Bombers' defence comes up big in 7th straight win

EDMONTON — The Winnipeg Blue Bombers appear to be unstoppable after improving to 7-0, as their Week 7 victory over the Elks showcased their ability to win in multiple ways.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2022/07/23/bombers-defence-comes-up-big-in-7th-straight-win/

Another week where the BACK-TO-BACK CHAMPS go 1-0

#3peat

:trophy::trophy::100::trophy:

4 Likes

EE can take some consolation in a few facts. They lost to the Bombers by less than the Leos did, Cornelius looks to be shaking off some rust & put together some drives and, ummmm, Duron didn't take a penalty!

2 Likes

Yes, absolutely, the Elks can give themselves a big pat on the Antlers.

BUT if they hadn't been so busy rutting and hiding in plain sight (usually in tall grass) they could've squeaked out an even closer loss. I'm confident that the next time we play these critters, mating season will be nearly over and we'll have to resort to jangling our car keys in front of their snouts to keep them distracted. :smiley: :+1:

2 Likes

No, he just missed a couple assignments....most notably an 81 yard pass and run to Schoen for a touchdown.....

That and a dumb penalty to extend the Bombers last drive did them in.

On the plus side we lost by less than the Red Socks did to the Blue Jays yesterday so thats a plus....

2 Likes

Well THAT was awfully good of Duron Carter. Looks like Chris Jones' decision to shoehorn Duron into the defense as a DB is already paying dividends (for the wrong team mind you) but still... we have to appreciate this young man's talent. :smiley: :+1:

I foresee a tough second half for the Bombers.

Welcome back Monty. Excited for Saskatchewan to flex its depth against Toronto?

1 Like

[quote="montypython, post:7, topic:79567"]

I foresee a tough second half for the Bombers.

[/quote]perhaps Riders and Lions home and home and the Rider's coming to town for a second game. I see them potentially dropping their first game in Calgary next Saturday. splitting the home and home with Montreal.(especially going to Montreal on yet another short week...who else has had TWO short weeks so far this season. and rebounding with a home win coming off a bye over the Stamps. they definitely have to get better as the season moves on. but the 7-0 start will definitely give them a leg up moving forward. I also foresee a tough Sunday for the Rider's LOL.

No - he was at Safety - huge mistake to put guys who are not a real Safety at free Safety. Can't imagine many guys in the defensive backfield were happy with that decision by the coach. Especially when Hutter has played so well back there in both of our wins....

Halfbacks and DB's are your takeaway guys - free safety picks up the misses and doubles where needed

1 Like

Stamps stomp Bombers coming soon

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers came away with win in Edmonton in Week 7 against the Elks. The Bombers looked very beatable throughout this contest. :thinking:They will need a marked improvement in Week 8 versus the Calgary Stampeders. :question: I predict the Stamps will win by plus 14 points at home. :bangbang:

P.S The Stamps must however be on their "A" game. This means going for a TD immediately after a turnover in Bomber territory. The team who wins the turnover battle will likely be the Winner. :football: :canada: :fast_forward: :hash: :one:

my word how many times will people use "the Bombers looked beatable" narrative. Friday night was not their best game for sure but at no time did I think they were in danger of not pulling it out. as hit and miss as their offence was in the first half when it came down to crunch time in the fourth they put together a nine minute touchdown drive to basically put the game away. you don't get to 7-0 through luck. I'll be the first to admit the Bombers haven't really played their best ball yet. and still they keep winning that should be a scary thought for all those saying how lucky and beatable they are. wait until they start getting healthy and rested. they are experienced enough to know that as a top contender you grind through the early season and pile up as many wins as possible. October is when you want to start having your game peaking. as for the Stamps obviously Saturday is a game the Bombers could very well lose. of course everyone was saying that when they walked into Vancouver on a short week and kicked the Lions butts. nonetheless I am not naïve enough to think they won't lose at some point this season. however a 7-0 start makes having to absorb a loss or two moving forward a whole lot more palatable. especially when you factor in that in week 12 the scenario is reversed the Stamps on a short week are in Winnipeg to play a Bomber team coming off their first bye of the season.

3 Likes

I think if three of our six injured starters were ready to play again that could well be a "marked improvement". I'm still trying to catch up on who some of these new players are, and they're filling in for all-stars and we're still undefeated so far.

2 Likes

Very beatable, not as good as they were, lost too many players to FA / NFL. The Bombers are 7 - 0 despite ten players on 6 game & 3 starters on one game injury list. Despite short weeks & lack of practice time, despite no bye week, despite ending two top teams win streaks. The Bombers are just not that good?

2019 the Bombers were off to a great start with Matt Nichols squeezing out win's week after week and were only second to Hamilton, who were an unbeatable force in 2019. only to fall to the injury of Matt Nichols. Chris Streveler stepped up but only managed to keep the Bombers in playoff contention dropping 5 of 8 games, things looked bleak for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers Before Collaros (BC) who simply wins games. But all the Ney Sayers suggested Zach was too old, breakable, washed up, overrated.....well you know, you were one of them. After Collaros (AC) the Bombers have been unstoppable, 24 - 1 in meaningful games, 2 Grey Cups First place for about 23 games or so. Yet despite all that the Bombers are just not that good. How 2022 ends is anyone's guess. But I dare say, who of you out there wouldn't trade for what your team has done, for what the Bombers have done in recent history.

Go Bombers Go

3 Likes

We get super duper stars Jeffcoat and Ellingson (possibly a few others) back next week. If human skycrane Agudosi can play then the same lineup that beat Calgary last time will beat them again. :partying_face:

2 Likes

No disrespect intended here but the league as a whole does not look as strong or competitive as it once was. The east division is an absolute disaster and I am at a loss on how this continues to happen. I have read a few comments on here on how the Bombers could have a potential perfect season which is great for them however I do not think that on their best day that they would come within three converted touchdowns of the Warren Moon Edmonton Eskimo dynasty. Even the Bombers of that era led by Ralph (sounds better than Dieter) Brock were a really strong team and believe me I am a Ticats fan so I know a little bit about mediocrity (the league). Only my opinion of course.

2 Likes

Mine too! We are awesomely mediocre! :partying_face: :boom: :hamburger: :beer:

3 Likes

If you take away peoples opinions here there's really not much left (only the boring stuff). The more the merrier!

2 Likes

Opinions are like Onions...

2 Likes