Bombers & Als Trade DEs

February 26, 2010
The Winnipeg Blue Bombers have completed a trade with the Montreal Alouettes and have acquired non-import defensive end Stan van Sichem in exchange for import defensive end Gavin Walls.

van Sichem (6-2, 229, Regina ‘08 DOB: April 2, 1987 in Amsterdam, Netherlands) had an outstanding career at the University of Regina, where he became the school's all-time leader in career sacks. He was drafted by the Montreal Alouettes in the 4th round of the 2009 Canadian Draft. van Sichem began the season on the Alouettes’ practice roster before missing Games 9 through 18, the East Division Final and the Grey Cup with a knee injury.

"Stan is a very fast and relentless football player and we look forward to him competing for a spot on our roster," said head coach Paul LaPolice.

A talented starter for a practice roster guy?

I would say the Als easily win this trade.

Can you say"SALARY DUMP!" :smiley:
Pat Lynch(the old guy in section 7)

I'm not so sure who 'wins' this trade. . . Walls was very impressive when he first came to the CFL, but his game sure seemed to tail off last season. I know nothing about the kid the Bombers are getting in return, so I really can't judge. ..

I think there's a lot of concern as to Wall's recovery from his knee surgery last year. He's on the wrong side of 30 now and coming off major knee surgery so I think it's a case of get something for him while we still can. We're pretty stacked at DE so it's not too much of a concern.

Give away a solid DE that was a major part of a great D-line (one of their few units that did anything in 09) for an unknown NI ?
If this is a cap thing their books must be a mess.

Since the honeymoon with LaPolice and Mack is still in full force this trade will be viewed as good because Walls is so over -rated and, after all, you always need NIs. If the Bombers are tanking by Labour Day this trade will have gone under a dramatic re-appraisal.
Book it.

In Winnipeg? Never.

Gavin Walls is one of my favourite players in this league. A class guy who gives 100% on every play. It's too bad we couldn't get our hands on him, you can never have enough good pass rushers. His salary might be a bit of a question mark, but I think we have the most cap room in the league. I seriously think Winnipeg could have gotten a 2nd round pick for him instead of a question mark N/I defensive end. I was hoping Gavin would end up in black and gold one day, but it's good to see he'll be playing for a winner.

I would've loved to have gotten Wall's also.We have DECENT DE's in Hickman and Long, but the talent level drops off after that.Garrett McIntyre's at his best when he's a DT IMO.

Trade is even weaker when one consdiers just how rare starting NI DEs are. If this guy even makes the team he'll be STs or converted to something else.

With few exceptions I almost feel sorry for anyone who plays or works for WPG. In the eyes of a lot of their fans once you're there you're golden. But immediately once you're cut , traded or fired there's a bullseye tattooed on your back and you get labelled with every putdown in the business. See Berry, Marshall, Canada, Roberts , Armstrong....went from heroes and leaders to incomptetent, overrated and jerks virtually overnight.

Here's a paragraph the Montreal Gazette's report. I love the Alouettes' description of how they intend to employ Walls:

"Walls, 6-foot-2 and 235 pounds, potentially compensates for the loss of Keron Williams, who signed with British Columbia as a free agent. He'll join the mix of Als pass rushers and expects to give the team a rotation of relentless pressure, according to management."

As an addon they Bluebomber also released Lenny Walls, he had 7 INT's last year, hmmm interesting

Never were truer words spoken Zontar, it's rather funny how much abuse former bummers take.... Glenn is STILL taking it on their forums!

Glenn, how could I forget, he's probalby the best example of all.
2010 and Glenn still hasnt been replaced yet they cant admit they unfairly ran him out of town.

they unfairly run everyone out of town, it's the Bomber tradition :slight_smile:
torches and pitchforks all the way to the airport

Winnipeg freed up cap space. A win for them.

My Als got the better player. A win for us.

IMO the NI issue is moot in this case, as it's highly unlikely that this guy will become a starter at his position. Everyone talks about the importance of non-import depth, but what they really should be saying is that it's important to have quality non-import depth. Andy Fantuz, for example, is great NI depth. But not every player you acquire is going to turn into Andy Fantuz.

If Walls is healthy and makes it past training camp, I think he'll show he still has plenty of gas left in the tank. Yes, 30 is old in football terms, but it's not like he's a running back. Doug Brown is 35. Anwar Stewart is 34. Defensive linemen can still be very productive in their early '30s.