than is currently shown.

A shame the Bomber faithful are still searching for the first win to christen IGF stadium.

Tangledweb wrote:

[b]"true, Pierce is not the answer either, even when healthy.

IMO, the Bombers would have fared better had they pursued McPherson or Reilly as free agents this past winter.
Not saying these two are Messiah incarnates, although may have provided better stability at pivot than is currently shown.

A shame the Bomber faithful are still searching for the first win to christen IGF stadium."[/b]

My understanding of the Reilly situation is that Edmonton was in hot pursuit and would have won anyway.

McPherson would have been a good choice for Winnipeg. He was having a great year down south until he got injured. However, he just left a clipboard carrying career with Montreal, and the degree to which Mack was devoted to Pierce, I think McPherson saw the same future on the horizon.

I think he's looking for a clear and equal shot at starting. Joe Mack never would have been able to offer him that then.

Bellefeulle will make up an offense for Buck designed for him to succeed.
He will see our weaknesses and try to exploit them.
Bellefeuille is an extremely smart veteran coach and we will see a more productive offense under his direction.
Look for the Bummers to establish a running game early to protect Buck.
Never fear Ticats fans, they still have Casey Creehan running their Defense.

Just a thought,
The Bummers are a community owned team that owes alot of coin for their new Stadium.
They are now paying Joe Mack,Garth Buchko, Paul LaPolice and now Gary Crowton for not working

oldfan wrote: My understanding of the Reilly situation is that Edmonton was in hot pursuit and would have won anyway.
Any team could have had Reilly had they wanted him badly enough. Mack chose not to enter the race for him, nor any other QB for some reason, knowing fully well Pierce's history of absences.
oldfan wrote: McPherson would have been a good choice for Winnipeg. He was having a great year down south until he got injured. However, he just left a clipboard carrying career with Montreal, and the degree to which Mack was devoted to Pierce, I think McPherson saw the same future on the horizon.

I think he's looking for a clear and equal shot at starting. Joe Mack never would have been able to offer him that then.

why not?
Mack could have offered an equal shot to any player who can compete for the job, yet for unknown reasons chose not to and subsequently suffered the consequences.

I guess in Winnipeg the OC decides on the starting QB, so Bellefeuille (who doesn't the offense yet) will pick the guy who has run the offense the most and the longest; that being Pierce. I'm truly someone who is not comfortable watching Buck play. After Isaac hit him last year, Buck looked like he was going to die. I'm going to be seriously conflicted with my team taking shots at a man whose doctor should have ordered his retirement in 2012.

Tangledweb wrote:

"why not?
Mack could have offered an equal shot to any player who can compete for the job, yet for unknown reasons chose not to and subsequently suffered the consequences."

For the same reason that McPherson was never offered a shot at starting in Montreal. It's almost impossible to dethrone the incumbent, especially when the head coach and GM want him there. You can't just be as good as the starter, but a LOT better. Try doing that when he gets all the reps at practice, the playing and coaching time.

The odds are highly stacked against you. Better to go to a team where they need a starter, the competition is more wide open and management don't already have their minds made up. Edmonton would have been a better opportunity.

That didn't take long, not suprised though.....

I think Tim Burke is running on Empty in Winnipeg and just a matter of Time before you'll see Burke replaced a head coach by Marcel Bellefeuille, he maybe the new OC now but if Winnipeg keep losing games the writing will be on the wall, if it isn't already. It was Burke who made the decision to stick with Buck Pierce in the off season as his starter and why the Bombers are in the mess they are in now or a good part of the reason why obviously Joe Mack added to it. The problem is now the team is paying for the balance on contracts this year with Mack, Crowton and so on, so not much money left to fix what needs to done?

Not a good situation at all in the peg.i still think that hall didnt look that bad friday night..with a better offensive plan,i think he will do well. pierce just cant stay healthy,so it would add alot of pressure to design anything around him knowing every game could be his last....not our problem,thank god!

I don't think even Bellfeuille can fix this mess in Staggerville this season.When he took over from Taffe here in 2008,he inherited a team that was 2-8 on the season,he finished up that year going 1-7,and the team finished at 3-15 for the year.It was not till the next season,when he had a full training camp and time to evaluate talent,that he turned things around finishing in 2nd place,going 9-9 that year.The Bomber season is essentially a write-off for 2013.If and when he assumes the H.C. role,he will most likely do what he did in 2008 here,see who and what he has to build with and start the process in the off season of retooling this train wreck of a team.The way things look right now,the B.B.'s could very well end up like the Cats did in "97"(2-16) or even worse like the 2003 Cats(1-17).Rome wasn't built over night,and neither will the PEG.I'm happy that Marcel is back in the league......but he's got his work cut out for him....Big Time!!!!!!!

:thup:

Marcel is back in the CFL great news he is a keeper for our League! he is the one coach through all this past 10 years that I think at 9:9 should NOT have been let go ?! :roll: