Bombers' Approach to Evaluating E-Camp Talent

This article in today's Winnipeg Free Press provides some insight on how Bombers' head coach Mike Kelly will evaluate talent at the CFL Evaluation Camp:

[url=http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bombers/bombers_brass_ready_to_book_em-40891007.html]http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports ... 91007.html[/url]

I thought GM's and coach's had to have the ability to assess players properly using their own experience and skills.
A book that heavy to do the same thing? What a joke.
I hope Kelly was evaluated using the same standards he wants his players to meet.

The bombers can't pick till the 3rd round so I don't really know why they are even covering it.

How could a book of blank charts assess the player’s abilities, mr62?

If the General Managers and coaches didn’t fill out a binder
with records of the players tested at the combine to refer to

one might consider them to be a joke, mr62cats.

Let me assure you, the General Managers and coaches
will be discussing the players abilities by going over

these records long and hard applying every bit
of their own experience and evaluation skills.

So if what you say is correct....why did we end up with Timmy Chang (and others) who were not up to par? His poor scouting reports were posted on this forum yet he was still hired. I put it down to bad decisions by the coaching staff and GM at the time.
Which is the point I was making..and you have missed.
Who evaluates the evaluators? All teams keep records. That's not the issue. A massive book like Kelly's means zip unless the coach can spot real potential. Overkill on Kelly's part. Looks good but means little until game time.

So if what you say is correct....why did we end up with Timmy Chang (and others) who were not up to par? His poor scouting reports were posted on this forum yet he was still hired. I put it down to bad decisions by the coaching staff and GM at the time.
Which is the point I was making..and you have missed.
Who evaluates the evaluators? All teams keep records. That's not the issue. A massive book (which is what the story was about) like Kelly's means zip unless the coach can spot real potential. Overkill on Kelly's part. Looks good but means little until game time.

Yes, the Bombers don't pick until round three, but...

From what I've read, the Ticats are very interested in aquiring Dan Goodspeed, so maybe Kelly would offer Goodspeed for the #1 pick in the draft, so Winnipeg can take Rottier (the Bombers are badly in need of quality Canadians on their O-Line since losing Gauthier and Picard).

If I were Obie, I wouldn't take that deal. I think Rottier could play the next ten years in Hamilton, whereas Goodspeed is making a ton of cash, and he probably has two more quality years left in him. But if the Ticats aren't confident in the abilities of Gerald Davis at RT, you never know...

There has been nothing about this in the Winnipeg media, have you heard anything recent about this in the Hammer ?

Ed Tait of the Winnipeg Free Press has mentioned the Ticats' interest in Goodspeed several times.