Bombers boot Grigsby released outright !!!

This is starting to remind me of the 80's CFL where players were released all the time and fan identification with players was next to impossible cause turnover rates were ridiculously high.

Grigsby getting sat down did not work as the Bomber rushing attack was a rumor last game. I think at one point near halftime they had 9 yards rushing. At the beginning of the season he was playing great and at one point was right at the top of the league in rushing. Puzzling move. Some other team should pick him up (unless there were other issues behind the release that we don't know)

Also part of building a team starts with the “culture.” For the players this starts in the locker room. Grigsby played great there is no doubt. Once the secret was out defenses were well aware and well prepared for him. If he truly did have a huge issue with the team trying something different to break a slump then he may not be the guy for that culture. They did place import hyvrid McGuffie on the 46. It could be that Grigsby balked at the idea of sharing more time with Cotton and the Bombers just one gamed him due to that.

Listening to O'Shea's presser about Grigsby calling a player in and redifining his role for a game is certainly a very normal thing for any club. Trying to set a spark when your team is slumping again very normal. Until Injured Cotton certainly showed he has the ability. So it could be very well possible that Grigsby was asked to change roles with Cotton and start the game as a back up and to return Kick Offs, which Grigsby would certainly have the ability to be a top Kick Off returner.
Could have been a very likely plan to go with the 2 RB system which again is something not out of the ordinary. No RB in today's CFL or other high levels of football be it NFL or NCAA to be part of a 2 back system should cause a player to ask for his release.
A bit too early to judge Grigsby on his attitude for other teams CFL or outside the CFL to look at. He did play that final 2012 season in the UFL where the league could not pay its players but he played very well in splitting time at RB on a Vegas team that sees quite a few players now in the CFL of other pro football leagues

I think you would have to be pretty naïve to think that Grigbsy is only player in the dressing room thinking that way. He may have been the only one stupid enough to spout off about it but that doesn’t make him a cancer, just immature.

What’s leaking out now is that he was unpopular with his teammates.
You just don’t quit when you face a little adversity, you push on, harder than ever.
Also, he may have received poor advice from his new agent.

I say good riddance. He can take his ball and go home.

In truth, the Nic Grigsbys of the CFL are not all that difficult to replace. Look at some of the talent at the RB position in the last couple years. Guys like Cory Boyd, Avon Cobourne, Kenton Keith, Joffrey Reynolds, Kory Sheets …the list goes on and on. When they're playing well, they seem irreplaceable. But when it goes sideways for whatever reason, hardly anyone remembers their names unless they're playing CFL trivia. They get replaced by fresh talent, pretty quick. Same, same for Grigsby. Bombers will be fine without him.

I think more and more they sat him down vs the Esks to give him a break. He's had a lot of touches and taken a lot of hits so far this year. He hasn't been as effective in recent weeks and seems to have lost a step. Remember this was a guy who stood around a lot scratching his crotch while playing baseball last year so maybe they felt the physical play has taken a toll on him. Then he comes out with his twitter comments knocking his teammates. The probably told him that was unacceptable and that he was going to sit another week as punishment and he balked. That's just my guess. Regardless IMO it's good he's gone given his comments and actions.

I find it amusing he continues to head to twitter to defend himself and talk about how his former Bombers teammates support him in his decision. Based on what's seemed to come out about him since is they are glad he's gone, just not for whatever reasons he's stating. Like others have said, RBs are replaceable. Cotton will get a few games to showcase himself. I think there's a good chance we see someone entirely new in that spot in 2015.

Legitimate reason for concern on the surface, but based on the Troy Smith release and how he can’t play for another team the rest of the way, this seems like one of those deals where there will naturally be a few cuts for a day or two (because it’s a good time for teams to do so) then things will go back to normal.

Not as well-known a name, but Ottawa released Brandon Lang too, who had played and started most of the season. Seemed weird at the time, but he’s probably a similar situation for that team.

Unless he was a huge cancer in the lockeroom, (not just “he had a bad attitude” etc), cutting a guy who was among lead leaders in a few offensive categories undervalues both the player, the team, and the league as a whole. The fact that he was picked up/or is about to be picked by another team almost immediately speaks volumes. Now the Bombers do have another good back but cutting the guy who beat out your new starter for a job at the beginning of the season does not look good

If he hadn't asked for and been granted his release, he'd still be a Bomber, but a back-up. The only thing people would be saying about him is that he started out strong but tailed off and lost his job to Cotton.

