Bombers dominate Elks as they make history at home

WINNIPEG – The Winnipeg Blue Bombers made history Saturday, with Nic Demski and Brady Oliveira becoming the first pair of Canadians on the same team to eclipse 1,000 yards each.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2023/10/21/bombers-dominate-elks-as-they-make-history-at-home

Yes, the Bombers were dominant, but the Grey Cup will still be a challenge. There are still a few unknowns ahead: the health of Chad Kelly, the wave that the Stamps are riding, and BC cannot be discounted either. Interesting weeks ahead.

4 Likes

Indeed… First come out of the Calgary game healthy, at least Calgary has clinched their spot and won’t be a desperate team in that game…I would rather play BC in the final, Winnipeg in November against a west coast dome team, I like our chances, and you never know what can happen in the semi final as far as injuries to either team…and as for what could happen should the Bombers make it to Hamilton for the cup, Toronto is not guaranteed to win in their final game either… but, hoping it is us vs Argos…I think the Bombers would have a motivational edge should they play Toronto … it has been nice to see a little more parity in the league this year … That’s why I love the CFL … anything can happen, fan hype aside, they all still need to play the game…:blue_heart::yellow_heart::football:

2 Likes

OK, this needs at least a little talk from us in here,I know they;ve given it time on TV, but 2 local guys playing for the team they grew up watching and both getting to 1000 yards - this is a big deal and deserves some praise on here!

This is what the CFL is about! :clap:

8 Likes

As a Bomber fan for 56 years, watching other Winnipeg greats such as Chris Walby, THIS is special for our city, our team and our fans. Both of these guys came from an exceptional football program at Oak Park High. And today they have accomplished something that no other CFL team can brag about. Congratulations to both guys for what they do and take great pride in giving Winnipeg their very best.
If I’m not mistaken, another Bomber great; Rick House got the football program started at Oak Park.

4 Likes

It was a very special and proud moment when they announced at the game the incredible milestone Oliveira and Demski have accomplished. It’s just a truly incredible storyline, and hopefully, something they can repeat. Bringing Andrew Harris to Winnipeg was the big catalyst for the Bombers’ resurgence on and off the field. He brought much needed skill, determination and leadership to the organization, and they played a huge role in the team becoming winners and champions again. I remember in 2018 when Harris, Demski and another Winnipeg native, Kienan LaFrance, all scored TD’s in one game. That was another proud Winnipeg moment and unique storyline. Kudos to Wade Miller for bringing home local talent to inspire our city and province, and to give realistic hopes and dreams to which local kids can aspire. I was also tracking Brady’s yardage throughout the game as he marched towards 1,500 yards rushing. Alas, the coaches decided to save the two yards he needed for next week’s game in Calgary. That would have raised the decibel levels at IG Field a few more notches. Perhaps they didn’t want to take away from our city’s dynamic duo’s moment last night. It has certainly been very exciting to have local talent playing such prominent roles in the team’s recent success. Another important factor for maintaining and growing support from our younger fans.

4 Likes

Brady O Canada, is not only a couple yards from 1500…he is also 20 yards short from a 2000 combined rushing / receiving plateau

5 Likes

Yes, something no other Canadian has accomplished except Jon Cornish, I believe. Andrew Harris got close to 1,900 a couple of times.

1 Like

What a luxury, going from AH to BO

And at the time many critisized the club for moving on from Harris.

5 Likes

Absolutely! And Harris’ mentorship and guidance was also instrumental in Oliveira’s development. For all that Harris did for the Bombers and the city of Winnipeg, and it was a lot, it’s unfortunate that they couldn’t keep the Oak Park trio together. But the Bombers could not afford all three, and keeping Brady was critical and a no brainer.

5 Likes

I still hope Andrew will sign a one day contract with WBB when he retires.

3 Likes

Bomber fans are rightfully proud of an historic accomplishment. However I had expected more praise from fans of other teams that consistently support the Canadian aspect of the CFL and the ratio. They won’t have a better chance than now.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t hold your breath on that one. Would be neat, but I think winning the Grey Cup in Toronto means it is very unlikely he would consider it. Just my two cents

I don’t know. I doubt it will be with Toronto although he could choose BC as well. Still, Winnipeg is his home town. Hopefully even he realizes that the Bombers made the right decision and that there are no hard feelings.

Yes, hopefully but Andrew has an argument to retire for all 3 teams he’s played with.

BC Lions
WBB
Argos

I suspect he’ll retire as a Lion. My odds package:

• 55% Lion
  • 33% Bomber
  • 12% Argo

I’ll bet you it is as a Bomber. The stakes would be a one month avatar change. You would have to have a picture of Lyle Bauer as your avatar for one month if I win. If he retires as a Lion I will sport a picture of your choosing that doesn’t violate site rules for one month. Let me know.

3 Likes

No doubt, Andrew choice. But the majority of Andrews success did occur in single Blue territory, as highlighting below. This doesn’t include any CFL records and milestones Andrew achieved during his tenure in Winnipeg.

Harris was born in Winnipeg, Manitoba, and spent his early years in Steinbach, Manitoba, where he started playing football at age 9 with the Eastman Raiders.[2] He is of Barbadian descent through his father.[3] He played high school football at Grant Park High School in Winnipeg through his junior year and transferred to Oak Park High School before his senior year.

4x Grey Cup champion (2011, 2019, 2021, 2022)
3x Canadian Bowl champion (2006, 2008, 2009)
CFL All-Star
2012, 2015, 2016-2018
CFL West All-Star
2012, 2015, 2016-2019
Awards
Wally Buono Award (2009)
CFL’s Most Outstanding Canadian (2017)
Grey Cup Most Valuable Canadian (2011, 2019)
Grey Cup Most Valuable Player (2019)
CFL rushing yards leader (2017-2019)
Dr. Beattie Martin Trophy (2017, 2018)
Eddie James Memorial Trophy (2015, 2017, 2018, 2019)

1 Like

I guess what I am saying is he doesn’t owe Winnipeg , or BC anything. He came to win a cup and he did just that, twice. He is segueing at the end of this season. Why would he not as an Argo, especially if they win again. Then he moves back to BC as that teams GM and we still revere him as one of the best Canadian Tailbacks to ever play the game.

2 Likes

It could be. I don’t know. I’m going with the hometown fan point of view.

2 Likes

Just not mine :grin:

2 Likes