Bombers choose Brazzell over Cavil?

[url=http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/CFL/Winnipeg/2007/02/06/3540497-sun.html]http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/CFL/ ... 7-sun.html[/url]

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/CFL/Winnipeg/2007/02/06/brazzell_chris250.jpg

The Bombers officially announced the signings of Brazzell, an import slotback, and backup Canadian defensive tackle Jon Oosterhuis yesterday. They would have become CFL free agents on Feb. 15, but both agreed to two-year deals that include options.

"One of my worst decisions that I made was a couple years back when I left B.C. and went to Hamilton and took money over playing on a team and being part of an offence," Brazzell said last night from Dallas.

"It's not time for me to leave right now. I need to stay where I'm at and just go from there. I couldn't afford to leave again.

"... There's so many guys in this league who have left a good situation ... and they're nowhere to be found."

When Brazzell got the contract from the Bombers in the mail, he put it in his drawer and left it there for a week while talking it over with his dad, Bombers slotback Milt Stegall and receivers coach Bobby Dyce.

Brazzell, 30, realized that he wasn't going to get his $125,000 salary again, since the team was already paying two other receivers -- Stegall and Derick Armstrong -- close to $200,000 apiece.

NOT MUCH LEVERAGE

He also knew that he wouldn't have that much leverage in the free-agent market after a 2006 season that featured a little razzle and not much more dazzle. He caught 43 passes for 604 yards and seven touchdowns.

"Do I really want to leave this just because I didn't have the season that I thought I was going to have?," Brazzell asked himself. "Should I leave this situation and try to become a free agent and go somewhere else knowing that there's hundreds of receivers they could sign besides Chris Brazzell?

"(The Bombers) could've signed anybody they wanted to, but they wanted me, and I appreciate that."

Bombers GM Brendan Taman was wary about letting the 6-foot-2, 203-pound deep threat reach free agency.

"He's going to play against you if you do, or at least have a chance to play against you," Taman said. "That's the reality of it. And I'd rather have him on our side than against us."

Brazzell admitted that he "disappeared" for about seven or eight weeks last season, but he feels the criticism he got was unwarranted. He noted that the underachieving Mike Quinn was his quarterback, and he and Jamie Stoddard were the lone CFL vets in the receiving corps for much of that time.

"It wasn't because I wasn't getting open," he said. "I just wasn't involved. People don't understand that."

Brazzell will remain in the wide-side slot position at which he finished the season, and despite deciding to stay put for a third consecutive year, he sounds like someone who is ready to make a fresh start.

"From the season I had last year," he said, "I can't do anything but go up."

i guess taman has picked Brazzell over Cavil?...bad move IMO!...both are same height and weight, both are imports, and play the same spot..but cavil has better hands and was making less than brazzell ( b4 the pay cut anyways ).

Brazzel is like a young girl on a date. He teases you from time to time and gets you excited, but never seems to put out Big Time.

Maybe staying with one team for a longer period of time will allow him to mature into a better receiver.

I guess only time will tell.

Taman indicated in another article that he is still interested in Cavil, but apparently Cavil is hoping to test his appeal in the FA market.

[url=http://winnipegsun.com/Sports/Football/2007/02/06/3539707-sun.html]http://winnipegsun.com/Sports/Football/ ... 7-sun.html[/url]

So now that Chris Brazzell is back, what's going to happen to Kwame Cavil?

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers had to choose between Brazzell and Cavil down the stretch and in the playoffs last season because they played the same position. Therefore, many believed only one of the free-agent slotbacks would re-sign with the club this year.

However, Bombers GM Brendan Taman is still talking to Cavil and hopes to have him under contract when the team opens camp in May, although it appears Cavil will test the market when he becomes a free agent on Feb. 15.

"When we went and played that playoff game in Toronto, we had a decision to make between Chris and Kwame, and we chose Chris," Taman said. "Now, that doesn't mean I don't want Kwame back, because I'm trying to do that. But there's only so many guys we can play, too, and we'll make those decisions in camp.

"I still foresee Kwame having a decent chance to be in our camp and signed, but his agent wants to wait and see what his options are, which is understandable."

The CFL's 2007 schedule hasn't been released yet, but a CFL source said the Bombers will play four games against the Hamilton Tiger-Cats (two home, two away) and three against both the Montreal Alouettes (two home) and Toronto Argonauts (two away). Their exhibition schedule will consist of a home game against the Argos and a road game against the Ticats, and they will start the regular season with two games against both the Edmonton Eskimos and Alouettes.

Well good on Chris for understanding the big picture. He’s in an excellent place, most fans apreciate his talent and I truly think that he has much more to show on and off the field as he matures.

....i don't think the Bombers are losing much by going with Brazzel over Cavil...both are talented receivers and either will be a great 'go to guy 'after Stegal and Armstrong...the BigBlue have a pretty decent looking receiving corps for 07.... and will definitely give a lot of opposition defences trouble, no matter whose throwing the ball....looking forward to it :wink: :rockin:

Actually in terms of talent, I believe that Brazzell is the better receiver, Cavil benefitted from having Copeland and Cahoon on the same team, and Calvillo throwing passes to him. He really has not proven himself otherwise, so if he does sign with the Bombers or any other team for that matter, he needs to prove that can be a good receiver and not just be a 3rd or 4th read for a QB on a talented receiving core.

Me too ... and realizing that changing teams can suck ... should help him focus

I want to know how much of a paycut Brazzell took if he’s making 100K then it’s a great signing.

atleast with Brazzell you know you can bench him in the second half if he didn’t have a great first half as he’s either hot or cold. Blue can just bench him and give AJ or Childs his spot in the second half if he’s cold after the first half. lol, Berry won’t do it but it’s an idea.

Cavil may still come to the Blue but he doesn’t but he thinks he deserves more then the 80K or so Taman offered him and he’s wrong.

cavil is selfish ,he thinks he is terrell owens, but has the talent of dana owens, the guy is overrated, and belong in the CIS.

He would still be the best number 4 or 5 receiver on the Bombers however.

Yeah 4 or 5 wideout but your not going to givve and american 90,00$ to be a 4th wide out my guess for are receviers would be
sb: Milt
Sb: Jamie
Wr: ArmStrong
Wr: Brazzel
Sb: franklain