Bombers 'decided the fourth' in win over Stamps

CALGARY — With a 35-28 win over the the Calgary Stampeders on Saturday evening, the Winnipeg Blue Bombers improved to an 8-0 record and remain the only undefeated team in the CFL.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2022/07/30/bombers-decided-the-fourth-in-win-over-stamps/
1 Like

I'm as surprised as any of you that the Bombers played so well without Agudosi, Ellingson, Jeffcoat, Thompson and Walker. Looks like our walking wounded just stuck this wreck into overdrive and mowed down the Stamps out of spite.

Both teams played an amazing game. One of them ran out of time and thank gosh that wasn't us. :grin:

2 Likes

Calgary Stumps are not on the same level as Collaros & Winnipeg.
BC is the only team that could be a problem this year.

1 Like

Your probably right. But we don't face BC in back to back games until the last two weeks of the season. By then we'll probably be resting players, going out for pizza and frollicking in the surf. Hopefully no one gets sunburnt. :partying_face:

1 Like

That was a great game and full credit to the Bomber squad. Just too bad the wrong team got the "W". Now we have to put up with Bomber fans and their insulting remarks towards the Stamps. Nobody ever accused the Bomber fans of having Humility ! Right Nyronyro ?

? Insulting remarks? It’s the regular season. I try and save them for the post season. (After wins of course).

Also had the same thought that if we lost there would be some fun speculations and trash talking coming the other way. And the best part! We get to do it all again in 4 weeks!

1 Like

I'm glad my 2 favorite teams are my hometown Toronto Argonauts :anchor: & my Edmonton Elks in the mighty West division. The Bombers deserve full praise for their 8th victory over the Stamps :kissing_heart:in a rocking McMahon stadium :boom:. The Stamps suffered sub-par tackling all night long. :neutral_face: :face_with_peeking_eye: When you settle for field goals versus majors you usually come up short. :grimacing: They did win the special teams however :heart_eyes:

My game ball goes to Zack "Houdini" :cool: Collaros who is the most elusive pivot with the greatest show on turf. :football: :canada:

P.S. Another former Argo who went on to "Greener Pastures" :interrobang:

4 Likes

Agreed... it is the Bombers with a close behind Stamps team...BO looks amazingly good too by the way for those of us who predicted his demise...
Then there is the rest of the cfl... not even anywhere near being close to top two leaders,
This opens the argument that if the level of play stays consistent it should be the Bombers and the stamps in the grey cup as they ARE the two best teams. many many years in the past there have been two west teams that head and shoulders above the rest and it points to the cfl needing to change the playoff format to reflect a real attempt to always see the best two teams in the final. It would improve the all round quality of play in the league within two seasons. and almost always ensure we see the two best teams in the final as we should see.

I think you need to add B.C into this conversation. They didn’t quite hang in with us like Calgary has these past 2 games but Rourke took our top off 2 or 3 times for big touchdowns in that game.

And it hurts to say, I think Toronto is a close 4th. Every argument I have about Their wins to discredit them could be used against the Bombers in some of their wins. Argos have work to do, starting today by beating a weaker team(sorry Ottawa) at home but I as of now I think they are the top of the east and will be a force to reckon with come playoff time.

1 Like

As perfect an example of the pot calling the kettle black as I've read on this forum!

3 Likes

So many times (in any league) we as fans, get so excited about two great teams going head to head and in many cases, the game doesn't meet the hype. These two games didn't disappoint and were so much fun to watch, perhaps a little more fun for us Bomber fans but already looking forward to the game at IG field in August when these two teams meet again.

Three years ago today, the Bombers aquired Collaros for a fourth round pick. A fourth round pick for a guy who has had a seismic impact. How Crazy is that.

Took him a while to get into the line up but ever since he's done nothing but win. 25-1 in meanful games. Sorry, not including that lose to Calgary lose. He only played 1 quarter and it was a nothing game for both teams. Calgary didn't even play BLM for a full half.