I dont think it looks bad on the league or the team or even on Grigsby in general. A lot of emotion and jobs on the line tough choices are made and reactions happen. The Bombers were slumping big time and they were not cutting Grigsby. Some players react differently and may have said its best for now for the overall team. Cottont plays well, Gossen gets time on the Oline, and Both Cotton and Grigsby could have been in the line up together next game.
Grigsby made a choice to leave taking his now much better resume with him.
The things that happened behind closed doors who knows how that may have gone down.
As for Brandon Lang he no doubt is a good football player. Nationals Justin Capicciotti also coming from the Esks has had a breakout type season as National DE's have been few and far between in recent years. Rookie National Kalonji Kashama also has an upside as a rush end will need playing time.
Ottawa as an expansion team and Winnipeg in a complete rebuild will just need to make some tough choices. Both now really out of the playoff hunt will want to get a look at some different players.
On a very positive side for the Bombers is that not only did Cotton show his big play ability but also Brian Brohom showed as well that he is very comfortable in running a CFL offense, with a solid performance against a top defense. Marve was able to come in and play with confience and his young athletic ability caught the Stamps off guard. Keeping Marve at the #3 spot to develop and not force him into a spot like Demarco in 2013 and Sunseri this season

First off, Grigsby did not win the starter’s job at the beginning of the season. He would’ve been cut according to many observers including myself after watching him in practices and preseason games. Cotton outperformed him in every way but got hurt in preseason game B vs the Stamps. He got the job thanks to an injury and kept it because of early season personal and team success. Once healthy they tried to bring Cotton onto the roster to push Grigsby at home vs the Esks but on the first touch of the game, an out to Cotton, he bobbles it and Odell Willis takes it off his hands and runs it in for a score. After that it was back to the PR for Cotton and Grigsby kept his job for a while longer.

The word is that he was indeed a cancer in the locker room. He’s tweeted that his former bomber teammates support him in his decision yet no one’s said anything positive about him. Local reporters who love to grind the Bombers with bad press like Paul Friesen can’t get anything out of the players other than Grigsby was a problem in the locker room.

He was a league leader in rushing only because we fed him the ball more than any back in the league. His avg/carry was 2nd worst amongst starters next to Whitaker, and he had obvious problems running the ball.

As for the Ticats scooping him up quickly - no surprise there. They had Gable coming off a great rookie season and barely used him when he was healthy. Then after he gets hurt they turn to Madu but barely use him as well. Then they burned through two more guys this weekend who didn’t work out and instead used a receiver in Sinkfield to run the ball. The Ticats haven’t handed off to a RB 10 times even once this season so he won’t be getting the touches he got here. Lucky for Grigsby he can block a bit and will be used in the pass game. Good luck to him there.

It's Official,signed,sealed and delivered, Madu and Grigsby at practice today :smiley: :cowboy: :smiley:

http://scontent-a-sea.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xaf1/t51.2885-15/10727520_1395886653983818_1579293729_n.jpg

It seems to me all his success happened before teams figured out that if he was forced into traffic he is an easy tackle. Even when he had success it bothered me that he went down so easy.I can’t remember which game but I remember an opponent reaching out with 1 hand and bringing him down.Some of his numbers lately have been horrendous. Granted a serviceable O line would help :lol: For me his tweets about 1 facing 12 (as in he has no help)take the cake. There are way to many RBs out there to allow that.Case in point we just brought in another one.But I don’t blame Hamilton for signing him. You have injuries, and a chance to sign a RBwith experience and some success, albeit limited.

You do know what Hamilton will say when they release him, right?
It's just a business decision Nic.

well stated.

Also, as touched on earlier…the Cats do token runs, so it is not a massive deal who is back there…blocking is the key for their RB.

We shall see as the remaining games of the year proceed for Hamilton and Grigsby. It's hard to say anything when we as fans don't know squat about what went on in Winnipeg, it's between the player, the team and the coaches.

Grigsby has a new home in Hamilton and an opportunity to carry on where he left off in accumulating rushing yards and catching passes, the change in environment alone could make the difference if he's a success or not?

GO CATS GO!!!