A shout out has to go to Dalton Schoen, 4 catches for 80 yards and 2 touchdowns in only his 8th game in the CFL. 2nd in the league in receiving yards and 1st in receiving TDs. If it wasn't for Rourke, he would be the run away rookie of the year.

3 Likes

I don't think Rourke qualifies as a rookie anymore, so Dalton Schoen is the one to beat at this point of the season.

2 Likes

Lots to said about TO and BC... They both have great D's and great lines. But still at this point not up to Cowtown and the BOMBERS. Still lots of football to play and NFL cuts are imminent ... Some teams have already made roster room. Expect teams to get better with the NFL cuts and some teams struggling with injured players not on active rosters or in the case of some suspensions additionally... By the time the playoffs are here teams will be totally different talent wise too... And never had what took place in regular season play been a huge factor in winner takes all in any CFL play off matches. How many times in the last 15 or 20 have the riders been he bane of Cowtown in playoff semifinals or west finals... the other other way around before this time frame.

I stand corrected. You are right. I wasn't as familar with the CFL's rookie qualification as I am with the NHL's. After a quick google search I found this:

Seeing that Rouke dressed for 13 games last year including significant playing time in games against Saskatchewan and Edmonton, he would not qualify.
It's a long weekend; Saskatchewan lost; Winnipeg won and Dalton Schoen is the front runner for rookie of the year. It just keeps getting better.

4 Likes

This game was decided in the last 8 minutes of the game. Bombers take possession on their 40 yard line after Paredes makes it a 28-25 game in Calgary's favour. Bombers go on a 7 play / 70 yard / 4 minute drive and take over the lead. On the next offensive series Calgary goes 2 and out. With less than 3 minutes on the clock the Bombers kill another 2 minutes and score a field goal. With 17 seconds left and starting on their own 20 yard line, it would have been a miracle if Calgary tied the game.

Bombers defense didn't win this game but when it was counted on, they came up big. Whether it was limiting Calgary to field goals or late game stops.

Welcome back Nic Demski, we missed you.

2 Likes

I admit that until recently I never gave Collaros the credit that he deserves. Three years ago when the Bombers acquired him I thought he was a journeyman at best. Someone with enough experience to come in and help execute a game plan without completely crapping the bed, which he did. I thought with the Bomber's defense always giving their offense ample opportunities to put points on the board, and having Andrew Harris limiting the amount of second-and-long plays, Collaros did what was expected. Collaros didn't have to be great; just don't be bad. After watching his performance against BC, and now twice against Calgary, I change my mind. He is an amazing quarterback. Worthy of his MOP award and probably deserving of another one this year. The Bombers had nothing to prove to me this season, but Collaros did, and he has done it. I wouldn't apologize to the fans of the Bombers but I would to Zach himself for not seeing how great he really is. The Bombers are doing just fine without Andrew Harris. The same could not be said if the Bombers were without Collaros.

I guess the only team left in the west to take a run at the Bombers are the Riders. But they will need Cody to be healthy for anything positive to come from that. Cody's health won't get better this season without rest. Maybe the Riders can't afford to allow him that time?

BC may have to suffer more defeats against the Bombers in the regular season in order to gain enough knowledge and experience to take a shot at them in the playoffs. Calgary would take a serious shot at Winnipeg in the playoffs, and the Stamps also have to go toe-to-toe with BC as well. The teams in the west (Cal. BC. Sask. Edm.) have a lot of film to watch, plays to mask and perfect, and game planning to produce wins before they can even get to face the giants in the playoffs that are the Bombers, whose objective now has to be to keep the best QB in the league healthy.

3 Likes

The actual signing date for Zach to Winnipeg is October 9th trade deadline 2019, but I get the sentiment. :+1:

2 Likes

Exactly. It's Rourke's second season. I have been seeing multiple posts marking him as a rookie this season.

1 Like

Another big game and another choke job by Bo , this guy can’t win big games ever since 2018 , this does not surprise me

1 Like